Author Topic: When is a motorcycle engine, not a motorcycle engine  (Read 50342 times)

Offline willieworld

Re: When is a motorcycle engine, not a motorcycle engine
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2009, 01:38:34 PM »
no our budget wont allow it this year --we wont make the world finals  ---we still have 3 races at el mirage this year and that will take our extra moneys    good luck to all and be safe   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline joea

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2009, 01:59:09 PM »
.......guttley......willie is a great resource.......but
i have to ask........

have you tried to contact an scta representative to
garner answers and clarification to any questions you might
have ....???...........

.......maybe they have simplified it too much......

...i had a question....i obtained one of the many contact
numbers for motorcycle tech officials.......(so deviously hidden
on the internet and rule book give to anyone who asks/enters and or
pays for one).........

then i called Mr. Van Butler...........he answered the phone......i asked
rules clarification questions...........he answered them........enthusiastically.....

i would also join in on the assistance police force...to get your questions answered
but you might...do....have the best working knowledge of the specifics pertaining
to your querie.......

i sure as heck REALLY WANT TO SEE the Uttley mobile on the salt....!!!!!!

....ive learned that situations are only as complicated as we allow them to be.......

Joe

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2009, 02:15:06 PM »
no our budget wont allow it this year --we wont make the world finals  ---we still have 3 races at el mirage this year and that will take our extra moneys    good luck to all and be safe   willie buchta

Where did you get "Extra Money" from...?

J

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2009, 04:36:17 PM »
Hi Joe,
Thanks for your support! I am coming to BUB to talk to "people". I hope to see you and your brother again! John, I gather you are not going to BUB? Am I right? I hope not. Anyway, I fly on Friday, 7am, via Amsterdam and Minneanapolis to SLC. Looking forward to it! Sorry you won't be there Willie. We will just have to meet at Speed week next year! Regards, Gabriel.
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!

Offline willieworld

« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »
looking forward to it ---i might jump on the street bike and take a ride to bub   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2009, 05:14:59 PM »
Right up front I'm a newby...never riden at Bonneville or El Mirage.  Been racing longer than I care to admit so I've played around with rule books for many years. So the following comments are just my thoughts........Hope I don't offend anyone, that's not my intent.

Two thing standout at the beginning of this thread.

You're saying the engine is a Hartley V8. So since Hartley never made a motorcycle... is the Hartley V8 a motorcycle engine? (Not with any sanctioning body I know of.). Then you said "the Hartley V8 is made from two Hayabusa engines joined with a common crank and crankcase." So the crank is not a Suzuki part and neither are the cases, right?  So I guess you're going to use the Suzuki rods, pistons, heads and possibly the tranny. In essence you're going to use an aftermarket set of cases that aren't knockoffs of any manufactures engine and an aftermarket crank that is unlike any crank put in motorcycle sold to the public?

I don't know of a sanctioning body in the world that would let this engine run in motorcycle class.

Take a look at the rules related the vintage car class. A couple of builders have built their own modified castings of olders engine blocks with different cylinder spacing and deck heights and have (or are) trying to get them certified to run in the vintage class. They are only modified casting of original manufactured blocks and they probably will not be able to run in the vintage class. What the chance they'll let you run in a motorcycle class with a set of cases and a crank that aren't even designed for a bike?

Now all that being said....There doesn't seem to be an engine rule in the SCTA Special Construction Motorcycle class, looks like it a loop hole....

Good luck,

Buzz

"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline joea

« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2009, 05:23:34 PM »
....Gabriel.....since Charlie wont be there anyway to talk to...

...why dont you and I meet in Amsterdam......and discuss stuff,
i can tell you how the salt is and so and so....amster. is a better
venue for philosphical enlightenment...(that we all need anyway
to unlock/facilitate understanding).....

I REALLY had hoped to be at BUB this year.....I had vacation
time approved at work and such.....

BUT SCTA rules changed allowing for some new area's of potential
innovation.......so i made changes to bike..........

BUT BUB rules now dont encompass the new changes, and i dont
want to hack apart bike to possibly run slower....so I gave away my
vaca time at work for bub dates, and finangled (new word) vaca time
for WOS, and im hoping all the planets line up for that one with respect
to running..........

maybe Willie can bring some philosophy with him from socal....powow with
you on salt, then he (and you..?)  could trek to the Black Hills of South Dakota
for more relaxation, stay at our place...?....(crazy horse monum., mount rushmore, badlands
etc...maybe a "sweat" with some Lakota)....

if willie "tops off" himself like he does the fuel vessel on his bike it should be grand.....

Joe

Offline willieworld

« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2009, 06:29:20 PM »
buzz  i think you got it--the hartley engine doesnt have a transmission it has a car type bellhousing-----motorcycle gas and fuel class "unlimited in design but shall be composed of major parts and componets designed primarily for use in motorcycle engines"  in the pushrod gas and fuel class "any motorcycle engine with pushrod operated valves"   still waiting for the letter from the scta   willie buchta  from central calif.  modesto
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 06:32:42 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline John Noonan

Re: Free Beer...
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2009, 04:53:38 PM »
OK,

Since nothing was posted I spoke with Van Butler regarding the legality of the V-8 Busa being used in motorcycle streamliners for SCTA racing events, I was told the following:

"Since most of the engine parts are comprised from the Hayabusa engine (heads, valves, cylinders, pistons etc) the engine is legal for the following frame classes A (Altered)  APS (Altered Partial Streamlined)  SC (Side Car)  SCS (Side Car Streamliner) and S (Streamliner)"

End of debate and I hope this adds some clarity to the question of it being legal.  :cheers:

John

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2009, 04:59:12 PM »
Part of the hiatus in coverage of the Bub's event over the last few minutes -- was us talking with Gabriel Uttley about this very item.  I'll let him know that Van has offered some feedback -- I expect he'll be glad to hear it.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline willieworld

« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2009, 05:09:24 PM »
i have a letter from van stating what john said ---i would suggest if you wanted to run this motor or anything like it you get a copy of this letter --if you need one i will forward it to you including the letter i wrote for a rule clarification --i would also suggest you take a copy to tech with you   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2009, 05:13:37 PM »
i have a letter from van stating what john said ---i would suggest if you wanted to run this motor or anything like it you get a copy of this letter --if you need one i will forward it to you including the letter i wrote for a rule clarification --i would also suggest you take a copy to tech with you   willie buchta

Willie,

If you had the farking letter you should have posted it, I could have saved the 20 cents and equal amount of minutes on the phone..

J

Offline willieworld

« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2009, 06:26:49 PM »
sorry john  i will be glad to give the 20 cents ---i just thought i would wait until all of the bub posting was over so that everyone might have a chance to see it --the question to scta ---their response ---my response---there response---when the bub posting is over i will post it if someone wants to view or copy it for future reference   ----you always seem to have problems with the phone  ---willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline sockjohn

Re: Free Beer...
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2009, 06:36:17 PM »
"Since most of the engine parts are comprised from the Hayabusa engine (heads, valves, cylinders, pistons etc)

Not trying to stir the pot, but I hope what goes in the rule book is clearer than this.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2009, 06:38:06 PM »
sorry john...----you always seem to have problems with the phone...

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!