Author Topic: Anyone datalog/ measure post intercooler intake temps?  (Read 3204 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Anyone datalog/ measure post intercooler intake temps?
« on: June 27, 2009, 12:33:04 PM »
I have the innovative DL-32.

I would like to know what my true intake (into the plenum) temps are. Nordskog makes a gauge that looks like it would work
 http://nordskogperformance.net/product.php?productid=18538&cat=85&page=1

But I would like to be able to datalog these temps during a run.
I can change a few things about my intercooler to make the air cooler or hotter, but dont want to look at a gauge during the run.

Anyone looking at their post intercooler air temps?

BTW:

Nordskog also makes a GPS speedo, I talked to a tech (they list this as 200+mph.....but what does "+" mean) and he said the "chipset was good to 256".

Looks like I might have one of these as well!

http://nordskogperformance.net/product.php?productid=18768
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Anyone datalog/ measure post intercooler intake temps?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 12:52:05 PM »

Doesn't everyone?    :-D

Yes we record ours. If you choose to do this record before and after chargeair temp. I also record pressure before and after the cooler. This will give you some idea how good your chargeair cooler is. What ever the delta P is it should never change. Same with the delta T. So if you get your data on the dyno it should stay the same at the track.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline jl222

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 01:27:48 PM »
 We have always looked at our before and after intercooler temps since we built the 222 car in 1989.

We use a [ microprocessor thermometer type j-k thermocouple model HH22] made by Omega. this little device measures about 21/2 x 6 in has 2 thermocouples  [ used to cost about $120] get the smallest wire thermocouples for fastest response. It comes with a case which we mount on the dash on pasenger side and crew member has to set before run. It only records max and low from each lead but not at any particular part of the run. I just drilled a small hole for the wires in the boost tubes or manifold and siliconed them in and never had a problem.

Our new FAST EFI records several times a second which we can review readings at any point in the run but does not read temps before intercooler.
 The Omega is not as nice as the FAST but a hell of a lot better than nothing and I'm always surprised that more racers don't know what there blower temps are.

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 02:00:59 PM »

Doesn't everyone?    :-D

Yes we record ours. If you choose to do this record before and after chargeair temp. I also record pressure before and after the cooler. This will give you some idea how good your chargeair cooler is. What ever the delta P is it should never change. Same with the delta T. So if you get your data on the dyno it should stay the same at the track.

Michael I used to measure the pressure before and after on our old setup and got about a 5lb pressure drop at 32 lbs [homemade intercoolers] some of this I figured was restriction the rest from temp drop. I know the intercooler guys advertise very little pressure drop but don't know why there wouldn't be more. Like when a tire cools off it looses pressure, or a balloon.
 And my chemistry book has formulas showing as temp goes up pressure and volume go up and as temp goes down volume and pressure go down. But this is in a trapped volume.
 Got to rig up a pressure guage on the hot side of our new intercooler to see whats happening with it.

See you at Bville JL222  :cheers:

« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 11:10:47 PM by jl222 »

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 10:44:33 AM »
Doesn't everyone?

That may have been a tongue-in-cheek reply but it should be true.

The amount of information you data log is only limited by your budget. It is expensive, but without it you are working from an educated guess rather than hard data.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

McRat

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 12:13:28 PM »
If your datalogger has external resistance ports on it, on 2006+ Duramax Pickups, there is a fast acting resistance based pyro sensor for the post-CAC manifold temps.  This means no amplifier needed (not like a thermocouple).  On 2007.5+ trucks there are also resistance based exhaust pyros that go past 1832 F yet, are also suprisingly accurate at 0 deg (after mapping the curve).  This would also make a good CAC pyro.  I mapped both of these, and the inlet pyro is fairly linear IIRC, but the exh pyro is only linear from 800-1700.  You need to adjust the data in other areas.

If you are interested, I can dig up the P/N's.  One thing about OEM sensors, is that they are way more durable than most aftermarket stuff.  They have to last over 50,000mi for EPA crud.