Author Topic: GPS Questions  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Viau Boys

• New folks
GPS Questions
« on: June 22, 2009, 04:47:23 PM »
I know some people run a GPS that provides them with velocity information during a run. I am wondering if any of these units are capable of saving velocity data with respect to time. I don't really think that I'll have time to look down at small screen during a run, so I'd like to get something that I can plug into a laptop after a run to read a plot or chart of velocity vs. time.

I don't want to pay the money required for a data logging system, especially since at this point the only data I'm interested in is velocity.

Thanks for any help, Matt
Matt Viau
Car #1305, Brampton Michigan's Fastest Brick

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: GPS Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 08:42:52 PM »
I use a Garmin eTrex Legend that logs MPH over time. It logs the MPH every second.

There are several. Do a search for GPS and you will find several threads that cover GPS units throughly.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Viau Boys

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 12:27:25 AM »
Thanks Dean, probably shoulda tried the search first.
Matt Viau
Car #1305, Brampton Michigan's Fastest Brick

Offline Commuta_Busa

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 08:32:51 AM »
this may be off topic but I'm curious if it's better to measure velocity vs time or vs distance? My thought was that I would prefer to know at what points I'm traveling at what speed. Am I nuts with this thought? Just curious what others may think...

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 08:39:58 AM »
VB and CB, Glen does all that for you on the salt, tells you how fast you averaged from the 2 to the 1/4 and the 3.... 3 to 4... 4 to 5 and those are the only speeds that count... no need for a GPS so you can limit your speeds to sandbag records like at EM... just go as fast as you can.  If you are using the GPS to license better search the site... a thread from last year talked about that, someone missed the mark several times.... again the only speeds that count are the averages over the distance....
See ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O