Author Topic: 1st Time on the Dragstrip  (Read 4630 times)

Offline MiltonP

1st Time on the Dragstrip
« on: July 05, 2009, 10:04:33 PM »
I figured a little seat time couldn't hurt so I headed 45 miles up the road to Mason-Dixon Dragway and took the bike out for 5 runs.  Last time I ran side-by-side was eons ago in high school on the street so this was a new experience for me.  The other  bikes present weren't ready so i made a first run all by myself to feel it out and managed to slow down before I noticed where the the trap was.  2nd run I had a '73 Kaw 900 next to me that pulled a wheelie of about 70 degrees before leaving me in the dust.   :lol:

That encouraged me to try just a little harder to make some decent runs and my next 3 runs I ran between 14.4 and 15.01 with top speeds around 98 mph.  My best reaction time was .008 and I didn't red light it on any of the 5 runs.  I really thought the 1/4 mile would go too quick to be much fun but I could see how it could become addictive.  Noting that, I packed it up after 5 runs before I got too carried away!

I pitted next to one of our ECTA members in the 3232 modified roadster running a Yamaha motor in H class.  I was so focused/hot last weekend in Maxton I never even saw them there!   It was very cool having another LSR racer there.  Made me feel more at home.
   :cheers:

Offline interested bystander

Re: 1st Time on the Dragstrip
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 12:04:52 AM »
Don't know, as I've said before, why more Landspeed racers don't test on the drag strip for a multitude of reasons..
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 05:55:46 AM »
I use the Drag strip to test my 250 ninja . I went to Cecil County Drag way last weekend . I could not go to Maxton . But I had to do something.

I made two time runs  trying to go 14.9 . My best 1/4 mile time was 15.2

I had a 15.144 pass and Dialed in at 15.10 same a 750 Hondamatic. I did not get a chance to go against him . I lined up with a 10.10 bike . Poor guy had to sit for 5 seconds and watch me ride off . He Red lighted . I won and advanced to round two .Then it rained . But it was a ton O fun . But the track is very short.

One other thing . And I don't mean to put them down .They have a very nice track and very nice people working hard to keep it safe . Both track I have raced at have Nothing for a teck inspection .

I I guess they look for a Kill switch and that is it . No one kicked a tire pulled on the bars . Made sure the steering head did not bind . Makes me appreciate the safety concerns at Maxton.
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline hotschue

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 07:23:16 AM »
Week before Maxton we tested at Capitol Raceway outside of Washington DC with our newly finished C/PRO.  Our ET was 18.25 @ 101 mph.  Went to Maxton in the heat and set the record at 179.4---.  Funniest question ask at the drags "when you going to put the big tires on the car".  We've done this with several different cars over the years, last year week before B'ville G/GC 19.-- sec @ 100 plus = B'ville record 164,  it least it made us feel good that nothing fell off the car.  Gave us a little confidence before we towed the car across the country.
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 12:50:36 PM »
I would love to drag race the Vicky, but all we have local here is 1/8 mile tracks... and I am not going to re-gear for that short distance...

Rockingham is a 1/4 mile but not sure if they run more than once a year now,, also the new Zmaz Dragway in Charlotte is a 1/4 mile but don't think they run but 2 events a year,,,, I will look for some test and tune's at those tracks.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline dr j

• Honda CRF250 & RS125 & 1954 Moto Parilla 175
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 05:25:16 PM »
MiltonP,
I live in Sharpsburg MD (Antietam Battlefield) and I have often thought of going to Mason-Dixon.  Once I get my DocZ solo-starter maybe we can rendesvous at the dragway.  I run the Honda 250 4 stroke roadracer in the altered class at Maxton.  Let me know if you want to do that maybe in August again.  Are you running the production 500 4 stroke?
Jarl
Jarl- Moto Madcap
Sharpsburg MD
BUB2012- Morini 350- 4 Mod Pushrod records, Parilla 175- M-VG rec
250cc 4stroke Nitrous Motorcycle- 131.8mph
250/4 Naked Motorcycle-115.6mph
APS/F-125/2 115.2mph
P/PV-175/4 Moto Parilla-59.7mph
29 Retired Maxton Class Records on 3 bikes and 4 engines

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 09:05:39 PM »
 How about a Maxton tune up day? I will need to test out another new set up some time before September.

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 09:45:06 PM »
Yep, safety inspection was a bit lax.  Mason Dixon is a nice track and a short drive off of I-81 and I-70 so I will probably make quite a few visits when the weather is cooperative.  I need to make up my mind about going back to stock versus my current -1 on the rear for Loring.  If I decide to change it I may be back at MD this Saturday for the test and tune session to practice some more.  My buddies are going to Musclecar Madness in York and then on to Beaver Springs for the drags so I will have to amuse myself locally again!  $30 for a test and tune isn't too bad.  I don't think I will run any races at this point.

The test and tunes Friday Aug 21 or Saturday Aug 29 are possibilities if I have any funds left after spectating out at speedweek.   :wink:.

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 10:29:39 PM »
Funny thing here how some minds think alike.
     We finally got the ole Gray Ghost out to "da Grove", Union Grove Drag Raceway just over the ILL. line in Wisconson this last Thursday for their bike night, and all Harley Shoot Out.  We have been dealing with some timing issues that have been holding us back in the top rpm range for that old Iron Head.  It only took a couple of runs for me to realize why LSR is more our cup of tea now a days rather then the 1320.

With RT's of like .380 and .450 ! ? - you know I am not there for the ET's
So we got seven runs in and nailed our timing issue to the history wall, the ole Gray Ghost was just singing right past that 7 K at days end.
Granny shifting and all, going through the traps wound tight in 3rd, or 4shifting just before the traps made little difference. Winding up in the mid 12's at 107.  Just not enough room with the gearing I had, - 21 main shaft 46 rear sprocket.
 Oh what big fun though - Checkin out the other bikes is always a charge for me, I love seeing what all these gear heads come up with.
And besides - the smell of burning rubber and that 110 & 120 fuels, just makes you feel good.

Have fun -   :cheers:
Jimbo
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline t russell

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 10:34:26 PM »
The rock runs/ran a weekly 1/8 show.
A few years a go I ran my truck on 1/8 mile 2.6 60 foot times and 9.00 78mph. 9.65 with the back 2 barrals cut off.
terry

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 10:39:56 PM »

Racer X said it very well here -

"I guess they look for a Kill switch and that is it . No one kicked a tire pulled on the bars . Made sure the steering head did not bind . Makes me appreciate the safety concerns at Maxton."

A fitting time to give kudos to Todd, Slim, Joe, Keith, and the entire crew at Maxton for being there when it comes to really teching a machine in, be it a bike or car type.

Looking forward to the next trip -
Jimbo   :cheers:
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 09:24:22 AM »
I think it depends on the meet you go to.  A few years back, maybe more than a few, we took the roadracing bikes to the support class of a Pro Star bike event.  They asked for a list of what was done to the bikes.  The bikes were looked over and stickered.  I was told the sticker was good for the season.  If there were changes made to the bikes we needed to tell them at the next meet.  They made it clear that it was my butt on the line and that the technical safety of the bike was my responsibility.  That was my only meet with them as the roadracing season kept me busy.  We do need to keep thanking all of the volunteers for the job they do.  You all make it possible for us to race.
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
Re: 1st Time on the Drag strip
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 07:46:35 PM »
One other thing I have to mention .

There are other people on the track at the same time as Me .Seems obvious But when you do time runs or test and tune . The other bike rides off. And my slow land speed racer rides down the track and everything is fine .

BUT when race time comes I dial in at 15 what ever and the real dragster dials in a 8.0 .I get a big head start . I was in the right lane and the end turn around is a right turn so I was OK when the other guy went by at 150 mph . IF I had bin in the left lane I may have drifted over to make the right turn . I FORGOT ABOUT THE OTHER RIDER ON THE TRACK.! :-o

I may not have drifted over but it could have happen . So I though I would mention it Since I am used to racing alone on the track . I get lost in my gear count and shift point.
Definitely wont happen again

Offline wrongway

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 12:01:09 AM »
I would love to drag race the Vicky, but all we have local here is 1/8 mile tracks... and I am not going to re-gear for that short distance...

Rockingham is a 1/4 mile but not sure if they run more than once a year now,, also the new Zmaz Dragway in Charlotte is a 1/4 mile but don't think they run but 2 events a year,,,, I will look for some test and tune's at those tracks.

Charles

rockingham and fayetteville run every weekend ...

Roy