Author Topic: APS-PG-750 bike reworked  (Read 17181 times)

Offline JimL

Re: APS-PG-750 bike reworked
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2011, 12:04:16 PM »
Thanks Oz....other life stuff to work out, right now.  We got good news on one head....the lines in the ports were scribes from the porting measurement, not cracks.  The water in that cylinder/head was the combination of head jacket water (trapped behind part of the head gasket) and salt....this fuzzed up the chamber and made it look like the engine had ingested water.  A pressure check of the head found it OK.  The water happened when I pulled the head in impound....and we don't have any coolant, so the water/salt react very fast.  Live and learn, I guess.

Addendum to the orange bike story....I always find a way to embarass myself, and this year is no exception.  You see, after my first pass we were impound at a little over 150...obviously undergeared with 40 teeth on the rear sprocket.  We pulled the rear wheel, got the 38T out of my stack of sprockets, ran the next morning at 159.6 and figured "that's all there is".

Yesterday, back at the shop and unloading stuff...I find a new, unused, never had a bolt on it, 38T sprocket?!  Wait a minute....I only have one...went to look at the bike and sure enough, I'd put a 36T on it (good for 174-180 with a lot more engine!).  That's why the bike quit accelerating in 5th gear and never ran where it should have.

Wow....blew all those runs for a dumb mistake. :oops:

Regards, JimL