Author Topic: World Class Driving  (Read 4376 times)

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
World Class Driving
« on: July 20, 2009, 04:44:20 PM »
I have been invited to participate at a World Class Driving extreme event at some airfield in the Mojave this Nov. I guess they have a bunch of very exotic (read expensive) street cars that are supposedly capable of running up to 200mph. No records of course but it sounds like quite an experience to just be able to drive these cars. Is anyone familiar with this event and where the airfield in the Mojave is they are talking about? I might combine the trip with one to the last El Mirage meet. Have always wanted to go there.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 04:53:17 PM by Richard Thomason »

Offline Richard Thomason

Re: World Class Racing
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 04:50:56 PM »
Oops, I guess it's called World Class Driving, not racing.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: World Class Driving
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 05:09:47 PM »
http://worldclassdriving.com/events/extreme_events/id/10

Prices
Driver Club members: $4495.
New Customers: $4995.

Remember, this opportunity is only available to an exclusive 200 Drivers per year.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Robin UK

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 10:25:22 AM »
Richard,

I had a very small taste of something similar a while back (part of 60th birthday pressie from wife) so given the list of cars on offer for you to thrash (sorry - drive responsibly) I'm jealous as hell!  I had an afternoon at Brooklands with an intructor in an AMG SL63. One step down from the McMerc but with 580bhp still very exciting. Merc have built a museum, visitor centre, showroom and tracks within the confines of the old circuit. They start you with what is basically a drag strip and return loop but with sprinklers in the braking area to see how you get on handling panic stops. With the four wheel adaptive ABS linked to a steering sensor you just make sure the wheel is straight, take your hands off and hit the brakes. The whole thing shudders to a safe stop in a straight line. Amazing. With the ABS switched off it was back to that old "touching cloth" moment in the seating department. Having mastered/made a prat of yourself for a while, this is followed by two circuits - one with tighter bends and another with more flowing open corners. I'm pleased to say that Pirelli's finest took a hammering. My daily driver is a Merc and the weekend toy is a 289 Cobra so I'm used to all the electronic gizmos or a bit of right foot self restraint in order to make sure I stick around long enough to spend everything before my kids their hands on it. It's fun to switch everything off and smoke the tyres through the corners but it makes you realise just how much electronics contribute towards keeping things shiny side up these days. And then to really make you look a dick, they finish you on a large circular track set out in front of the decking area for the restaurant and it's punters. No problem until they switch the sprinklers on!! The idea is to get it sideways and keep it that way. The reality is some of that but lots of spins to make people cheer.You'll have a ball.

Robin

McRat

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 12:10:49 PM »
I haven't done that event, but I'll put in a shameless plug for the Bondurant Grand Prix school in Phoenix.

It took me a week to wipe the smile off my face.  :-D  Still about the most fun I've had in a car.  We used track-prepped Corvettes and Cadillac CTS's with outrigger setups.

It was a 3 day class to prep you for an SCCA roadracing license.  They start you out with the basics, then finally at the end, you do a real flying start (following the pace car) with other students on the roadrace course battling it out door-to-door.  IIRC, it was about $3500.  Not cheap, but at the end of the school, I felt it was a bargain for what I received.  It not only gets you ready for roadracing, but covers street driving emergency skills as well.  I wore out two sets of tires and a set of brakes, so just the spares were about 1/2 the class cost.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 12:24:01 PM »
I want to take a ride in the 2 seat sprint car they had on wind tunnel The other night. Suren looked cool. :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 03:27:57 PM »
I'm with Glen, Slideways is cool!!!
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline Richard Thomason

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 10:37:31 PM »
Actually, I was hoping someone could give me more info than I could get from the website. I somewhat would like to uphould the honor of us B-ville guys. I'm afraid I will "hair out" and not do our venue justice. If anyone has more info I would certainly appreciate it.
Richard