Author Topic: Car Tire on a bike ( video )  (Read 22749 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Car Tire on a bike ( video )
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2009, 12:06:11 PM »
needs a wheelie bar
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline bak189

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2009, 12:11:37 PM »
Not very smart racing a M/C wearing tennis shoes.....but...Hey, what do I know......been only in this game for the last 58 years...

PS. A good pair of gloves would also be a good idea..............................................................................
Question authority.....always

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Future Darwin award winner
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2009, 12:12:25 PM »
 :roll:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 10:16:44 AM by John Noonan »

Offline sabat

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2009, 12:32:45 PM »
Roy, I can appreciate your reasoning, and I like your outside-thinking. But what about Rich Yancy's stock-wheelbase, motorcycle-tire, 260mph bike? And Charlie Anstaett's 64", motorcycle tire, 259mph bike? Do you really need the wheelbase? I ran my ZX10 to 225mph at 60" wheelbase without a boost controller.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2009, 12:55:14 PM »
"Don't they stop the races when the wind gets "bad" "

Trouble is -- with 7 or more miles of course, the weather is different in different places.  And the old "notch" in the mountains, tho miles away, has an intermittent effect, too.

On another note (and not being one ever accused of termperence) -- having a couple of beers and waiting for the weather to change is a good idea, if you're waiting 'til tomorrow.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline joea

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2009, 01:05:48 PM »
......uh never did get an answer as to how Shane got his
nickname...........

Joe

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2009, 01:09:27 PM »
Stan, the wind speed is a call we make depending on the type of Vehicle. For stream liner bikes it's 6 mph in a cross wind. For cars 8 to 10 mph. For most others above 12 mph is where we start watching and notifing the starters of the conditions down course.Many vehicle only run to the 3 mile and are not effected like the long course vehicle that the notch does. Most of the fast vehicles alway ask for a report if they think the wind is a problem. ,One thing the drivers and riders must remember a head wind or a tail wind turns into a cross wind when they turn out. Seen many spins dou to this.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2009, 01:14:36 PM »
......uh never did get an answer as to how Shane got his
nickname...........

Joe

Shane=Warp12 or Roy=Wrongway? Thought you were wondering about Wrongway or are you just flabbergasted over the tennies & no gloves while admiring that outstanding display of throttle control?  :?

I know I know..... bad girl... back to your corner!
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline wrongway

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2009, 02:12:21 PM »

Just curious, Roy...what do you think caused the above scenario...not enough wheelbase...or poor control over power delivery? Just something to think about when you are not busy figuring out a way to utilize a dump truck tire.  :-D

Shane

The camera was in my lane  :-o   who need a picture with a boring 6" wheelie

Roy

Offline wrongway

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2009, 02:24:03 PM »
Roy, I can appreciate your reasoning, and I like your outside-thinking. But what about Rich Yancy's stock-wheelbase, motorcycle-tire, 260mph bike? And Charlie Anstaett's 64", motorcycle tire, 259mph bike? Do you really need the wheelbase? I ran my ZX10 to 225mph at 60" wheelbase without a boost controller.

I guess the question would be is when are these bike under full power ? I think I saw in one video clip that the turbo bike tune up was backed down from it peak to run at maxton.

Charlie told me he only got 1 or 2 passes per tire when I spoke to him last year. So yeah , they get down the track. But I dont think that means that improvements cant be made.

Roy

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Future Darwin award winner
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2009, 02:53:05 PM »
 :roll:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 10:17:06 AM by John Noonan »

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2009, 03:16:15 PM »
I tried a car tire at Bonneville back when we only had wire wheels and tubed tires. The square profile is NOT a good idea. Todays radials are so good there is NO reason to use anything else. You have not had a problem but you are rolling the dice and if you lose, we all lose. I guess the rules should be changed to protect us all.   Larry

Offline bak189

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2009, 03:34:16 PM »
As per the picture......I am wondering what dragstrip would allow him to race a 1/4 mile at speed wearing the gear, (or lack of it) as shown in the picture.......and "Wrongway" if you are stupid enough to race
as shown in the picture.........your opinion or input regarding a "car tire" means nothing to me..............
Sorry, I have a mean streak (just for today....I think)
Question authority.....always

Offline entropy

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2009, 04:49:49 PM »
I don't know shit from shinola, but the tone of the remarks about Roy's tire experiment remind me 110% of comments about Bill's 240 when he started using it.

Offline Warp12

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2009, 05:08:22 PM »
I don't know Subaru from shinola, but the tone of the remarks about Roy's tire experiment remind me 110% of comments about Bill's 240 when he started using it.

Bill's bike has went very fast. But I bet a lot of people still feel the same about that tire. Is it for good reason? Perhaps yes, perhaps no. But I don't think that we should wait until a catastrophic failure occurs in order to invoke the critical thought process, particularly when safety is the issue.

Shane