Author Topic: Car Tire on a bike ( video )  (Read 22756 times)

Offline 55chevr

Re: Car Tire on a bike ( video )
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 08:44:58 PM »
Years back I ran a Firestone Drag slick (car tire) on a fuel Kawasaki laydown drag bike. I was fine as it was straight away all the time and then on a run when it got a bit out of shape at the big end, I apparently lost the contact patch because of lean angle and it was a rodeo ride ... "I saw Jesus at a 1000 feet" ... happy ending but I converted to a bike drag tire laid out on a wide rim and it was a world of difference. Car tires have sidewall flex as the they are designed to work in pairs ... be careful with car tires on bikes ...

Offline Warp12

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 08:51:53 PM »
that lean angle in that picture is around 30 degrees and going into a corner. If you had to turn that hard at 200 you would be off track in a hurry. The camera is facing rearward and here is a pic further into the corner

the amount of leaning to make a correction would not get the tire on the side like this. I have made a dozen passes at maxton with this setup without any issue, I havent felt uncomfortable going thru the turn onto the runway even with nitrous. The video was to show that the bike was capable of making turns, not just a straight line setup.

Roy

It is good to hear that you have made 12 runs with incident, but that does not prove that the design is safe. It merely means that you have not crashed thus far.

Every machine has a solid safety record up until the point that it doesn't.

I certainly hope it works out well for you. I personally do not feel it is safe for Maxton.

Shane

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 10:02:24 PM »
I've never been on a LSR motorcycle so this is just my input, for what it's worth.

Motorcycle tire design and automobile tire design are based on different physics principles, we should all agree on that.  Likewise motorcycle rim design and automobile rim design are also based on different physics principles.

I would worry more about the strength and longevity of the motorcycle rim than the performance of the tire (but I would worry about the tire).

Years ago I mounted a 15X10 Indy race tire on a thrust driven bike. The idea was to have an Air Show machine that would race a Bede Jet down the run way.
We were fortunate to run into some very intellegent tire engineers before I rode the bike for the first time.

In this day and age there is no reason to run a car tire on a bike, except for looks.  Look at the bike tires that are that are being used in the dragracing Street Bike Shootout class.  These shootout tires go from zero to 180 plus MPH in the low 7 second range and the bike have NO WHEELIE bar....no street tire made can offer traction like that on a bike.

If you really want to learn about motorcycle tire construction read the book by Ray Taylor: Motorcycle Tire Basics  or follow this link.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Motorcycle-Tire-Basics&id=530176

Good Luck

Buzz
(and if I add a pun.....keep the rubber side DOWN!
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 10:54:50 PM »
Roy,  I am glad that this setup has worked for you so far, but automotive tires are not engineered to run on their edge like that.   Maybe it is ok for running the 1/4 mile but too much can happen in the 1 mile plus we are at speed in Maxton.  I also don't see why you feel you need it based on what others are running.  I don't know if you are running Loring but I personally would feel better seeing you back on a bike tire in September.  I would also like to see a rule change next season that covers this.

Offline joea

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 12:30:24 AM »
"""much better traction compared to a motorcycle tire on any surface except a well prepped dragstrip.

Roy"""

guess i should be getting some for the salt.........

wish i would have known of this sooner.....

ps....how did you get your nickname...?

Offline wrongway

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 08:58:24 AM »
"""much better traction compared to a motorcycle tire on any surface except a well prepped dragstrip.

Roy"""

guess i should be getting some for the salt.........

wish i would have known of this sooner.....

ok ,  maybe not good for the salt .... maybe I should have said "paved surface"

Roy

ps....how did you get your nickname...?

Offline Crosley

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 10:53:59 PM »
Quite few guy on 1800 Goldwings use a car tire on the rear.  They seem to like the run flat tire design the best.

And , yes some have been on the   Tail of the  Dragon with no problems
Tony in AZ...

"If you find yourself in a ditch.... let up on the throttle"

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 01:49:18 AM »
An 1800 Goldwing is a compact car, isn't it?   :?
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 06:58:09 AM »
An 1800 Goldwing is a compact car, isn't it?   :?

Compact car?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 07:18:35 PM by grumm441 »
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline entropy

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 07:30:27 AM »
Roy,
GREAT video!

We have had some pretty strong sidewinds at Texas, but simple solution.

Got a big sidewind, just don't run if there is any doubt of stability (which i know you don't have doubts anyway)

I have run at Texas in heavy 15-20mph gusting sidewinds and it is spooky as hell, AND mph is down.

Better off sitting back, have a few beers and then run when the wind dies down ;)

Offline Stainless Two

• newest member of the 199.9 club :)
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 07:51:51 AM »
i would much rather have a strong sidewind on pavement versus getting smacked with it on the salt at the 3-4...then the big lean to keep it straight feels almost safe...LOL
Look at my new RED HAT!!!!

#278 1000CC APS-G 208.959MPH record
209.093 mph best time

pit bitch to #1000 Bockscar

Proud to be a Texan!  in San Antonio

Offline entropy

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 08:43:47 AM »
For me, a steady strong sidewind is OK, not great, but not spooky.

But a strong gusting sidewind makes this ole scairdy cat pucker a bit.

I cannot even imagine what its like on salt.

Don't they stop the races when the wind gets "bad"???

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 09:03:19 AM »
For me, a steady strong sidewind is OK, not great, but not spooky.

But a strong gusting sidewind makes this ole scairdy cat pucker a bit.

I cannot even imagine what its like on salt.

Don't they stop the races when the wind gets "bad"???

I think they wait for a couple of cars to spin out due to wind first!  :evil:
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline wrongway

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 11:01:11 AM »
I will post a few more videos this week.

1. on an Interstate changing lanes - this should be more than a correction at the track and show what the contact patch and angle is in a race situation.

2. The same run as the original , but with a motorcycle tire. I am guessing that the motorcycle tire will have a small contact patch.

The reason for this testing was to be able to run a longer wheel base without spinning. Stock wheel base bikes wheelie easily  and if the bike is lowered  the headers or oil pan take a hit if you come down too hard. Add more power and the wheelies get worse.

I don't think anyone will say that doing tall wheelies on the track is a good idea, and I don't want to tear up my stuff either.

Add some wheelbase and the wheelies aren't as bad , and go far enough , they are impossible. But the problem is that longer wheel base means less traction on the rear and then tire spin is an issue.

At the drag strip this is taken care of with ultra soft compound tires, clean and smooth surface , and allot of rubber and VHT. Soft compound tires don't last long on at Maxton or the street, so unless you want to replace tires often, that is not a great option.  And that is how I got to the point where I am trying car tire ....

Offline Warp12

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2009, 11:54:53 AM »

Just curious, Roy...what do you think caused the above scenario...not enough wheelbase...or poor control over power delivery? Just something to think about when you are not busy figuring out a way to utilize a dump truck tire.  :-D

Shane
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 11:59:39 AM by Warp12 »