Author Topic: Space Shuttle landing facility...  (Read 6414 times)

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Re: Space Shuttle landing facility...
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 01:48:04 PM »
SSS,  sounds cool,,,, one small issue on a public road, even if all would work and they closed the road.. we would have to have parking/pit areas...

Also on big safety concern, I would scope out the close proximity of any trees, telephone or power poles on either side of the road / racing and shut down surfaces...Hitting a cone or some tall grass, weeds or crops may be bad,,, but a tree, power or telephone pole could render a bad day for all.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 01:51:52 PM »
Yes, Charles -- all of those obstacles are available on CR 550.  I'ts been a handful of years since I've driven up there and I don't remember just how close is the forest.  There aren't any houses along the stretch.  There are probably large flat areas where pits could be located.  It's only been ten or fifteen years since electricity was run up the road to Big Bay, so the power lines are not too close to the road (old fashioned lines were on smaller poles and right on the right-of-way).

I'll zoom up there with a camera, just for the heck of it, and let us all see what it looks like.  I aagree that it's probably not an ideal place for LSR -- but maybe it's worth a look, and for sure is worth a ride to see.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline mike ryan

• New folks
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 03:14:06 PM »
You're wasting your time trying to call anybody at The Cape. You need to try somebody in Washington who can actual make a decision. Bill Nelson is about the highest ranking Washington politician who's area includes KSC and he's been up on the Shuttle. You should be able to find him on line. He has an office here in Jacksonville.

3 miles of concrete with nobody around except the alligators and the snakes would be perfect.

I've been to KSC enough to know that unless you find a way to put a spin on this that will result in more tax dollars for the space program, that you would be swimming upstream on this one.

The biggest reason they will probably never allow this is because of all the other rocket launches that most people don't even know about. Whenever they launch anything, no one is allowed near for obvious safety reasons.

http://www.nasa.gov/missions/highlights/schedule.html

Offline mike ryan

• New folks
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 03:37:02 PM »
I would like to add that if you do manage to pull this off, you have a new problem that you don't have anywhere else. KSC sits right in the middle of the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge. I would estimate it is 90% swamp and they have a LOT of alligators and snakes. If someone runs off the side of the runway and into the swamp, who is going to wade out to get them?

Years ago on Alligator Alley (I-75 across the Everglades between Miami and Ft Myers), I saw a tractor trailer who's driver had fallen asleep at the wheel and run off the side into the swamp. He was in water almost to the bottom of the driver's window. He wasn't getting out and the fire department wasn't going in to get him either. They were waiting for a boat to run a chain from the wrecker to the trailer so they could drag him out backwards.

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 06:05:23 PM »
Keep an eye on Cecil field.  I believe there was 14,000 feet of beautiful runway there when the Navy said bye bye.  At some point the Navy and Virginia Beach are going to part ways.  That would open 17,000 feet of runway at Oceana.
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 07:00:41 PM »
My understanding is that the Navy recommitted to Oceana after the planned move of the F-18 squadrons to Cecil was defeated.  It was one or the other or spend billions to build a new airbase for them.  The Navy needed Virginia Beach to limit encroachment around the base and I think that has happened, probably due to the economy as much as anything else.

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 07:51:55 PM »
I just wanted everyone to know we tried real hard and they told us NO... politely.. but No all the same...

K
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline car9458

• New folks
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 10:52:50 PM »
  The former Wurthsmuth AFB runway at Oscoda, Mi. is currently being used for SCCA events.  It is also being used by race teams for high speed testing on a fairly regular basis. SCCA is holding an Auto cross event there this weekend. The  brother of a friend has a shop just off the runway. He said the cost is 1,000.00 per day which includes the fire rescue truck and crew. I had no reason to contact them but do have a contact number.  Michigan Mile?? July weather is usually in the high 70,s.

Offline fahrenschnell

• New folks
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2009, 11:41:44 PM »
Now we are talking....The Michigan Mile.

2.25 miles of runway.....That is not 800 miles away. :-D

Seth