Author Topic: When is a motorcycle engine, not a motorcycle engine  (Read 50311 times)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: When is a motorcycle engine, not a motorcycle engine
« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2009, 10:43:31 PM »
how many V8's does Tom have in the 411?
kent

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2009, 02:33:21 PM »
i believe there are 2 engines in the 411.
franey
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 02:35:19 PM by saltwheels262 »
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2009, 04:40:16 PM »
He*l and they think roadster racers are nuts and , well you know  :roll:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2009, 02:06:43 AM »
Roadster racers are the only sane ones of the bunch...Only the Board screwed up by allowing M/C engines in vintage classes. :? :? :? :evil:
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline desotoman

« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2009, 04:02:18 PM »
Roadster racers are the only sane ones of the bunch...Only the Board screwed up by allowing M/C engines in vintage classes. :? :? :? :evil:

I say what is good for the Goose is good for the Gander. Since Motorcycle engines are allowed to run in Cars, Car motors should be allowed to run in all Motorcycle classes.  :evil: :evil: :evil: Until that is allowed we should have keep them separate.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2009, 04:39:34 PM »
now come on.... dont start that again.....
kent

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2009, 09:36:24 PM »
now come on.... dont start that again.....
kent

Now come on Kent... I think they have a valid point.... I think they should be able to run car motors in any of the altered classes... and vintage.... and pushrod..... Which car motor fits 125cc A/VPG
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline willieworld

« Reply #97 on: October 01, 2009, 11:39:54 AM »
there is no auch class  it would be a-vg  -----  special construction-vintage gas----willie buchta

http://www.scta-bni.org        click on el mirage and then bike speed minimums and you can see all of the bike classes ---at bonneville you will also have the modefied classes        willie buchta
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 11:51:09 AM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline joea

« Reply #98 on: October 01, 2009, 12:15:19 PM »
......thanks for the clarification Willie......i think he was wondering which car engine would fit
one of the known conventional classes in rule book.....

...125.cc...........sidecar......streamliner........vintage........supercharged.......on.......fuel..........

or

....125...cc........sidecar........streamliner.......pushrod.........supercharged......on......fuel........

Offline willieworld

« Reply #99 on: October 01, 2009, 12:49:16 PM »
i got it--i think the car folks are going to regret letting the motorcycle engines into the car classes more than the motorcycle folks are in letting the car engines in the motorcycle classes----the motorcycle engines overlap the car classes at the smaller engine sizes and the car engines overlap the motorcycle classes only at the bigger engine classes-----my class is 1000 cc sc-pg im not worried about any car engines --even the 1350  1650  2000 cc classes---- a car engine might fit in the 3000 cc class and for sure the over 3000 cc class---i think though that the motorcycle engine inch for inch will make more hp than a car engine and hold together for 5 miles 2 times---and remember the engine still has to be comprised of major parts designed for use in motorcycle engines (which the busa v8 isnt but thats for another thread) there is 2 classes for car engines in the motorcycle classes ug and uf and a blower doesnt move you up a class  go for it ---just some thoughts  willie buchta

thats  125 cc scs-vbf     and 125cc  scs-pbf             (there is no pushrod class in vintage class)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 12:54:53 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

McRat

« Reply #100 on: October 01, 2009, 12:56:48 PM »
I don't know why anyone would worry about car engines in bikes.  "Boss Hawgs" ain't going to take over the world.
Perhaps the Ecotec? GM engine would be a threat, since it looks just like a DOHC bike engine and has factory parts that can take it past 1000HP, but seriously, that is only a concern to a very limited number of classes.

Bike engines in cars though is another matter.  This potentially eliminates those who want to push the limits with the small displacement car engines, and isn't likely to improve bike engine technology.  I don't see an "upside" to it.  Yes, we all know that more RPM is more better, and when you remove the limitations of what is required to propel a 2500lb car for 100,000 miles on the street and meet SLEV/CAFE/EPA standards, you can do a lot more with an engine at the OEM design stage.  There never will be a production car engine that is going to compete simply because there will never be a need for a 13,000 rpm engine for a 600lb car with smog exempt status.  Only from-the-ground-up race engines could.  Or motorcycle engines.  You might have noticed that Suzuki does not put the Busa engine in their cars.  Seems logical that they would.  But nobody wants a 15mpg economy car.  Suzuki DOES make car engines in the displacement range of the Busa, and they work very well in cars.  

Offline joea

« Reply #101 on: October 01, 2009, 01:12:03 PM »
........willie exactly.....hence my post........pretty much verbatim from rule book..body title...

""...125.cc...........sidecar......streamliner........vintage........supercharged.......on.......fuel..........

or

....125...cc........sidecar........streamliner.......pushrod.........supercharged......on......fuel........"""

wouldnt want to mix pushrod and vintage......to keep it fair and all.......

....what about my vintage rotary......?......

mcrat.......this thread took off.....almost nearly NOBODY cares
about trying to run car engines in bikes......specially, obviously in small displacement classes....

...but hey........someone might.....we could make some classes perhaps for it.....
(ie........the current ability to "race" 50cc-sidecar-streamliner-pushrod-supercharged-fuel)

some of us are just deriving some entertainment from it.......

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2009, 01:12:53 PM »
At ~$4000 for a factory replacement crate motor, the Ecotec is not exactly online to take over the small engine world.    :mrgreen:

http://www.jegs.com/i/GM%20Performance/809/19156263/10002/-1?CT=999

How much does 1000 hp cost?

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

McRat

« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2009, 01:25:10 PM »
Oddly enough, GM has published docs publically on how to take the Ecotec up to wild HP numbers.  Very detailed.  I heard they worked with guys like Lingenfelter (RIP) to develop them.  I've never played with Ecotecs other than helping with some digitizing, so I'm just going by second hand knowledge from racers. 

McRat

« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2009, 01:36:22 PM »
Willie, I'm not being too serious either, just shooting the bull.

I think the bike guys biggest fear should be the Snowmobile or Jetski engines. 

If you put 2 wheels on that Kawasaki Jetski with 260HP stock, I wonder how fast it would go?  It seats 3, so if you put a third wheel on it, could it run in Sidecar class?