Author Topic: End of run speed announcement  (Read 5319 times)

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
End of run speed announcement
« on: June 17, 2009, 04:51:33 PM »
I haven't paid much attention to the radio announcements at Maxton since I was usually participating. I would like to do some finish line video clips at the June meet and record the end of run speed announcements. How are they usually broadcast, vhf, cb or local am broadcast? I want to make sure I have the right radio with me.
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Re: End of run speed announcement
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 05:02:44 PM »
There are PA's throughout the pits and it's broadcast on CB channel 1. Once in a blue moon we switch channels but usually 1 is good.

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 07:39:20 PM »
Thanks Debbie.
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »
The PA system is a bunch of battery-operated CB radios that are put in place by the ECTA staff -- there's no true public address system.  We tried one once, when John Beckett got one donated, but it was a pain in the neck to set up and operate.  So -- everyone turn up your CB radio and we'll all hear Joe's announcements.  He (well, whomever is in the tower) communicates with the officials and the line and shutdown on the VHF FM radios -- and he uses the CB to announce to the crowd.  When he's working in the tower he is using a pair of microphones -- quite entertaining to watch.  I've been the timer a few times -- it's confusing to do, so let's take an extra minute to thank Joe and the other timers for the work they do.

Back to CB radios:  I've just modified my truck Cb a bit, and this next event will be the first test of it.  I've got the thing dashboard mounted, with a speaker mounted above the back seat in the cab of the truck.  And now I've got remote speaker jacks mounted under the hood and inside the cap, in the back, and a speaker with magnet-mount to plug in to either of the jacks.  So -- when we're in line and everyone usually crowds around the driver's window to hear the announcements -- I'll have the speaker attached on the roof of the cab so we can all hear that much better.  And when the truck is parked in the pit -- we'll use the rear jack to have the speaker mounted back there so we can hear the CB from the pit itself.  This is gonna be slick.  Sure hope it works.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline relaxedfit

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 08:38:26 PM »
If anyone has an old cb they are willing to sell (cheap), my handheld died and Joe may not be with us all weekend. It sure would be nice to have one at shutdown---some folks stop to ask about their times, but really I mostly want one.
Ken Presson
Having nothing to do in shutdown is our goal

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 08:41:14 PM »
I probably do -- and I remind you that brand-new ones, at most big truckstops, can be had for $50 or thereabouts.  But Ill dig around and see if I can find one that I'll sell to you for only $45 + tax, shipping, handling, extra markup, and other incidental charges.  Do you have an external antenna?  You'll want one if you expect much from any CB.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Hawk

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 09:55:20 PM »
The PA system is a bunch of battery-operated CB radios that are put in place by the ECTA staff

And btw, Wal-Mart has Cobra CB radios for $39.95 (w/o antenna).  Worked excellent (w/antenna) at the spring meet.   8-)
Hawk
NCR SCCA 2008
"Crew Member of the Year'
http://www.ncrscca.com

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 10:23:04 PM »
Under $80 at most Truck Stops you can get a CB, an antenna and a external speaker.. then all you need is to rig up an extension cord with cig lighter adapter and you have nice Pit P.A. system

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline relaxedfit

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
Thanks guys--I don't get off the chain often. We have a Walmart here...Usually referred to as the Clayton Culture and Arts Center.I'll look there first. Lord forbid you try to buy a RADIO at Radio Shack in Laurinburg.
Later-ken
Ken Presson

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 07:12:14 PM »
I bought a hand-held Radio Shack before the April meet.  Have I remembered to bring it - NO!  I'll try to throw it in for June.  I've been told that it should receive fine but probably won't broadcast - which will be a relief for Joe.

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 09:02:44 PM »
I just ordered a hand held Cobra from Amazon.com. It will be here on Manday...now where did I put those 9 AA batteries it needs for power  :-o

I have an old Cobra CB hard mounted in my truck that I have had since 1979 (the radio)...still works great and a required item to pass tech inspection for SCTA events.
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 09:10:11 PM »
Dan, it'll transmit -- just not very far.  That's a drawback of the little antennas that usually accompany handheld radios.  Thnk of it this way -- you're right it won't broadcast -- but it might narrow cast.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline relaxedfit

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 09:20:29 PM »
Dan, I bought a radio shack handheld that lasted almost 2 seasons and believe it or not, I didn't try to talk with it. I'll bring you what I have left of it--we go through a lot of antennas with the motorola radius handhelds at work. May be a spare one will be of use to you. See everybody next week.
Ken Presson

Offline dwphotos

• New folks
    • DW Photos Online
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 05:27:31 AM »
I got mine on Amazon. Around $35. Works great but it isn't rechargeable. Takes about 9 AA's but they will last all weekend. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-75-785-Handheld-CB-Radio/dp/B00005Q4ZV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1245403243&sr=8-1

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 10:10:56 PM »
I also have the Cobra,,, it uses 9 AA batteries... I put them in for the June 08 meet, used it June 08, Sept 08, Oct 08, April 09 and May 09 with the same batteries...  On the Cobra there are 2 features you need to know about (since we only listen not talk on them) 
1. there is a lock feature that keeps you from bumping it and changing your settings.
2. There is a power save mode that is great for listen only mode...

See you all in 7 days

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com