Author Topic: How much thread is to show past the 1" lug nuts  (Read 10192 times)

Offline Bruno

How much thread is to show past the 1" lug nuts
« on: June 22, 2009, 10:03:56 PM »
I have 1/2 bolts in my   C/GT Corvette, the 1" lugs fill all the threads with the tip of the bolt just at or slightly above the 1" lug nut.

Other classes of racing require a certain length of bolt to be exposed, I can not find this in the book, or searching the forum.

I see no issues with what I have, but I am sure there is an opinion on this at tech.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: How much thread is to show past the 1" lug nuts
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 10:09:33 PM »
It's under wheels on pgs. 19 & 20 of the 2009 rule book. You need 5/8 in of thread into the nut, no acorn nuts allowed. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline hitz

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 11:49:04 PM »
Glen. The 1/2" x1" lugs I've seen and bought have a little over 11/16" of threads. Flush with the nut should do it.

Happy Birthday, Glen.

I'm late huh!

Harvey

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 11:58:21 PM »
back in the old days (not SCTA) when they wanted 2 threads past the lug nut; I ground the nuts down on my dads surface grinder and gave just what they wanted :evil:
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 12:37:58 AM »
Can count on you to follow the rules!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline fastman614

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 11:19:03 PM »
Well, I am a tech inspector at Bonneville.... if at least ONE full thread is not visible beyond the nut, I ASK QUESTIONS.... If the thread is not at least flush with the outer edge of the nut, you WILL NOT pass tech.... unless, there is some serious mitigating factors, such as you custom made your own lug nuts and they are much longer than the ones you can purchase.... but then, i am an engineering technician and i understand strengths, stress loading etc....

However, I do not understand the concept that, every once in a while, people will show up at Bonneville who did not spend the 20 to 40 or so bucks that Summit or  any of the other mail order companies charge for a full set of longer studs....

In matters like this, I ask that you use a bit of wisdom and think about safety and what the potential alternative could be if your stock length lug stud does not  stay fully engaged with the nut....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 08:53:17 AM »
Looks like I need to be buying some longer studs for my rear wheels :-D  mine are flush
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jl222

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 04:11:44 PM »
Well, I am a tech inspector at Bonneville.... if at least ONE full thread is not visible beyond the nut, I ASK QUESTIONS.... If the thread is not at least flush with the outer edge of the nut, you WILL NOT pass tech.... unless, there is some serious mitigating factors, such as you custom made your own lug nuts and they are much longer than the ones you can purchase.... but then, i am an engineering technician and i understand strengths, stress loading etc....

However, I do not understand the concept that, every once in a while, people will show up at Bonneville who did not spend the 20 to 40 or so bucks that Summit or  any of the other mail order companies charge for a full set of longer studs....

In matters like this, I ask that you use a bit of wisdom and think about safety and what the potential alternative could be if your stock length lug stud does not  stay fully engaged with the nut....

fastman... the rule says 5/8 in of threads no mention of threads past nut. This rule [1 in lug nuts] is very confusing as [I believe it is for TAPERED lug nuts] not the type that are for the type of wheel we run with lug nuts that fit inside the wheel with almost 2 in of thread. MADE BY THE WHEEL MANUFACTURE TO EXACT SPECIFICTIONS AND HARDENDED. Racers are making up plates that space these lugs further from inside of wheel or having them made special that are not up to manufacture specs but SCTA spec.

JL222

PS an inspector called us on threads not past lug nuts at May El Mirage which is NO SUCH REQUIREMENT IN RULE BOOK
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 04:22:08 PM by jl222 »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 04:52:45 PM »

fastman... the rule says 5/8 in of threads no mention of threads past nut. This rule [1 in lug nuts] is very confusing as [I believe it is for TAPERED lug nuts] not the type that are for the type of wheel we run with lug nuts that fit inside the wheel with almost 2 in of thread. MADE BY THE WHEEL MANUFACTURE TO EXACT SPECIFICTIONS AND HARDENDED. Racers are making up plates that space these lugs further from inside of wheel or having them made special that are not up to manufacture specs but SCTA spec.

JL222

PS an inspector called us on threads not past lug nuts at May El Mirage which is NO SUCH REQUIREMENT IN RULE BOOK

JL222

Just curious.  Are you using threaded shank nuts on alumimum wheels, ala centerline?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 07:02:04 PM »
We've got long studs.  And 1" lug nuts with a taper on both sides (Speedway?).  Last year the inspector said I had them on backwards.  Must of been the end of a long day.  Then he checked my throttle return springs by having me floor the throttle and side step it.  Bang!  "Sounds like two springs to me," he said.  "No, it's three," I replied.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jl222

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 07:18:46 PM »
   Yes [Weld] and 11/4 in. washers with a spring load built in [ like a belvue washer]
   That's why I don't believe the 1 in. lug nut rule was ment for these types of lug nuts and should be clarified

JL222

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 10:00:36 PM »
Grind off some of the nut if yer close. :evil:
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 12:08:24 AM »

There doesn't have to be. The inspector can't do an engineering analysis on every nut and bolt, so the easy way to look at it is the nut was designed to have FULL thread engagement. If it doesn't, then you get to go back to the shop and fix it.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline jl222

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 12:46:53 AM »

There doesn't have to be. The inspector can't do an engineering analysis on every nut and bolt, so the easy way to look at it is the nut was designed to have FULL thread engagement. If it doesn't, then you get to go back to the shop and fix it.

Yea right grind the nut down now its better?
  The rules say 5/8 in of ingagement nothing about threads past nut. and you have inspectors making up there own rules? :roll:
  If SCTA wants threads showing past the nut put it in the rule book.
         JL222

P.S.  fastman snd Dean you better go check the lug nuts on your trucks and passenger cars, might not be full ingagement-no threads
showing and ready to  fall off at any time. You and how many millions of cars? Better grind the acorn nut far enough so threads are past
it so you [will think its safer and better than the manufactures]

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 01:28:22 AM by jl222 »

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 11:33:38 AM »
Sounds like the 9Th Disrict Court of Appeals. Constitution We don't need no Stinking Constitiution...
Rulebook, We don't need no Stinking Rulebook. . . . . .

5/8" is 5/8" as I read it and did it when I inspected vehicles. My major concern were the washers or plates on alloy wheels and proper lugs on allow wheels with threads to ends when I learned about it how some were manufactured. I am sure there are still alloy whees with shank style wheels (ie Centerlines) without 1" outside measured wheels going over and setting records over 200 mph; most are 7/8" . There is a way to do it following the current rule book but for the most part it is not done. It take some inginuity and no I did come up with it. I saw it someone else car and asked the owner what they had done. I looked good to me and I used on my own vwehicle when I reached 200.

Steel wheels only needed to follow what are rules stated which is for over 200. Good Luck....JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro