Author Topic: Border Crossing and Towing in Canada  (Read 2686 times)

Offline dickj

Border Crossing and Towing in Canada
« on: July 17, 2009, 10:18:29 AM »
Google Maps shows me a nice alternate route home, crossing into Canada right there in Caribou and driving across Canada north of Niagra Falls.  This would allow us to do some sight-seeing and visit family in Ontario and Michigan.  We've got passports and have driven into Canada many times, but never with a trailer and a race car in tow. 

Are there complications that I should be aware of, or will the normal registration and insurance on the truck, and proof of ownership on the racecar and trailer be all I need?

Oh yeah, and I'll leave my gun at home! 

DickJ
In East Texas

Offline hotschue

Re: Border Crossing and Towing in Canada
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 10:40:50 AM »
Hello Dickj,  I've raced in Canada several years.  Do a complete written inventory of racecar, trailer, spares and anything else you can think of, more listed the better, stop at US customs and have them stamp list as you leave the country.  This generally takes a few minutes and well worth the time.  Upon re-entry, you present the inventory with US customs stamp, it expedites the process of re-entry.
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline half-fast

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 07:01:38 PM »
Think that is has been said elsewhere, but make sure there is nothing noteworthy on your driver's license, especially alcohol related convictions, one of those and you will probably have to write a letter to queen begging for mercy and permission to travel/drive in the north.

Google Maps shows me a nice alternate route home, crossing into Canada right there in Caribou and driving across Canada north of Niagra Falls.  This would allow us to do some sight-seeing and visit family in Ontario and Michigan.  We've got passports and have driven into Canada many times, but never with a trailer and a race car in tow. 

Are there complications that I should be aware of, or will the normal registration and insurance on the truck, and proof of ownership on the racecar and trailer be all I need?

Oh yeah, and I'll leave my gun at home! 

DickJ
In East Texas

Offline dickj

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 07:42:15 PM »
That part should be OK.  Been a cop all my life and have been into Canada quite a few times - - just never with a racecar and trailer. 
DickJ
In east Texas