Author Topic: mounting for ice chest in car  (Read 2532 times)

Offline Bruno

mounting for ice chest in car
« on: July 01, 2009, 12:13:36 AM »
I am planning on using a "cool shirt", and will have to mount a ice chest where the passengers seat use to be. My plans are to strap it in with heavy steel flat iron and bolt it into the 4 original seat bolts. 

Has anyone had issues with this, type of mounting, its a plain old ice chest.

Dave

Offline JimL

Re: mounting for ice chest in car
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 01:55:15 AM »
No comments yet.... I'm thinking it might be a little flimsy.  Here's a thought....we used a plastic fuel cell for an inverter cooler in 2004 (mounted where the right front seat used to be).  We cut a big hole in the top, and used a marine deck plate (the kind you can walk on, and will stand heavy weather) to make a large enough opening to dump crushed ice into the tank.  It straps down like a normal fuel tank, is tough, and cheap.... and you don't have to unstrap it to refill your ice.

The inspectors had no problem with that arrangement.

Regards, JimL

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 06:18:26 PM »
heavy steel flat iron

What are we talkin' about here....
THis depends on your definition of "heavy steel". Also will depend on how much the cooler will weigh once filled. The good thing about having a cooler sitting shotgun is that if the car ever rolls over it is better to have cool water fall on you as apposed to something else!

I could see a pair 3/8 or 1/4 X 2ish" being very sturdy.....even overkill if multiple straps are used.

Today I was fitting a cooler shotgun for the liquid to air.....nothing fancy....just an old Coleman I found in the garage that fits. Making a box for it to go in with a latching lid and quick disconnects so we can fill the cooler out of the car.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline RX7Paula

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 06:43:55 PM »
I use one at El Mirage, but it is not permanently mounted in our roadster.  Since we anticipate our run being no longer than a minute, we have the ice chest sitting on the tonneau (sp?) cover on a towel so it doesn't scratch anything.  I suit up and get in (I usually suit up early with the vest because it is like a little piece of heaven on those 100 degree days) and finish belting and putting on my helmet/gloves.  We keep the system hooked up until the starter has checked my belts, marked my run sticker and given me the go ahead.  Then we pop the quick release valves and Scott takes the ice chest to the chase vehicle, and away I go.  No additional weight added to the car and no having to worry about mounting.  The suit stays very cool till the end of the run.

I know the roadrace guys mount theirs, but since we don't need it for a 45 minute race, we don't.  You could let yours set in the passenger area and have your crew member disconnect it and take it to the chase vehicle before you leave.
Paula Burns

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 01:22:21 PM »
Paula,

You should post here more often..congrats on your two records this year.. :cheers:

J