Author Topic: A Few Questions  (Read 7816 times)

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Re: A Few Questions
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 11:31:38 AM »
Dick, what speed are hopeing for?
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline dickj

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 12:00:15 PM »
Fred,

I'm hoping for 213 to 218.

Dick

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 01:47:09 PM »
Good luck Dick. Having spent some quality time with your car :-D I know how nice it is. I'm pullin for you.

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline MIKE MATY

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 02:27:05 PM »
There is a huge difference in traction between bville and any asphalt track. 9 extra seconds of acceleration is worth a few miles per hour if you have the gear and the aero. Most expierienced lsr competitors should be able to show up with the correct gear ratio to optimize the top speed.

Im not saying that everone should be able to go out and run as fast as they can the first time out. But if you are an experienced land speed racer with the A lisence,  I think 175mph is a resonable starting point. Given the conditons of the facility are much better the most other places.

just my .02
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Maxton
A/FRS      205.531
D/FSS      159.427
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Ohio
A/FRS       208.530
2013 Hot Rod Top Speed Challenge Winner

Offline RansomT

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 02:58:57 PM »
There is a huge difference in traction between bville and any asphalt track. 9 extra seconds of acceleration is worth a few miles per hour if you have the gear and the aero. Most expierienced lsr competitors should be able to show up with the correct gear ratio to optimize the top speed.

Im not saying that everone should be able to go out and run as fast as they can the first time out. But if you are an experienced land speed racer with the A lisence,  I think 175mph is a resonable starting point. Given the conditons of the facility are much better the most other places.

just my .02

For what it is worth (kinda agree) ... I attended the World of Speed last year for my first time ever on the salt.  I showed them my Class A license from ECTA.  They asked "If I didn't mind, to keep the first pass under 150 mph and then I could go all out."  Now personally, I wouldn't have run faster than 150 on the first pass no matter what they had told me.  I'd rather be on the safe side and while car I drove was stable on the salt, I never had drove it. 

Now, I also understand that the LTA is new and the volunteers need the "step up" speeds as well as drivers.  Also, while the track maybe in better condition, I personally need to "feel" the weather conditions before attempting 200+ on my 'Busa.  Starting runs at 150 or 175 for experience racers, don't hurt my feelings at all.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 06:41:18 PM »
I think their will be more then just a handlful of vehicle over 200mph. Look at it this way any vehicle that runs 180mph or higher at maxton or texas stands more then just a slight chance of hitting the 200 mark. I think you are going to be suprised. 

But I really don't know about that .... I've done the math and there isn't all that much time to accelerate that last 1/2 mile.   e.g. My Ford Taurus has done 171+ (ideal conditions) at Maxton.  That's about 250 feet per second.  Even at constent speed, it only covers that last 1/2 mile in 10.5 sec.  My 'Busa would have ~9 seconds.

The only thing limiting your acceleration is HP, Aero, and gearing.  Ten seconds is a long time and plenty of HP helps.  :cheers:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 06:49:40 PM »
If you can get to where the HP is and you're hooked up -- but you knew that part of the equasion, right?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 07:17:22 PM »
If you can get to where the HP is and you're hooked up -- but you knew that part of the equasion, right?

Yes, but they are talking about asphalt.  Much better traction than dirt... :roll: