Author Topic: Travel Route to Loring  (Read 5770 times)

Offline wheels777

Travel Route to Loring
« on: July 21, 2009, 07:16:52 AM »
I have a 102" wide trailer.  Some roads do not allow trailers and some do not allow 102" specifically.

We are planing on trying to avoid NYC.  I am thinking about going the following route

83 - 81 - 84 - 90 (Mass Pike) - 495 - 95 - 295 - 95 - 1   
(We are staying in Richmond for a night visiting friends and going to a whale watch Thursday morning.)

Does anyone know of a trailer restriction? 
Any truckers have advice? 
Am I allowed to get onto the Mass Pike? 
Is there a group traveling as a carvan?
Maine appears to be very remote.  How is the Diesel availabilty? 
How is the cell phone coverage?
#9270 - 1954 Studebaker

Offline Commuta_Busa

Re: Travel Route to Loring
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 08:29:37 AM »
I would try and avoid 295 since there's major construction for that stretch of hwy. I plan on staying on 95 through that area.

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 11:37:17 AM »
Good Plan, good advice from Commuta Busa. All I can add is at least the last 100 miles of  I-95 is kinda remote and not a lot of gas stations. I usually stop at Medway, ex 244 for gas/Coffee, snacks, dewatering. After getting off in Houlton (ex 302) there are all kinds of truck stops. Make sure to stay straight north on US 1 after Mars Hill, all the way up  to Limestone and left on Access rd 89 to the Track.

Offline half-fast

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 03:37:55 PM »
Route looks good to me, no trailer restrictions, consider staying on 95 instead of 295 bypass, If you have one of those electronic toll tags, (called EZ pass in NY) get it setup for/with the trailer in tow, save a bunch o time at the tolls, (MA and ME) Cell phone coverage is decent along 95 in Maine to Newport which is where I usually exit 95., you did forget to throw in the stretch of 290 in MA from 84 to 90.

Hartford CT can be a pain in the aspen if you hit it during commuter hours, heavy traffic.

I have a 102" wide trailer.  Some roads do not allow trailers and some do not allow 102" specifically.

We are planing on trying to avoid NYC.  I am thinking about going the following route

(We are staying in Richmond for a night visiting friends and going to a whale watch Thursday morning.)

Does anyone know of a trailer restriction? 
Any truckers have advice? 
Am I allowed to get onto the Mass Pike? 
Is there a group traveling as a carvan?
Maine appears to be very remote.  How is the Diesel availabilty? 
How is the cell phone coverage?

Offline gofast

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 04:31:34 PM »
There is a gas station at the Lincoln exit also. All gas stations have diesel. We have big trucks up here,too. :-D
It's not like you were driving accross the salt flats.
Watch out for moose and see you when you get here!
Bonneville is proof that God loves us and wants us to go fast.

Offline tedgram

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 06:54:08 PM »
  Limestone is less remote than where i live in Maine. I've worked up there and there are good places to eat and drink.

Offline gofast

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 08:06:32 PM »
Now Cutler, that's the end of the earth! :lol:
Bonneville is proof that God loves us and wants us to go fast.

Offline legend6me

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 11:13:39 AM »
VP Truck driver says that you won't have any trouble with 102 wide.

A good place to stop for deisel and good food is Dysarts Truck Stop.  Just South of Bangor  off I-95, Coldbrook Rd. Exit 180    http://www.dysarts.com/

Offline Frank06

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 07:05:23 AM »
The advice about watching out for moose is serious, every year there's a lot of collisions.  They can be *very* big and are dumb as a hake (as Tim Samples likes to say.)   :-D
E-Racer

Spectator

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 08:19:33 AM »
When I drive through there in "handling challenged" vehicles, I avoid CT entirely.

87 goes up through NY.  It is longer but far straighter and less traffic than the eastern part of 84.

I suggest 83 - 81 - 84 - 87 - 90 - (290 optional) - 495 - 95

This will take an hour longer, but it tires me less than the more congested & contentious roads.
Hartford CT can be a pain in the aspen if you hit it during commuter hours, heavy traffic.
I am thinking about going the following route
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 08:21:44 AM by Spectator »

Offline tedgram

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 08:25:28 AM »
  Especially at night. With their dark color and hight they don't show up well in headlights until you are too close. I've hit one and have had a lot of close calls.

The advice about watching out for moose is serious, every year there's a lot of collisions.  They can be *very* big and are dumb as a hake (as Tim Samples likes to say.)   :-D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 08:27:44 AM by tedgram »

Offline Commuta_Busa

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 02:29:28 PM »
with all of these moose warnings I'm more worried about my safety getting to and from then the actual safety at the track.  :-o

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 06:40:29 PM »
OK, Let us get real. Moose warnings are like Deer warnings, how often have you hit a Deer ?  Moose are far less plentiful than Deer, even in Maine, so realistically it's not that likely you'll have an encounter with either.
If you are still worried , buy a pair  of those silly little whistles that people mount on their front bumpers to ward off Deer,  they don't do a damn thing thing except give you a false sense of security.
And then you want to drive well over a hundred miles per hour on our runway ? Put your energy into your car and your Safety equipment, the closest you'll get to a Moose is at the Limestone Fire Dept Barbecue at our event, they may have Mooseburgers.
Bob W

Offline wheels777

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 09:32:55 PM »
I traveled in Maine for work and we were on remote roads near Eliot, Brewer, Searsmont, Wood Chpping Ridge, Baileyville, etc..  We searched for a Moose and thought we saw one way off in the distance in a valley.  Watching for hairy J-walkers is nothing new to a PA boy.

Thanks for the input.  We leave Wednesday morning if all goes well.  We will layover in the Richmond area.  If you see a Green Ford crew cab pulling a white 102 with a small blue ECTA sticker in the upper left rear door....beep and waive....we are the Nelson family.
#9270 - 1954 Studebaker

Offline dickj

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 10:20:25 PM »
The truck is packed, the car is chained down on the trailer and we hit the road at sunrise tomorrow.  I guess we might be the first to be on the way.  We've got friends and family to visit along the way in Alabama and New Yawk, and Massachusetts.  We should be at the Caribou Thursday afternoon.  We got beer for Bwanna and genuine Mexican tortillas for Laura.  If we get in early enough, will go to the track and unload the car and trailer.  See ya'll then.

DickJ
In East Texas