Author Topic: New I/G Streamliner Build  (Read 47324 times)

Offline Ro Yale

Re: New I/G Streamliner Build
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2009, 08:11:45 PM »
Nice car!! Good luck and be safe!
Racers Race and Whiners Whine!

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2009, 09:03:58 PM »
Outstanding workmanship and engineering.

Have one bone to pick, though . The tubular "gussets" on the roll cage to the shoulder hoop  need to be .125 steel plates, as I recall.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2009, 09:19:58 PM »
Outstanding workmanship and engineering.

Have one bone to pick, though . The tubular "gussets" on the roll cage to the shoulder hoop  need to be .125 steel plates, as I recall.

I.B. Many cars are built with tubing in this area, plate is not a requirement as I recall.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2009, 09:28:33 PM »
I agree with Dyno,,, you may use tubular or plate gussets.  As I recall you can choose open or closed corner gussets as well.  Open corner would seem best as they don't give salt a place to rest and hide...

Just my understanding and opinion.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline oneliterlandspeed

• New folks
    • oneliterlandspeed.blogspot
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2009, 09:57:07 PM »
Jerry,
The page you need to look at is 24, 25 and 26. 3.B1 reads - Gussets are required at tube junctions of hoops and shoulder rail. Gussets shall be made from mild steel, .125 in. minimum thickness and 4 in. per side, preferably stitch welded on the outside of the tube junction, and are required at all shoulder bar attachment points. Grinding of welds is NOT permitted, See Figures 2 and 3. Page 26 does read -Deviation requests shall include strength calculation, drawings and/or pictures... if you would like to keep your tube gussets.  The intent of this gusset is to tear not break when the event of an impact strikes the roll cage. That is why tech prefers the stitch weld. Don't forget the rule book is a wealth of knowledge, years of people taking the time to investigate very unfortunate events on the salt and making a correction to see it does not happen again. it should never be more than a arms reach away.

Terry
The need for speed...My favorite quote.."You must be fast because I was haul'n a.s.s. when I passed you!"
Luck has little to do with land speed records. Good luck comes from thousands of hours of painstaking details others may not consider important.

3 I/GS records and 1 I/FS record

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2009, 10:58:24 PM »
Thanx oneliter, none of us bothered to check the RULE BOOK!

Personaly, and I've done two LEGAL SCTA rollbars recently,  I LIKE the TUBING!!!

Somebody might check NHRAs "PATCH" on older chassis that don't have a tube internally inserted where the RB attaches. They want a VERTICAL back of and up to to the front bar, nothing beyond.

Not legal SCTA/BNI and not necessarily the best idea.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 11:00:53 PM by interested bystander »

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2009, 11:25:18 PM »
Terry,  If I understand you correctly, the rule book states that I can use the tube braces as long as I have them approved.  Unfortunately, I did not think this would be a issue,  when I was is the design stage of my chassis I pulled up about every car photo I could find to see what other cars that ran Bonneville was using. I found that some had tubes and some had the .125 plates. I have been building all types of race cars for the past 30 years and have my own oppinion of the use of the braces but my opinion does not count , the rule book is what I have to follow.  Buy the way, hope you are feeling better and look forward to hearing from you next week.      Thanks.....Jerry

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2009, 11:31:58 PM »
Your last comments are correct re: what actually races out there .

Way to many violations of a rather simple, well-defined rule.

He's the tech guy's buddy so tech guy  looks the other way.

Or tech man is IGNORANT of the rule!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 11:33:41 PM by interested bystander »

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2009, 11:43:51 PM »
Terry,  If I understand you correctly, the rule book states that I can use the tube braces as long as I have them approved.  Unfortunately, I did not think this would be a issue,  when I was is the design stage of my chassis I pulled up about every car photo I could find to see what other cars that ran Bonneville was using. I found that some had tubes and some had the .125 plates. I have been building all types of race cars for the past 30 years and have my own oppinion of the use of the braces but my opinion does not count , the rule book is what I have to follow.  Buy the way, hope you are feeling better and look forward to hearing from you next week.      Thanks.....Jerry

The bottom line is this rule was written in blood (as many are). A cage with o-to-thin tubing crashed at El Mirage. The cage bars pushed into the shoulder bar during a mishap. As the car continued to crash the cage was ripped off. That is why a plate with stitch welding is recommended. End of story. Do what you think will keep you safe.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2009, 11:58:40 PM »
Jerry,

Would it be possible to keep the tube braces as you have them and just add a stitched in plate gusset ?

The Liner looks great, I know you did good research, and some of the diagrams show tubes sone show plates and many pics of cars show some of each design.

Talk soon,,, need your sdvice on the cage matter we spoke about Wednesday.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2009, 12:11:07 AM »
Dynoroom..... It is not what I think that will keep me safe,  It is what the rule book states. That is what I will follow.  Unfortunately I had a tech guy tell me the tube braces would be OK and recommended them. The one thing I am learning is even though the rule book is  black and white about the rules, there seams to be some grey areas depending on what some tech guys will pass or not pass. I feel confident that as long as people like you and the others that have given me advice, I will be OK.  Thanks again for your help.

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2009, 12:18:29 AM »
Charles........ I will have to do some research on that. I am hoping I will be able to just add the .125 plates and not have to cut the tubes out.  Call me anytime and we can talk about your cage or maybe I can make a trip to Welcome.

Offline hitz

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2009, 02:37:24 AM »
The cage attachment drawing is a little confusing to me. The text that describes attachment of the gusset says it is recommended to stitch weld it to the shoulder bar. Some wire welders have a stitch control that is adjustable and welds with a series of arcs that can be adjusted for time on and time off. Most welders have learned to do it with out the controller.

The drawing shows a skip/staggered/intermittent weld. Welding symbols show numbers IE: (3-10) with an arrow to the sample weldament in the old Hobart pocketbook. The 3 would be the lenth of the weld and the 10 is distance to the center of the weld segments.

I think some people get the skip and the stitch mixed up. I had the stitch going so well (enjoying it I was) I forgot to skip. I used 3/16 MS plate. Ill take a hole saw with me for the inspectors if I have to change it to a ripping gusset. I like the gussets over the the tubing in this case. IMHO

Harvey

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2009, 09:35:50 AM »
     '09 ECTA rulebook, under 3.B.1 towards end of second paragraph, page 19:  "See figures 2,3,4,and 5.  On new construction a proper tubing gusset is preferred."  5th paragraph:  Should you decide to race at any SCTA sanctioned event, we strongly advise you to obtain a SCTA rulebook as their requirements are significantly different than what is stated above."

Rules are written and enforced for the benefit of all concerned.  At times technical progress can advance faster than changes in the book are made.  Improvements can always be made with fine tuning - isn't that why we do what we do?  Not picking on any organizations, committees, or individuals here, but remembering [and thankful for] that these are volunteers within organizations doing their best to promote our common good.

If detailed questions are submitted to the appropriate organizations/contact persons in a respectful, timely, and orderly manner I am confident common sense and logic will prevail for the benefit of all.

I am helping out on the construction of a new lakester, when completed planning to run Maxton [or Loring] to start, eventually to the salt.  Has tube knee braces on the cage now.  Will certainly be in contact with the appropriate Tech Committee chairs prior to heading in any direction when the that time comes.

Ed Purinton

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2009, 08:33:05 AM »
Just curious, it appears that you have 3 keyways in your rear hubs with only one keyway in the rear axle. What is the reason for the three keyways? Sorry if your answer is already somewhere in the text, I missed it.

BHarmon