Author Topic: How much thread is to show past the 1" lug nuts  (Read 10193 times)

Offline fastman614

Re: How much thread is to show past the 1" lug nuts
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 11:14:52 PM »
Hey all... I have not logged on here in a while.... my real job took me far away....

What I want to say is this.... as an inspector, I CANNOT speak for every other inspector. BUT... if another inspector has had "issues" with your lug nuts (or any onther thing on your car).... IF YOU FEEL THAT HE IS NOT CORRECT..... there is an appeal process..... THAT DOES NOT INVOLVE TEMPER TANTRUMS incidentally.... what is it the core of it though, is to have done your homework..... if your wheel nuts are longer than the thread.... if you have double tapered wheel nuts.... if you are running mag wheel type lug nuts .... if you are attempting to get through tech with ANYTHING that is, how shall I say this, outside of the ordinary...... please do your homework PRIOR to Speedweek, El Mirage, the World Finals etc... and have good explanations as to why it is out of the ordinary..... because I DO NOT want to hear at Speedweek that the reason that my wheel studs are as they are is because the tire guy screwed up and put these tires on to rims that were the wrong offset and they rubbed against the brake rotors and I had to put spacers behind the wheels and I only found this out last night and I drove all night and day to get here and.... and .... and.... because I HAVE heard explanations similar to this about wheel  nuts and stud legths.... as  well as A HOST of other "stupid" problems (and I use the word stupid here in the context of meaning where it means- a person knows what is the right thing to do but does the wrong thing anyway....  I have Summit's toll free telephone number on my speed dialer in my cell phone..... I copy it on to the top of the inspection form and strongly suggest that they call them ASAP..... they can have new studs in two days....

One other thing.... I did not say you would NOT pass (no ifs ands or buts)....  I did say if you have mitigating factors etc....

Oh.... and one other thing... to the person who said that I should check my daily driver.... or my pickup truck.... or even my rat rod... etc... I DID check.... a long time prior to this exchange occurring too..... and.... they would ALL PASS a BNI inspection! (for the lug nuts and studs, anyway) and thanks for the thought...
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.