Author Topic: June 2009 - Maxton - Studebaker Video  (Read 3623 times)

Offline wheels777

#9270 - 1954 Studebaker

Offline aircap

Re: June 2009 - Maxton - Studebaker Video
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 09:13:48 PM »
Got any details on the car?
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 11:58:11 PM »
That is Andrew Nelson's  53/54 Studebaker... He is running a C motor.. He says its a mostly stock motor ??

However is sure Sounds and pulls way better than your average "mostly stock" 355 cu in SBC ? In my Novice opinion,
(My SBC's are stock too... LOL   Not !!!)

He is a good guy and he is having fun.  Hope he does well at Loring, The areo changes he made to the front should really help him at the 1.5 mile track.

Charles
Good camera work and sound,,, Just hate the "crops" obstructed our and the spectators views last month.

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline wheels777

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 01:37:33 AM »
That is Andrew Nelson's  53/54 Studebaker... He is running a C motor.. He says its a mostly stock motor ??

However is sure Sounds and pulls way better than your average "mostly stock" 355 cu in SBC ? In my Novice opinion,
(My SBC's are stock too... LOL   Not !!!)

He is a good guy and he is having fun.  Hope he does well at Loring, The areo changes he made to the front should really help him at the 1.5 mile track.

Charles
Good camera work and sound,,, Just hate the "crops" obstructed our and the spectators views last month.

Not sure where you got your information Charles.  When you asked me about the engine, I popped the hood and showed you the engine.  The Brodix heads, Edelbrock intake and electric water pump don't look stock nor would have been referred to as stock.  Although, that may be stock in your area.   :roll:

Anyhow.....

Hey Aircap,

It is a low buck package.  Use dirt track rotating asembly - 5.7 rod flat top 355.  Bucket truck block.  Factory steel crank.  The cam was/is an unidentified used roller that I picked up at a flee market.  Bought 3 cams for $10 and stuck the biggest one in.  Lifters were used $15.  Dual plane intake with 750 Holley.  I did have to buy new push rods and 8 rockers.  The other 8 were $10.  Heck, even the timing chain was used.  The heads were $300 and the used valves, retainers and locks are still in it.  The valve springs were replaced.   Waterpump was $40, balancer was $20.  Hole in the oil pan had to be welded in order to use.  Fanciest part is the home built headers that are equal length rotationally timed with hand formed collector and ceramic coated. 3" flowmasters were $10 for the pair.

It is a 1954 Stude that I bought locally.  It was located by a friend who happened to have a Rod and Custom magazine open at work during break time, when a guy walked up and pointed to a picture of a Stude in the mag and said he owned one.  Three days later we struck a deal for $500.  It was rescued from a salvage yard years earlier and bartered off.  It was raced in the 50's and 60's, but the history is not known.  You can see some lettering under the primer, but we can't make out what it says.  My whole family worked on it.  Home built everything. We do our work in a 100 year old bank barn that is not heated, in the area where the stables used to be.  It has a Lakewood Bell (free from a friend), M20 I bought for $200.  A 9" rear that cost $150.  3.25:1 gear centersection that a buddy gave me (free) that he removed from his F150.  I reworked the front end to incorporate Crown Vic spindles and upper a-arms (free).  Cavalier rack.  S10 coilover front spring/shocks (most expensive part on the car - $500+). Front wheels were $15 from the flee market.  New driveshaft.  New clutch.  New MSD 6AL.  $15 distributor,cap,wires.  I spent some money on the petal assembly - new Wilwood set-up ($300+).  I have about $1900 in the engine and under $5700 in the whole car, which is a stretch for us.  But, we had some help from a few friends and we were able to come down for the race in April and June.  Two of the best times I have had racing ever.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 06:19:51 AM by wheels777 »
#9270 - 1954 Studebaker

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 08:29:43 AM »
And that folks is HOT RODDING!!! Great job Andrew!!!

joe :cheers:
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline aircap

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 09:30:54 PM »
Now that is a concise & complete report.
Thanks very much, and good luck in the future!
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 09:49:25 PM »
Andrew,  Like I said "mostly stock motor"  "in my novice opinion"   I hope you did not think it was sarcasm, or feel it was trying to take anything away from your build... It was meant as a compliment,, (wow going that fast on a "mostly stock motor".)...I enjoyed spending time with you and looking over and watching you run the car...You did a great job, did it yourself on a budget and had FUN and SET RECORDS.. way to go !!!

I can only hope my 53 Stude passes tech and runs and handles as well as yours does,,,

Good luck at Loring !!!    What do you think you can run up there ?  175 -185 ?

Charles
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 10:30:35 PM by Cajun Kid »
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline t russell

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 09:35:05 PM »
Andrew's car is one very well built piece.The outer body is cool in the way it hides it.
All I can say 1 cool family 1 damn cool car.
terry