Author Topic: classification questions...again.  (Read 7446 times)

Offline Top Secret Z

• New folks
  • Say hello to ma little 305....
Re: classification questions...again.
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 11:11:58 PM »
I'll take a shot at this.  He ran in the SS (street class) in addition to alt since the record was obtainable and he met the , let's say liberal to be politically correct, requirements to run in SS.  He did stick a tag on it but I sure would love to see a state inspector's face when it drives up though!  To be fair though, the SS classes would be pretty boring if only street driven cars were running in them.  I am guessing about 50% of our SS cars have seen the street in recent years.

As far as safety requirements go, you have to meet the safety requirement for the current record in that engine class even if you don't think you can get close to it.

Don't forget that you have to change classes at registration prior to the run and the first change is $50 I believe.  I assume there is a tech inspection associated with the change if the record speed/rules are significantly different.

That didn't really answer the question, but was fun about the inspectors expression...LOL  I actually just drove the car with my son last weekend around Wilmington.  The car really is registered, insured and inspected.....not saying the inspector is a "sticklor" for details though.

I'm not close to breaking any records, just want to find the correct class to run in if I'm not doing the SS thing. As far as the engine class bump, I get that I can move up by reregistering the car for the change but what different classes I can lateral thru is what I'm attempting to clarify for a 3rd Gen Camaro with serious horsepower mods on an uncut/unmodifed body and chassis.

I will be going to next weeks event to nag everybody there too!  I will be running the car again this fall after a few more safety improvments due to the new rules....darn you expensive seat! :-)

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 11:52:44 PM »
If your lights are working, then you could run Gas Coupe.  Then again if you run blown Gas Coupe at Bonneville the records from E-A are all over 264 mph.  You could run altered if you cover the head lights and front grill.  The records are even higher in this class with the exceptions in A and AA engine size, 246 for A and 240 for AA.  BTW that A record should go up this year. :-D  Now Comp Coupe if you add a full belly pan then you could be in this class.  A lot of variables to what class you could run.  Again you would have to build the car for the record in its class.  Good luck.  How much ponies you puttin out? :cheers:

Offline Top Secret Z

• New folks
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 08:52:50 AM »
812hp currently, but plan a slight fuel change and pulley combo to hopefully bump up. I'm pretty glad I stayed with the original cubes (305 cid) so I can run D class. All those A  :-) boys really move! BTW, nice car..for some reason your car really looks good to me, can't imagine why....LOL I love running a car that is close to factory production as possible. This is why I still run the OE 305, T5 transmission and 10 bolt differential.

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 02:34:05 PM »
Brent -

Where ya been, Dude?  I haven't seen you around town. 

One of the toughest parts of LSR is decoding the rule book.  The basic answer to your question is - "Yes, your car is likely eligible for numerous classes".  Variations in the body - really, in the aero - can move you around in the class structure, as well as the fact that you probably qualify for several classes that you can chose at your discretion.  With my Camaro, for example, I can add the flat rear spoiler and front air dam and "PRESTO" - it's a E/CGALT car.  Remove the dam and install a stock Z28 style spoiler (a bit better than nothing)(or no spoiler at all) and it's a E/CPRO.  So I can switch back and forth pretty easily.  As previously noted, belly pans and other mods will move the car around in the class structure, too.

As far as engine mods - pretty much anything goes.  You can run "PRO" as long as the port configuration of the engine matches what could have come in the car from the factory.  I can run my six, a traditional SBC, or a BBC.  All I have to do is declare the actual displacement and select an engine class accordingly.  I CAN'T run a V6 and stay in PRO - it was never offered in that body.  So your 305 is fine.  The blower, however, takes you out of PRO unless you remove it and run in that configuration (been done, btw).  But ANY cam, intake, etc. is OK.  I don't think PRO allows EFI - I run CPRO and I KNOW it does not allow it.  And on it goes.

I look forward to seeing you there!
Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 09:19:15 PM »
BFALT
BGALT

BFMS
BGMS

BFSS

Can I really run under all these variation?

Thanks
BFALT AND BGALT should be ok if you cover the headlights and/or grill as I recall.  You should be able to run BGC as the car is - probably the easiest way to get going.  Can't run in any of the MS categories as it is a 'four-seater'.

BTW I checked out your car at one of the earlier events, nice!  See you next week
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline Top Secret Z

• New folks
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 07:16:55 PM »
Brent -

Where ya been, Dude?  I haven't seen you around town........ look forward to seeing you there!
Dan

Car has been broke, waiting on a too expensive transmission upgrade, but I'm back and will be running the last two events.