Author Topic: Car Tire on a bike ( video )  (Read 22765 times)

Offline wrongway

Car Tire on a bike ( video )
« on: July 20, 2009, 01:24:35 PM »
I am sure some of 'all have seen my bike with the car tire running at Maxton.  After building the new motor , I wanted to get some miles on it before the race in maine. So I made a video of the rear tire going thru some sweepers near the house to check out sidewall flexing and contact patch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi1shYlklFM

Roy

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Re: Car Tire on a bike ( video )
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 01:37:08 PM »
Roy, after seeing that video how do you feel about being under full acceleration and having to lean the bike over like that to stay straight because of a heavy cross wind?
Todd
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 01:41:55 PM by narider »

Offline wrongway

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 02:00:47 PM »
Roy, after seeing that video how do you feel about being under full acceleration and having to lean the bike over like that to stay straight because of a heavy cross wind?
Todd

that isnt an issue at all.... the lean angle on the video is much greater than leaning into a crosswind....

compare the angle between the sidewall and the horizon... the bike is going more than twice the recommended speed for the corner:-) You wont see anyting like that at Maxton

I dont think the lean angle on a crosswind is much more than the lean angle riding on a road with a crowned surface.

I really do have complete confidence with this setup.

Roy

Offline Warp12

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 03:19:08 PM »
What camera is that again? I like the quality of the video.

I know we've spoken about the car tire in the past. I personally feel that it is the wrong answer to the question.

Good luck in Maine, maybe I'll see you there.  :-)

Shane

Offline wrongway

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 03:25:11 PM »
What camera is that again? I like the quality of the video.

I know we've spoken about the car tire in the past. I personally feel that it is the wrong answer to the question.

Good luck in Maine, maybe I'll see you there.  :-)

Shane

the camera is a winbook 8321... great camera for 70 bucks .

Roy

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 03:57:23 PM »
LMAO...... lets see a trip down deals gap.....
kent

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 05:05:18 PM »
How dose it feel ? If you did not know the bike had a car tire what would you think of it?

I love the sparks from grinding the header the beginning of the video.  :evil:
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Future Darwin award winner
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 05:28:22 PM »

:roll:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 10:17:53 AM by John Noonan »

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 06:17:44 PM »
The 3 fastest bikes on pavement have all ran ran both Maxton and Texas.

They have all 3 proved successful in acceleration, deceleration, crosswind and turning stability.

They all 3 have more then double the horsepower of your Kawasaki.

All 3 of them run readily available off the shelf motorcycle tires.

The two fastest run the same stock sized motorcycle tires that came on your Kawasaki.

The contact patch is considerably less on a car tire then on a motorcycle tire if you lean at all.

I don't see the risk versus reward factor being in your favor, and think you can go faster without it.

Either way, good luck.
Todd
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 06:19:45 PM by narider »

Offline kiwi

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 06:35:08 PM »
From a performance point of view I can't see any advantages. I would think worse handling, less grip, and more drag. Or have you found it to be better than a motorcycle tyre somehow?

Offline wrongway

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 06:51:19 PM »
From a performance point of view I can't see any advantages. I would think worse handling, less grip, and more drag. Or have you found it to be better than a motorcycle tyre somehow?

much better traction compared to a motorcycle tire on any surface except a well prepped dragstrip.

Roy

Offline wrongway

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 06:56:25 PM »
I don't see the risk versus reward factor being in your favor, and think you can go faster without it.

Either way, good luck.
Todd

I wouldnt expect the speed to be any different between the motocycle tire and car tire at loring. Speeds were similar at maxton with both.

But I think I can run a longer wheel base without spinning with the car tire.
Roy

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Future Darwin award winner
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 07:25:07 PM »
 :roll:

« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 10:18:18 AM by John Noonan »

Offline Warp12

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 07:43:05 PM »
I am sure some of 'all have seen my bike with the car tire running at Maxton.  After building the new motor , I wanted to get some miles on it before the race in maine. So I made a video of the rear tire going thru some sweepers near the house to check out sidewall flexing and contact patch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi1shYlklFM

Roy

So, this is what you can possibly expect in shutdown after a 200 mph run, should you take the wrong line and have to adjust it late:

While your plan may be to keep the bike completely upright and perpendicular to the road surface, I am afraid that you will have to lean it to some degree at some point. And it may not be when you plan.

Shane
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 07:46:50 PM by Warp12 »

Offline wrongway

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 08:35:08 PM »

So, this is what you can possibly expect in shutdown after a 200 mph run, should you take the wrong line and have to adjust it late:

While your plan may be to keep the bike completely upright and perpendicular to the road surface, I am afraid that you will have to lean it to some degree at some point. And it may not be when you plan.

Shane

that lean angle in that picture is around 30 degrees and going into a corner. If you had to turn that hard at 200 you would be off track in a hurry. The camera is facing rearward and here is a pic further into the corner

the amount of leaning to make a correction would not get the tire on the side like this. I have made a dozen passes at maxton with this setup without any issue, I havent felt uncomfortable going thru the turn onto the runway even with nitrous. The video was to show that the bike was capable of making turns, not just a straight line setup.

Roy