Author Topic: Motorcycle wheel clarification...  (Read 8777 times)

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
Motorcycle wheel clarification...
« on: July 02, 2009, 04:06:33 PM »
Trying to get started on my bike but after re-reading the rules I have another question.
Just wonder if anyone knew if the wheel (picture attached---I hope) would be legal in the "A" /Special Construction motorcycle class.

Specifically I'm referring to section 7.B.10 Wheels; It is REQUIRED that front wheels be cross ventilated by an area equal to at least 25% of the nominal rim circle area.

Thanks,
Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Motorcycle wheel clarification...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 04:32:07 PM »
I'll take an EWAG at the numbers and do the math.  Guessing that the wheel is 16" diameter it comes out with 804 square inches, right?  And 25% of that is about 201, hmmm?   And I'll assign the holes as about 1" diameter, making each of 'em about 3.14159 square inches. 

Pi times a dozen gives about 38 square inches.  38 = 201

Q.E.D.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 04:47:29 PM »
I don't think the techs will do the math, they will look at the wheel and say no. Basically a solid wheel at speed. Mine is just an opinion so send the picture to chief inspector Tom Evans for the real answer. Good Luck.  LSL

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 06:01:41 PM »
Send the photo to Tom Evans.  I seriously doubt he'll pass it.  I also seriously doubt you'll want to ride it in a cross wind.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 06:07:22 PM »
call tom   he has a computer   but i guarantee it wont pass not in A    i thought the area of a 16 in circle was about 201 sq in   o well what do i know          pi x radius squared   i think its a 17 in wheel  though with 1 1/2 in holes   234 sq in   with 21 sq in of holes is less than 10%   

willie buchta
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 06:31:01 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 06:45:56 PM »
Willie,

We're pretty close to the same numbers.  I came up with 24.73 for the holes but that's still way short.

Either I'll have to have additional hole machined or get a new wheel......ugh!!!!

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 06:51:56 PM »
how fast ya plannin to go?
kent

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 06:56:43 PM »
Willie, you're right about Pi times R squared.  I used diameter squared.  Boo-hoo.  My excuse is that Nancy's daughter and a gaggle of her girl friends are having a wedding shower downstairs so I'm banished to the upstairs bedroom along with the laptop.  Buzz, sorry for the math error -- but no matter how you do the arithmetic -- the wheel probably won't make it through inspection.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 07:05:13 PM »
I was wondering about that, Slim -- a 1" round hole is less than a 1" square hole that's 1 Sq. In.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 07:05:45 PM »
1212FBGS,

Just wanted to bring the bike out with a stock 900cc engine and get some seat time.  I doubt it would run much faster than 125 mph, if that.

Buzz

Offline willieworld

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 07:12:21 PM »
slim in may i took my wife her two friends one of her friends daughters and my grand daughter ( 5 ) to el mirage --i ran the wrong gear and the wrong jetting and ran 124 on a 132 record (MINE)  but i did eat like a king        willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 07:28:57 PM »
Jee-zul-man, Stan -- cut me some slack, hey?  Yes, I remember that a one inch round hole has less area than a one-inch square hole -- but I used the lazy way out and used the figure of "1 square inch" for the calculation, knowing it wouldn't be anywhere close to making the wheel legal.  Sorry, Buzz.  These guys just won't let me rest for a minute.

Willie, they're still downstairs giggling and playing dumb wedding shower games.  It's mostly a church group so they're not drinking, either!  And the food they're making for themselves is girly stuff -- marinated chicked kabobs and about five different cold salads and -- and -- NO BURGERS!  How can they call that stuff good?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless Two

• newest member of the 199.9 club :)
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 12:27:28 AM »
Are you really racing a fat boy?  that is what that wheel looks lke, anyways....
Look at my new RED HAT!!!!

#278 1000CC APS-G 208.959MPH record
209.093 mph best time

pit bitch to #1000 Bockscar

Proud to be a Texan!  in San Antonio

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 01:44:03 AM »
NO....No Fatboys for me, thanks!   :-P

The wheels are off of my dragbike and were made in the late 90's by CCR. My bike is a Kawasaki. Started life as a KZ900 and has morphed into 1260cc turbo dragbike.
I'm thinking of putting together a 998cc normally asperated engin and running in the 1000 cc A/G El Mirage class.

Buzz

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 01:46:45 AM »
Wheel is not legal period..

Rather than machine it there are many other inexpensive OEM wheels from many newer sport bikes..perhaps a Hayabusa.. :evil: