Author Topic: When is a motorcycle engine, not a motorcycle engine  (Read 50318 times)

Offline MotoMax

• New folks
When is a motorcycle engine, not a motorcycle engine
« on: July 19, 2009, 12:04:41 PM »
A strange question I know, but it's one which I need to ask because it concerns the use of an engine I want to use for a motorcycle streamliner.
The engine in question is the Hartley V8 made from two Hayabusa engines jioned with a common crank and crankcase.
Does the fact that it uses Hayabusa parts, be good enough to satisfy the rule or would it be the fact that it is not made for any car or motorcycle, but could be used as a purpose biult motorcycle engine be good enough?
Or is it a none starter, i.e. am I going to cause a deal of controversy even considering it?

Please help,

cheers

Steve
Steve

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Re: When is a motorcycle engine, not a motorcycle engine
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 12:12:53 PM »
There have been entries that have used 2 coupled Hayabusa engines, so I think this is no different. I am not familiar with making the Busa into a V8, but love the fact that someone wants to do it. However it would not hurt to write to the SCTA M/C chief inspector inspector and ask.

Good luck.
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »
I think the engine must have originated in a motorcycle.  You could not buy a V-8 Hayabusa motor, ,so it would not be a "motorcycle" engine.

The question was pretty thoroughly discussed a while back, and the example of the V4 in the Bub 'liner was brought out as a potential "non-motorcycle" engine -- since it was never available stock in a bike.  But wait a minute -- the first time the engine was ever installed in a vehicle - it was put into the #7 bike.  So therefore it IS a motorcycle engine.

The Ack bike runs a pair of 'Busa engines -- but they're separate, not twinned.  And a few cars run 'Busa (and other brands, too) motors -- but those are cars.

For the absolute word please check with Tom Evans or Van Butler.  But I think I'm right here. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline willieworld

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 12:33:53 PM »
  http://www.h1v8.com/page/page/1562068.htm               its a car motor    if that isnt enough look at the price page and the horsepower page     71 dollars per h p isnt a good deal                     willie buchta
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 12:40:39 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 05:15:13 PM »
Seemslike there was a V-8 bulit in England for hillclimb cars using Yamaha 1000cc stuff some years back also -a CAR motor, too.

The Manning engine is a kinda chicken/egg - egg/chicken deal. Just re-read the SAE paper on that project and it was certainly purpose - built. The result of  Manning meeting the gentleman at an SAE event and the topic of a LSR engine thus lead to the project.

In drag racing , from a statement by Terry Vance, the "Harley V-Rod" drag race engine was designed in - house by Byron Hines. I mean in Colorado,  not Milwaulkee or Zuffanhausen.

IMHOP same deal.

5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 05:18:24 PM »
hummmmm..... streamliner ya say.?.!..... maybe you guys can point me to the page in the '09 black book that says ya gotta run a motorcycle motor?
love ya....
Kent

Offline willieworld

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 05:35:11 PM »
page 112--  7.H.18       page 125--- 7.J.5    7.J.6   7.J.9   7.J.10    the only exception i see is U F and U G  and omega  ----   UG and UF  are streamliner only and omega is A-PS and Streamliner only   thats the way i read it                          willie buchta 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 05:41:21 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline RichFox

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 06:06:42 PM »
I think that was the point. Who all remembers the KB2? Ran as a motorcycle for some time. Only KB Hemi powered bike I ever saw.

Offline Eric_M

• Bub 50cc Project
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 07:18:44 PM »
Actually the BUB V-4 has been in two motorcycles. The first streamliner to have the engine was Tenacious II and in 2001 Rocky set a one way speed of 297 mph at Lake Gairdner Australia. The Seven Streamliner would be the second, having been designed to only carry the BUB V-4.
We currently have multiple engines in development, including a V-Twin version of the V-4.
I would imagine that you will be seeing this family of engines racing for some time at the salt- Eric

http://seven-streamliner.com/history/index.html
http://seven-streamliner.com/engine/index.html

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 09:27:29 PM »
The Hartley is a non production based engine that uses Busa heads.  I haven't spent too much time on the bike rules, but if the class rules require a stock block, you'd be out of luck.

I saw the factory mule Lotus 7 with the Hartley in it at a car show a little over a year ago - they're based here in Wisconsin.  Yeah, it's expensive, but man, it is a jewel, and it sounds like a F1 Cosworth Ford.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 10:42:56 PM »
hummmmm..... streamliner ya say.?.!..... maybe you guys can point me to the page in the '09 black book that says ya gotta run a motorcycle motor?
love ya....
Kent

well?..... somebody help the guy out!....personally i was thinking the same thing in that I thought that engine choice was unlimited in that class? ?.

Yeah you're right , I'm a car guy, on the other side of the world ....and I wouldn't know peanut butter from shinola anyway.............:wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 04:20:02 AM »
Yeah you're right , I'm a car guy, on the other side of the world ....and I wouldn't know peanut butter from shinola anyway.............:wink:

Indeed! :-D
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline MotoMax

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 08:25:04 AM »
Thanks for your advice and help so far, has anyone got Tom Evans or Van Butler's contact details?

I wanted to do something different and a twin turbocharged V8 busa appealed to me.

I thought this form of racing was rule less apart from the safety aspects of course.
Where else can ingenuity and lateral thinking be encouraged........surely we don’t want all future streamliners to be exactly the same? :oops:
Steve

Offline sabat

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 09:23:48 AM »
http://www.scta-bni.org/Rulebook/rule-question09.html

The 4 current MC streamliner contenders use vastly different engines.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 11:19:15 AM »
Max posted several months back about an English motorcycle effort using one of the British Hayabusa V8 engines from Powertec. I think that they are planning to be at the BUB. Go to General Discussion and look for "Yank Spanking" and you can see the engine specs and also a great pic of the "motorcycle" Pretty neat.
Rex

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.