Author Topic: Clarification on wheel studs  (Read 1947 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Clarification on wheel studs
« on: July 18, 2009, 03:01:00 AM »
Please turn to 2.G in our hymnals.

If I'm reading this correctly, the requirement of 5 studs with a minimum diameter of 1/2 inch is applicable to cars running 29+ diameter tires and/or wheels larger than 17 inches.

I hope that is the case, and here's why.

The rear hubs on the Midget are set up with 3/8 studs, and there's not a lot of meat around the bores in the hub to be boring them out for larger studs.  I'd prefer to not weaken the hub in order to strengthen the studs.

I do have the option of replacing the 4-bolt hubs with splined hubs and using wire wheels, but I'd prefer steel.

Thoughts or comments?

Thanks.

Chris
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 03:07:59 AM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Clarification on wheel studs
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 07:16:49 AM »
Chris:

Across the pond cars that came with wire wheels over here were available with knock off disk wheels as well. You might want to see if there's a source, probably on the internet for those wheels. When I was racing my BN-1 Healey I gathered up centers from wire wheels that had tangled with curbs and welded them into wider rims. It might be another way of doing it although there don't seem to be as many wild eyed youth driving wire wheeled British sports cars into curbs these days. I think I may be dating myself. :-( :-D