Author Topic: Bonneville events for 2009. Which one?  (Read 4587 times)

Offline DMH

• New folks
  • Speedweek 09
Bonneville events for 2009. Which one?
« on: June 28, 2009, 08:05:01 PM »
 My wife & I attended our 1st Speedweek last year. We had a blast. She had more fun than I did, and I'm a motor head. We're considering trying to go back this year if we can get a room and if work allows it.
My question, if we can't attend Speedweek 2009, what about the World of Speed event in Sept. and the World Finals in October?
 What is the difference between World of Speed and the World Finals? What can we expect from these two events compared to Speedweek?
dave

Offline Speed Limit 1000

Re: Bonneville events for 2009. Which one?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 09:48:57 PM »
They are both a lot smaller events and a good time. In September the weather is nice. October can be very cold in the mornings. Also  latter in the year the event could be weathered out. 8-)
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 10:27:49 AM »
In very general terms, the big difference is in the number of entries.

SpeedWeek = 475+ entrants

World of Speed = 200 entries

World Finals = 100 entries.

Now -- the "fun factor" makes each one the best to see.  Some say that the "hard core" racers like WF because it's not so crowded and the air is cooler -- better for NA engines.  World of SPeed fans like that because the USFRA (sanctioning body) is much closer-knit and therefore more familial.  SpeedWeek afficianadoes like the mid-August racing because there are so many vehicles to see.

I could go on -- but that's a quick synopsis of some reasons.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
Speed week has 514 pre entries this year. :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 11:09:18 AM »
I'd bet that rooms in Wendover become available Tues. or Wed. of SpeedWeek while ther're still 300 entries running.  The spectators and the rat-rodders have gone home and a stateline gambling town on Tuesday or Wednesday surely has rooms available.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline DMH

• New folks
  • Speedweek 09
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 12:12:20 PM »
We stayed at Peppermill last year. Attended the Michael McDonald concert too. Hung out in SLC and drove into Wyoming as far as Rock Springs. We both had a great time. A couple of times I embarrassed my wife out on the salt acting silly. I wasn't even drinking. I was so exited to be there I felt like a kid at the fair.
Now that we're not a salt virgins anymore, we want to come back this year. We started talking about Speedweek a couple of months ago. We hadn't planned on going this year, but the more we dicusssed it, the more we wanted to attend. It might be too late for Speedweek, that's why I asked about the other two events. Snooze we lose.
dave