Author Topic: Special Bolts  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Ron Gibson

Special Bolts
« on: July 04, 2009, 07:43:21 PM »
Can anyone tell me what is the name of the bolts that have a stud on the top of them and where to buy them. They are kind of like all thread with a nut in the middle. I can think of several different places they are used on engines but not a specific size or location. Maybe I'm whizzing against the wind and they're special application only.
I checked MSC, Aircraft Spruce and several nut and bolt sites, didn't find anything.
Appreciate any help.

Ron

Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Special Bolts
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 07:52:49 PM »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 08:15:16 PM »
Ron:

I don't know what you're doing with this application but your description of all thread with a nut in the middle is very apt. All thread is available in graded material, not just the lowest of the low. Grade 5 or better all thread might be the solution.

Pete

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 09:46:53 PM »
Pete
 That may work. Wasn't aware there were higher grades of all thread. I don't use grade 2 for anything except maybe lawnmower wheels. I could make some out of long thread bolts but thought if available easier to buy.

thanks, Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

McRat

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 10:16:18 PM »
All the ones I know of are special P/N's, often on exhaust or intake manifolds.  Usually a smaller dia up top, otherwise the whole bolt backs out.

What I do is take a set screw and nut.  This way you can hold the "bolt" when you want to just take off the top part.  Set screws are often strong alloy steel or stainless.

Offline John Burk

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 10:23:39 PM »
How about studs with straight or step-down coupling nuts . I think McMaster has coupling nuts in grade 8 .

Offline willieworld

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 11:21:57 PM »
what size do you need   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline pookie

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 03:57:23 AM »
Ron..... Are you looking for bolts that are used on main caps, they have a stud on top to attach windage trays. The bolt head is about a third of the way down, you get full bite on the main bolt then put your windage tray on then run another nut down the stud to keep the tray locked down.  ARP and Milodon have them... Screw in rocker arm studs are built along the same lines. Again contact Milodon they have them....         Mike R.