Author Topic: When is a motorcycle engine, not a motorcycle engine  (Read 50339 times)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: When is a motorcycle engine, not a motorcycle engine
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2009, 03:56:41 PM »
yep! exactly....
Kent

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2009, 08:53:27 AM »
Jon,
WE are not "claiming" anything better than anyone else, just our own design and power levels. You should know me by now! I don't think anyone can beat Sam's aero, and Ack's power is unbelievable....we are using a new controller, and hope to use much less nitrous than stated, though it would be a pig to come over all the way from the UK, and not have enough power......who knows what is really achievable on the salt with two wheels? Al struggled with Betsy for long enough....
We have done a lot of calculations to assist our design work, and I mean a lot! We will come over in 2010 as prepared as possible. Thank you everybody for your support! I still think our engine is a motorcycle-derived engine.
Kent, is there a direct email for Tom please? Regards, Gabriel.
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!

Offline willieworld

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2009, 04:49:47 PM »
gabriel    where do you plan running at an scta event or bub    thanks  willie buchta

i have submitted a rule question and will post when i get an answer---------------------
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline guttley782

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2009, 09:03:47 AM »
We plan to run at Speed Week 2010, for time only, and then attempt the record at BUB 2010.
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!

Offline willieworld

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2009, 12:34:38 AM »
i give up---on july 27 i filled out the scta rule clarification page --that day i got a conformation that they received my question ---haven't heard from anyone sense---its been almost a month---good thing it wasnt information i needed for bonneville--maybe they will get back to me before sept el mirage---will let you all know if and when       willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline desotoman

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2009, 12:38:14 AM »
Willie,

Am am sure having Bonneville in that time frame did not help.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2009, 01:14:53 AM »
you have a point  --- but so do i                              willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline guttley782

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2009, 04:15:30 AM »
Thanks for your help Willie. It would be great for the SCTA to confirm it is ok for our engine, as like Kent says, we have only taken two Busa engines and modified them. We have the option of a 3200cc motor, but it would mean a totally new class being formed by the FIM...are they capable? They have not replied to me in the last six months.... I am coming over to BUB to speak to Charlie, so we will see what he thinks, if he will respond. Regards, Gabriel.

Offline bak189

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2009, 11:55:24 AM »
Guttley, keep in mind if you are running for "time only" at BNI Speedweek 2010......you do not need clarification as to if it is a motorcycle engine powering your liner..........as to running for FIM record
....this is something you will need to check into with the FIM...................................................
As to checking with "FIM Charlie" at this years BUB.......it is my understanding he will not be there....but will be at the Cook Shootout event............................................................................................
Question authority.....always

Offline bak189

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2009, 12:18:23 PM »
To clarify my last post..........when I ran our snowmobile powered bike at Speedweek, Tom told me
"time only, not a motorcycle engine"............as long as it meets the safety rules they have let you run....
Question authority.....always

Offline willieworld

« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2009, 01:03:10 PM »
bob  in an earlier post i said there were a couple of exceptions  ---time only is one of those--a vehicle that doesnt fit in a class will be allowed to run after passing tech inspection----willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline guttley782

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2009, 02:49:14 PM »
even if Charlie is not at BUB, surely they will have a representative there for the records? We need to run at speed week to tune the engine for the altitude, in preparation for the BUB meet, so time only, or whatever, it does not matter.
As Kent says, quite rightly, there is nothing in the FIM rules which states motorcycle engine, but again ours is only modified Busa engines...Are you part of the motorcycle tech guys now at Speed Week, Willie?

Offline fastman614

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2009, 10:58:26 PM »
I have Tom Evans' email address and telephone number.... private email me.... but I will add this...... Kenny Lyon ran a V4 Harley and IT WAS regarded as a motorcycle engine.... so why NOT a V8 'Busa.... I do not see any difference in principle to a V4 Harley....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2009, 12:29:24 AM »
the v4 bike was  mike maggios  unlimited a-pg  ----------the rule for ENGINE are "any single or duel combination of motorcycle engine is permitted "   and no im not part of tech but i can read a rule book---interpreting it now thats another story       

willie buchta
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 12:31:02 AM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline guttley782

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2009, 01:20:27 PM »
will you be at BUB Willie?