Author Topic: A Few Questions  (Read 7817 times)

Offline MiltonP

A Few Questions
« on: June 20, 2009, 01:07:33 PM »
1 - Since all the records will be open, will you be teching cars for classes based on the Maxton record speeds?  Seems to be the easiest way to go about this aside from the fact that we are running an additional 1/2 mile.  Hopefully, those who anticipate breaking the next 'threshold' will tech for it or hold back.

2 - Will we have a gasoline vendor on site with the 100 octane and whatever else folks are purchasing on site?

I am still undecided between bringing the bike or the Miata though if I bring the later I may have to flip a coin with my G/GSS comrade in the VW to see who runs which class though i think her has been running a bit faster than I was last time out!   :wink:   Maybe I could look at the sports classes versus SS.

Offline Bob Wanner

Re: A Few Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 08:07:50 PM »
Milton,
We tech cars/bikes first for Safety, then allow speeds according to the vehicle and drivers' equipment.
If you have the  required rollcage and similar necessities, you can attempt speeds over the 135 street cars limitations. It's all spelled out in the Rulebook.
Records set at Loring are original and only apply to Loring. In having an additional 1/2 mile to accelerate, it would not be fair to compare ECTA records to Loring records.
On a comparative basis only, speed records set at Loring that exceed longer distance records could be considered LSR records, someday by somebody, at least.
Arguments have gone on a long time  about the recognizing of records between FIA/FIM, SCTA, ECTA, USFRA, DLRA, and it would be nice if someday we all just got along.
 I think our first event will include personal bests, track records ( obviously) , and a few numbers better than at other longer venues. I leave the discussions to the Monday morning types, and as time goes by and LTA is gradually accepted, we'll get our credibility.
Fuel;
Our on site Fuel vendor is VP, and they assured us a wide variety of fuels will be available.
Vehicle: up to you, we have plenty of bikes, everything is open, record wise. I've received a lot of mail suggesting people will run in multiple classes. Set  records as baselines and support the LTA, Thank You !!!
Bob Wanner

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 08:48:10 PM »
Having a mile and a half smooth paved course at 800 feet elevation has the potential to eclipse a lot previous records.  Everyone coming to the event should plan on gearing correctly.

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 09:11:15 PM »
Bob,  Thanks for the quick response but there are cases in the rulebook that state where the current record in a class exceeds... then you must have... and such.  I think what you said may be what is enforced though via running time only with a safety approval for a set max speed.  I would expect the ECTA records would be used to pick a speed that a new vehicle will have to pass safety tech at and that the driver would be asked to run progressively faster runs with it even if they have the appropriate license.  Milt

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 02:23:14 PM »
For starters, the Safety policy is to run incrementally faster at 25 mph per run.
This applies especially at a new venue, on an unfamiliar surface, and officiated by newbie staff .
Obviously,  our stated policy also allows "running up" in class , so the opportunity exists to set a  lot of records  at lower speeds that won't require  Safety equipment compared to existing ECTA or SCTA records speeds. You get a record(s), and we get a much needed cash infusion from each class change to defer our startup costs.
Once we are in business a few years, we'll also have the option of pure in-class runs, but right now we must play a little mercenary.
Bob W, Capitalist Tool

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 07:54:56 AM »
Milt,  I think what Bob is saying is that your tech will be set based upon the vehicles speed or potential speed.. (limits will be placed based upon MPH for the type of equipment each car/bike has) NOT the record in a class from another venue...

Example,,,,My first run at Maxton, I was teched  to 135 (knowing the car was faster).. I ran and had fun, it was more pressure not to exceed my tech limit than to go wide open...

My next meet and this year I am teched for 150 and have went 149.6xxx.. (how is that for dialing in on an index ? )

I think the LTA is going to be a great venue, we are Thrashing to get the Stude done for the event...

Forget about "existing" class records, as LTA is new and each run in each class has the potential to be a track record and will be benchmarks for future Track Records..Just tech your bike or car for as fast as you feel it will go (or as fast as the inspectors feel the driver and vehicle safety equipment will allow) and have fun...

See you this weekend at Maxton ?

Charles

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

LittleLiner

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 09:11:05 AM »
MiltonP  Good questions.  I think I understand what Bob is saying but just in case let me para phrase it to see if I really do have it right.

Don't concern yourself with the class record speeds from any other venue.  Look at the ECTA Rules (used by LTA).  If you have a car that does not have the appropriate safety equipment to run over 135 at Maxton then you should plan on limiting your speed to 135 or under at Loring. 

Do I have it right?

Also it looks like everybody will be limited to a 125 license pass on the first run (right?).  That should give you a chance to dial in your tach to judge your speed more acturately on your second run.  Remember to bring a calculator . .

My best at Maxton was 126 and change.  Given another half mile I expect I could go a bit faster.  How much?  Who knows?  Maybe I am already maxed out HP vs drag and another half mile won't help.  Or maybe I have another 5 or 10 mph.  If the stars align and I can somehow arrange to take the car to Loring I guess I'll find out.    Art

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 08:48:51 PM »
The question wasn't for my benefit as i don't have anything that will run over 135 up there anyways...I think...   :roll:

It was to help any newbies who may show up with something with a big engine that while it may not get within 50 mph of the Maxton record it would theoretically have to meet tech for the record speed at Maxton if they want to run in that class at Maxton and if you go by the book.  I think the situation for Loring is clear based on Bill's responses.

Offline greenjunk

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 10:40:32 PM »
Also it looks like everybody will be limited to a 125 license pass on the first run (right?).  That should give you a chance to dial in your tach to judge your speed more acturately on your second run.  Remember to bring a calculator . .

Bonneville is 175 if you have your A license, what exactly is the ruling, a 25mph increment from 135 is a lot of passes to get to 200mph in a car.
David
213mph Time Bomb Camaro

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 10:57:09 PM »
Bonneville A license is 200- 250. Four runs minimum to get A license.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 11:31:47 PM »
 Our Policy is Safety. We reserve the right to only allow 25mph increments for the vast majority of racers. Observing an individuals control and performance on a new venue allows us the option of possibly skipping an increment, but don't bet on it. It will not be based on favoritism or club-think, but that annoying attention to Safety.
We doubt highly that our Inaugural event will have vehicle attendance numbers such that every one does not get a lot of runs.  I also personally doubt that on Saturday or Sunday there'll be  a horde of over 200 mph  vehicles.
We'll address all this at that point, everybody will be reasonably happy.
BOB W

Offline MIKE MATY

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 09:13:46 AM »
I think their will be more then just a handlful of vehicle over 200mph. Look at it this way any vehicle that runs 180mph or higher at maxton or texas stands more then just a slight chance of hitting the 200 mark. I think you are going to be suprised. 
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Maxton
A/FRS      205.531
D/FSS      159.427
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Ohio
A/FRS       208.530
2013 Hot Rod Top Speed Challenge Winner

Offline RansomT

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 09:55:02 AM »
I think their will be more then just a handlful of vehicle over 200mph. Look at it this way any vehicle that runs 180mph or higher at maxton or texas stands more then just a slight chance of hitting the 200 mark. I think you are going to be suprised. 

But I really don't know about that .... I've done the math and there isn't all that much time to accelerate that last 1/2 mile.   e.g. My Ford Taurus has done 171+ (ideal conditions) at Maxton.  That's about 250 feet per second.  Even at constent speed, it only covers that last 1/2 mile in 10.5 sec.  My 'Busa would have ~9 seconds.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 11:19:19 AM »
I'd guess it'd be a gearing thing.  Our car goes 200 in two miles, and 210 in five miles at Bonneville.   And hits its power peak in the five.  Probably geared as right as we're able.

Some competitors may think they might go 50% quicker in running from one mile to a mile and a half and gear up accordingly and go a hella of a lot slower.  We went 203 at BV one time years ago and thought a gear change would make us even faster.  Went up 3% and couldn't break 200 at the World Finals -- couldn't pull the gear.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline dickj

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 11:23:08 AM »
I figure I'll just go to the driver's meeting and then follow whatever guidelines Bob and his staff give.  If I'm told 25mph increments, then I'm happy with 25mph increments.  If they limit me to a maximum speed lower than I think I should have, I'll be happy to run the speed they give me without complaint.  

DickJ
In East Texas