Author Topic: New I/G Streamliner Build  (Read 47279 times)

Offline Jerry O

Re: New I/G Streamliner Build
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2009, 11:37:19 PM »
bharmon77........The axle has two keyway slots cut at 180 deg apart. The reason the wheel hubs have three is because I was going to use just one large key way but changed my mind and decided to go with two smaller keyways instead. The third keyway slot in the hubs are not used. Nothing special, just my screw up.  Thanks.........Jerry

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2009, 04:31:18 PM »
Jerry O,

Thank you for the response, you have built a beautiful car and I have gone over the pictures many times to admire the craftsmanship.
I am in Ohio and hope to get my car to Maxton some time this year, hope to see you there where I can see the car first hand.

BHarmon

Offline MyRideisMe

• Can't wait for my first Speedweek
    • Hot Rod and Custom Car Community
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2009, 05:00:20 PM »
What an amazingly clean car! Any chance I can talk to you about it for a feature story?  Part 1 now, Part 2 at Speedweek?
Thank you,
Pike
Please email or PM me.
Pictures of all my cars including my 1927 Lakes Roadster Modified called, "Bonnie"

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2009, 07:01:07 PM »
Since I am in the process of building the body I thought I would post some photos of what it will look like.
It is going to be one piece made of fiberglass. The wheel tubs will be made into the body. This will make it easier for me to do the service work after each run. This is a rough 1/8 scale model I carved out of foam just to show about what it will look like. Don't laugh, I only spent about a hour on it but I think you can get a idea of what it will look like. For the real body I have started with a 36 inch X 36 inch X 21 foot long piece of foam. I will then carve the foam to the shape and use that for my buck. Then the fun part of hand laying all the fiberglass. Sanding fiberglass is not one the fun things I like to do but it cost too much to have someone do it for me. I hope to have the body ready to mount in about 2 weeks.

Good luck to all of you going to Bonneville in the next few weeks. I wish I was going with you. Be safe and have a great time...........JerryO

« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 08:12:38 PM by Jerry O »

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2009, 06:11:36 PM »
Jerry,
Not to hard to see which cars influenced your body shape selection! Considering that Jack Costello cars have absolutely hammered the records of every class they have run in you have made a good choice.

Sounds like you are going to make a plug and then pull the body off of the plug so you will get to do lots of sanding and bondo, cold showers help with the itching!! On a body the size you are making I would think that the it might be a close trade off going to the effort to make a female mold and not have to sand all of that fiber glass to get it really smooth and it would certainly make a smoother body. Sanding foam and bondo is not nearly as painful as fiber glass.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2009, 06:16:48 PM »
Jerry, consider making it a two piece so in case of an emergency we have better access to the driver or engine if there is a fire. The less we have to undo is better.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2009, 08:05:38 PM »
Rex........ This being my first LSR car so I decided to go with a proven design. Jacks cars are definitely that, plus I just like the way they look. I have made some changes of my own that I think may help. As for the body mold, I too think going with a female mold would make a nicer piece but I am on a very tight budget. I figured it would cost double to go that route. I don't mind putting some blood and sweet into the body. I have made a couple projects this way and they turned out really nice. Just got to rub on it more. I have talked to Jack a few times and he has given me some good information on how to save on the body build. Like you said, lots of sanding.

Glen........ Your idea about a two piece body is something I have been thinking about also . As you said, it will make it easier in the event of a fire and since I will only have a couple people helping me with the car, it will also be easier to remove the body. I am definitely thinking about it.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 08:11:05 PM by Jerry O »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2009, 10:26:43 PM »
Where are you thinking about splitting it? 

3 pieces maybe,  from just in front of the drivers feet,  behind  the canopy  vertically and  at the waist line from in front of the feet to the rear of car?  would make it easier to get to you, and the eng. and drivetrain area. The eng "cover" would be all you would reguarly remove?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2010, 10:25:46 AM »
Jerry,
Did you ever get your car finished?????

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Tman

« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2010, 05:41:57 PM »
Yes, updates?

Offline BALS aSALT

• Go Fast Be Safe...oh, and hold my Redbull
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2011, 08:07:08 PM »
i'm thinking by jerrys post back in july and said that the body would be ready to mount in two weeks................... i 'm guessing that maybe life got in the way :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
yes , i said life NOT wife.
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline Tman

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2011, 12:34:47 PM »
i'm thinking by jerrys post back in july and said that the body would be ready to mount in two weeks................... i 'm guessing that maybe life got in the way :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
yes , i said life NOT wife.

Maybe he glued his self to the foam plug?! :-D

Naw, he is around, I got a PM from him the other day.

Offline krusty

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2011, 03:16:15 PM »
IIRC, Jerry put the uncompleted project up for sale a year or more ago. Was listed on this site. Whoever wound up with it got a great car; I saw it at a pre-tech at Maxton (I was doing the same with the RMR) and it was outstanding.     vic

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2011, 05:46:23 PM »
Hi guys!  I'm still hanging around, just in the back ground.  As for the streamliner, unfortunately I had to sell it . My wife was diagnosed with cancer about a year ago and we put all our focus on getting her well. The medical bills got to be a little more than we could handle so I sold the car to take care of that. Good news is she is doing fine and cancer free now. I can allways build another car but can't replace her. Anybody that will put up with me for 40 years is defiantly a keeper. As soon as the finances get back to normal, I plan on starting a new car. I learned a lot from the first car and hope to build a much better streamliner. I have allready started building the wind tunnel model.  I did sell the car to Jim and Mary True in California. They plan on running the car sometime this year. They currently hold records in the I/GS and I/FS classes using one of Jack Costella's cars. I wish them luck and hope to see the car set some records. As soon as I get a little more involved in my new car, I will be sure to keep everyone posted on the progress. Thanks all for your interest.

Jerry O

Offline Tman

« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2011, 06:06:29 PM »
You can stay busy full time answering all my questions! I hope to see the car at the salt this year.