Author Topic: New I/G Streamliner Build  (Read 47173 times)

Offline Anvil*

Re: New I/G Streamliner Build
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2011, 06:54:45 PM »
Hi guys!  I'm still hanging around, just in the back ground.  As for the streamliner, unfortunately I had to sell it . My wife was diagnosed with cancer about a year ago and we put all our focus on getting her well. The medical bills got to be a little more than we could handle so I sold the car to take care of that. Good news is she is doing fine and cancer free now. I can allways build another car but can't replace her. *snip*
Jerry O

I see nothing unfortunate and it was the right decision. May she continue life cancer free Sadly my wife lost that battle in '09. It is a place you really don't want to go.

Now, unlike many, you've proved she comes first and can start using up all your free time on the next build. Right?   8-)

Offline Tman

« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2011, 08:27:38 PM »
Hi guys!  I'm still hanging around, just in the back ground.  As for the streamliner, unfortunately I had to sell it . My wife was diagnosed with cancer about a year ago and we put all our focus on getting her well. The medical bills got to be a little more than we could handle so I sold the car to take care of that. Good news is she is doing fine and cancer free now. I can allways build another car but can't replace her. *snip*
Jerry O

I see nothing unfortunate and it was the right decision. May she continue life cancer free Sadly my wife lost that battle in '09. It is a place you really don't want to go.

Now, unlike many, you've proved she comes first and can start using up all your free time on the next build. Right?   8-)

Well said!  And you get to redo all the things you didn't like from the first go around. With the car that is. Edit, I meant this towards Anvil for teh first part ans Jerry for the second. bad reply. Sorry to hear of your loss Anvil.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 10:50:59 PM by Tman »

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2011, 10:13:30 PM »
Anvil...... So sorry for the loss of your wife. I can't imagine what you have gone through. I know just the thought of loosing my wife was a experience I hope to never experience again. I hope you have friends and family that has helped you get through this loss.   As for the new car, I do spend all my free time getting ready to start the build.

Jerry O

Offline sabat

« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2011, 10:23:46 PM »
My condolences Anvil.

Jerry, will you use a ZX10 engine this time? I look forward to following your new project.

Dean

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2011, 12:06:02 AM »
Dean.......... My plans are about 180 degrees from my last build.  I am planning on building a longer car powered by a GE gas turbine engine. The engine I am using puts out around 1500 hp at the shaft. Very reliable engine and easy to maintain. I hope to do some wind tunnel testing with the scale body and come up with a really slick and stable body shape.  Good to hear from you again!

Jerry O

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2011, 01:05:27 AM »
Keep us posted Jerry once you get started, with lots of pictures. The last car appeared really well done and the new one sounds way more intriguing.

Pete

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2011, 07:10:32 PM »
*snip* I hope you have friends and family that has helped you get through this loss. As for the new car, I do spend all my free time getting ready to start the build.

Jerry O

Happens the friend who co-built my dirt-track stock car years back suggested racing therapy and more specifically Bonneville. So, I'm here for my... mmmm, health. Building and racing is a good thing.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2011, 07:55:14 PM »
Yeah JO too bad you had to sell the car. I know how you feel as my dad and I worked on an airplane for about 10 years and had to sell it before it ever flew even though it was about 98% done. While its cool to know that its still flying after all these years I cant help but to be pizzed we werent able to do the maiden.

The car is so specialized its only good for one thing, clearly the new owner realized your vision.
No chance the new owner of the car wouldnt finish the build diary?

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2011, 10:38:43 PM »
JH........ Too bad it had to go but thats the way life is sometimes. Im not sure how often the new owners vists landracing.com but hope they do post some info on their progress.  I hope to see it run this year.

Jerry O

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2011, 10:52:21 PM »
Jerry,
First it is great to hear that your wife is doing well, that is the absolute most important thing!! Being a survivor of the BIG "C" myself she has my thoughts and I sincerely hope she continues to do well.

Next, your thinking about a turbine streamliner: I saw the car that holds the 1/TS and the 2/TS records back in 99 (wonder what ever happen to that car?) and it was so simple and so straight forward and with 1500 hp your car could really be a charger!!! Looking forward to seeing your progress when you get started.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2011, 11:11:41 AM »
Rex......... Thanks for the kind words.   I decided to go with a turbine because of it's simplicity. No cooling systems or transmission to deal with. The engine I am using makes great HP and is only 14 inches in dia. This will allow me to build a very narrow car. The cost of the engine is comparable to a good mid range small block v-8. Bruce Linsmeryer is the current record holder in 1/TS and 2/TS. I talked to Bruce a while back to get his views on my build and found out his engine only puts out around 600 HP. My thinking is with double the HP and if I can get my car hooked up on the salt it should set some new records. I think the current record is a little over 227mph. Maybe if I take his record he will bring his car back out and we can have some fun with a little friendly battle.

Jerry O

Offline argo19c

• New folks
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2011, 02:35:25 PM »
Hello Jerry,
 It is nice to see you are going to build the new liner. You may recall I came by your place to check out your first liner, prior to your selling it. We had discussed several engine options for your new liner. When you get a chance please call me at (828) 526 4975, I have something to discuss with you. Ralph from Highlands, NC

efenn611

« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2011, 06:11:48 PM »
Jerry,  Very glad to hear the other half is fine !          as for the turbine make SURE you can get enough air to the inlet, or it wont make power . As for hooking up think ground effects, they work

Ed :-D :-D :-D

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2011, 11:02:27 PM »
Ed,   I am currently in the design stages of the body. The engine air intake is one of the many things I am looking at. My main focus is on getting the best shape I can, even if I have to give up a little HP. My engine will produce around 1500 hp. With 1500 hp and a frontal area of about 5.0 sq. ft I figure the car could see 400mph. Since the record I am looking at is about 227mph, I feel I can give up some hp for a better shape body. My car will have ground effects both front and rear. Traction and stability. I have a lot more testing before I decide on the shape. Not only is the intake air a issue but so is the exhaust flow. So much work and so little time.

Jerry O

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2011, 12:27:10 AM »
Not only is the intake air a issue but so is the exhaust flow.
Jerry O

Good to hear you're "back in town" Jerry , send the exhaust out the rear is my vote.

Dr G
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.