Author Topic: Fire Suppression Nozzle Postion  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Viau Boys

• New folks
Fire Suppression Nozzle Postion
« on: June 19, 2009, 11:49:58 PM »
Does anyone know what the generally recommended positioning for a 2 nozzle driver compartment fire system would be?

The car is a CGC 1968 Camaro.

Thanks for any input, Matt
Matt Viau
Car #1305, Brampton Michigan's Fastest Brick

Offline Bville701

Re: Fire Suppression Nozzle Postion
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 12:50:40 AM »
Aim the nozzle at the driver.     :-D
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

McRat

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 01:13:41 AM »
This might not apply since I run a pickup, but it might give other readers some ideas:

You are supposed to avoid blinding the driver with the nozzles.  Other than that, I used my best judgement.  I have two separate systems, one 10lb system for the driver (Cold Fire), one 10lb for the engine (Halon).

I run 3 nozzles inside (large cab):

A flat 180 deg nozzle that sprays from the upper center passenger side aimed at the top plane of the cab, much like a sprinkler system in a building.
A flat 180 deg nozzle that sprays from the lower center passenger side aimed at the bottom plane, so if the truck is upside down, it has the same effect.
A flat 180 deg nozzle that sprays from the middle center of the cab towards the driver mounted at a 45 deg angle so it hits me from helmet to shoes.

The third nozzle is the one that I expect to save my life.  Most all of it's Cold Fire suppressant will actually hit my body to increase the firesuit's survival time.
The other two should be able to put out the fire.

For the engine:

A 3-hole 180 deg nozzle aimed at the exhaust manifold on either side
A single port nozzle injected into the engine intake manifold directly.  This is diesel specific, to stop "runaways".  If a diesel gets oil into the intake (blown turbo), you cannot shut engine off by killing the fuel or electrics.  The Halon will do it.

If you do get into a fire situation, nobody can help you for a few minutes, and you might not be conscious.  It's the nature of LSR racing.  Don't skimp on fire protection.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 01:17:34 AM by McRat »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 11:28:48 AM »
You want your suppression to last as long as possible as well as fill the compartment.  If you use too many nozzles, the suppressant will be gone too soon.... figure out your volumes and release times.... or consult a professional for advise...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

McRat

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 11:42:55 AM »
You want your suppression to last as long as possible as well as fill the compartment.  If you use too many nozzles, the suppressant will be gone too soon.... figure out your volumes and release times.... or consult a professional for advise...

Yes, that is why I had to step up to a 10lb from a 5lb since I wanted the third nozzle.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 05:17:12 PM »
i have 2 in the cockpit.... 1 under the seat to cover the bulkhead and the other at the crotch area above me..
kent

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 06:03:28 PM »
i have 2 in the cockpit.... 1 under the seat to cover the bulkhead and the other at the crotch area above me..
kent

Don't want to roast your nuts :evil:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 08:09:23 PM »
Don't want to roast your nuts

Yeah, the last thing you need is hotnuts  :-D

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

McRat

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 08:12:33 PM »
Don't want to roast your nuts

Yeah, the last thing you need is hotnuts  :-D

I don't spray my nuts, they are least useful thing in the truck. 

But there is a loose nut between the steering wheel and the gas pedal that needs fixing.

Offline Viau Boys

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 12:42:45 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone, this definitely helped clear up some ideas and concerns in my head.

Matt
Matt Viau
Car #1305, Brampton Michigan's Fastest Brick