Author Topic: An open apology to Mike Cook  (Read 9219 times)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
An open apology to Mike Cook
« on: July 12, 2005, 10:33:41 PM »
I pissed a few people off with my post about the lack of runs at an SCTA meet. At least by the phone calls and e-mails I have received, apparently I am the scourge of the earth. I have now learned that this computer conversation stuff can be quite dangerous. If you have a normal conversation with a friend, and you call something ?stupid? it is just another colorful word taken in context with tonal range and emotion. On the other hand, if you call something ?stupid? in jest on a message board. Well ya better expected all hell to break loose. People will take it this way or that way. What I am finding out is that most will take it the ?wrong? way. I should have known better. Earlier this year, someone said something derogatory about my company and I was extremely offended. It seems context is lost. Fortunately several people came to my defense and it made me feel better. So lacking a memory and common sense to keep my mouth shut, I vented a little frustration and made a post on this site. I reread and removed this post today, it was out of line. I commenting to the lack of runs we make compared to the ECTA on a thread. I alluded, that the fault was at the president and his staff. Never less I heard through the grapevine that I offended Mike Cook, his family, his board members, and it seems a lot of roadster drivers. The roadster drivers I don?t care about (just a joke LOL stop the hate mail) I do care about the Cook family! I am sorry if I offended you in any way. Mike you do a lot of good for our organization that people don?t know about. People might say ?yeh he?s the pres we?re sure he does stuff? but really, you do a lot more for us than people would imagine. I wish you would get on this site and blow your horn and let people know how much you do. You deserve credit. I am sorry Mike! As for the cook family, they deserve a ton of credit. Every time Mike is working late on a racecar, or is at a board meeting, his family suffers but yet still supports him so he can help us. For that, they have my deepest respect. I am sorry to have offended you. As for the board members and volunteers?. well by now I hope they would have developed thick skin to help deal with opinionated buttheads (ok, assholes) like me. Just in case you haven?t, I?m sorry! You guys and gals do a lot to make our sport better and don?t let some buttheads comments steer you from your course. Thank you for all your hard work.
Well I learned a big, ok HUGE lesson from this one folks. From now on if I don?t have anything good to say??. I?ll go back to my old way and say it to your face instead of this computer crap. As for the apology to the roadster drivers??..LOL

Kent Riches

PS. remember racers, be in your race vehicle and ready to run 3 cars back. Always pull all the way off the course to the cones after a pass. As a courtesy to your fellow racers.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 01:41:44 AM »
Well said  Kent.. :!:

landracing

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 11:02:26 AM »
Kent well stated.

The purpose of the board is to let peoples objective sides being heard round the world. Discussions, maybe a little group therapy.

But I feel that if there is a problem with something this is a great place to voice an opinion. Why... Because you get people from all around the world adding to the dialog and possible come up with a better solution OR add ideas in the mix. Just as long as they are heard is the important thing from Landracing.com's point of view.

There is no favortism here on the site, everybody gets equal value.

Jon

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 02:41:52 PM »
Thanks John, Jon, Scott
You guys and those who know me know I don?t have a problem with voicing my opinion. I am a 20+ year business owner and have an ability to spot problems and not afraid to tell ya how to fix them. The problem here is that I used a colorful adjective in writing that unintentionally hurt someone. And the situation got blown up. I?m cautious of what I do, and live a life that I don?t hurt people physically or verbally. But this time, I did something ?stupid?(oops there?s that word again) and put a derogatory term in writing and, boy I learned my lesson. If ya read some of my other posts I am usually kinda positive in my suggestions. But this time??..man??.. I don?t know what I was thinking!

Peace and grease,
Kent Riches

PS. remember racers, be in your race vehicle and ready to run 3 cars back. Always pull all the way off the course to the cones after a pass. As a courtesy to your fellow racers.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 08:00:36 PM »
Kent, its good to read your apology, you are not the first and probably not the last  person to over state a case and bring names into the post.  
We all need to remember this site is to discuss, argue, and even poke a little fun, but we also need to remember that we all don't think the same things are funny, as J.D. and myself are the only two funny guys on here anyway!  Seriously, I wish that Mike Cook, Marlo Treit, and a lot of the old timers would start posting on this site, and share some of the knowledge, insight, and stories ( not involving Donna's Bunny Ranch), so we can all share more of what makes LSR special.   See you all in 30 days..............ah, the smell of NITRO in the morning!!!!
Bob Drury

Offline promachine

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 10:23:09 PM »
1212fbgs, for the record. I didn`t say a word about your post to Mike
even  though I see or talk to him allmost daily. I figure he has enough
on his mind, and has heard that rap many times before.
I and many other racers share your passion for more runs, and getting
things to run smoother. No harm done. Stop by the 811 pit this weekend,
I`ll have a cold one for ya.
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler

Offline DallasV

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 10:36:51 AM »
I?m still a little chapped about one thing. ?Stupid roadster drivers.? Hey I resemble?eh?err?resent that remark. They told us we?re special not stupid. Got to run, I have to catch the short bus.

Dallas
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
an open apology
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 11:22:28 AM »
Dallas
stupid roadster drivers,let me see, the most spins are roadsters and they have as many rules as motorcycles. Just kidding about the rules LOL.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 12:15:58 PM »
There are only 2 types of race cars. Cars with no tops and roadsters...LOL J.D. (In his infinate wisdom and after many years of experience Mr. Cook now has both of these.)
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline joea

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 01:41:13 AM »
while JD enjoy's the  brown non tan nose..........
I want to say how much I appreciate Kents, Scotts
and others posts.............as I have made it an unintentional
art form (most of the time) to offend folks on the net........

I am in stupendous company..........

Joe (jack D. is my mentor) Amo  :)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Laugh on the outside, cry on the inside.
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 08:36:18 AM »
I want to comment about "stupid roadster drivers" too but I won't.
My roadster driver most often speaks for himself. LOL
"You can lead a horse to water and don't forget drowning is an option. Some are just not worth saving from themselves."
Cutting somebody off at the knees so they fit in a smaller place is best if the healing process starts right away before they bleed to death.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2005, 10:25:21 AM »
Regarding my earlier post, on second thought, I would like to hear some of the old timers stories, INCLUDING Donna's Bunny Ranch............. :shock:
Bob Drury

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 04:28:02 PM »
Thanks Bob D....Some time when he has the time you should listen to Cooks side of driving Les Leggitts "One Way Special" lakester at B'ville in 1974. 300 inches of Blown Chrysler on about 80% without a wing.  A Woody Gilmor car built as a lakester for Les.. Mike may have still been in his teens with Penny there to keep him on the "straight " line. His top speed was over 290.
In 76 with a wing it went over 310 with Bobby Noice in the seat....Those were to good old days I remember...One Course, 2 lines and nobody in the pits...Everybody was in line...J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2005, 04:30:42 PM »
Opps one more thing, well 3, ok 4. On 93 north out of Vegas------Sherry's, Judy's, and the Kit Kat Ranch...Then off to Ely.