Author Topic: MR. Sandra Bullock is running at El Mirage tomorrow..  (Read 12505 times)

Offline Gwillard

Re: MR. Sandra Bullock is running at El Mirage tomorrow..
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2009, 08:36:39 PM »
So he's trying break Rick Byrnes 207.279 hydrogen-powered record?   :? :?

Mike

Nah. Rick's 207.279 was powered by a hydrogen fuel cell, similar to the ones we use to power the Buckeye Bullet, in a production based car. JJ's car used a piston engine in a streamliner to get their 199.712.
I say good job guys!
Will weld for beer :cheers:

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2009, 09:52:03 AM »
 jesse james had his own name before meeting his wife.

didn't watch 'apprentice', but his other shows are informative
and fun to watch.

on 'dead man', that arctic trip on a beemer was intense.
i know 15 & 25 degree temps; but -40 w/ wind chills.
i got cold watching the meat locker scene.

he's one smart (&tough) cookie.
and it's so easy to bash from behind a monitor.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2009, 09:58:14 AM »
I agree!  As far as I know, Jesse James and his t.v. programs  ( Monster garage, Motorcycle Mania etc. at least have brought some parts of the automotive enjoyment to millions of people who may not have had the inclinaton to enjoy our various motor sports.  He  (JJ) is an individual and passionate person when it comes to the motor world.   And his name is not, Mr. Bullock.   Crow
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2009, 10:00:17 AM »
This isn't Jesse James first LSR gig... On his old Discovery show, "Monster Garage" he did a jet vehicle on a Vandenburg AFB Runway, Mike Cook did the arrangements then also.

Morning George....
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline Freud

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2009, 10:15:46 AM »
He also did a lakester project that Stainless, John G., and I think Al Teague helped with the building.

It didn't run as fast as he had dreamed.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2009, 10:37:40 AM »
The only bashing is in the title, whose bashing?

Offline jb2

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2009, 10:50:12 AM »
Well, if he is trying to claim fastest Hydrogen powered car he is not there yet.  Hydrogen powered piston driven... okay.

Wheel Driven, hydrogen powered.  BB2 at 280 something in a timed mile. 
He is not as fast as the 999 door slammer on H. 

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2009, 11:24:16 AM »
I'm happy for Jesse and what he is trying to accomplish. I thought all records which are "World" in nature were 2 way but apparently not. I do not know anything about the BMW record with the exception that it was done Sept 20, 2004 in France on a closed course a dual fuel 12 cylinder specifically built car.

What we do with the BNI, SCTA, ECTA, etc: are Club records for specific classes.

I know Jesse has personally admired the 200 MPH club hats and would like to "earn" one and I suspect he will in the future.

Not sure on the bylaws of the El Mirage 2 Club but the Bonneville one can recognize any record set on the Bonneville salt flats which breaks a recognized record from many organizations. There are quite a few who are in the club this way.

If Jesse promotes our sport in a good way I'm all for it. I agree with those who would like them to do it in a way which would not affect hundreds of racers waiting in long lines and private meets are a way to make that happen.  The Cooks have stepped up to fill that gap.

As for "Buying" a hat; Jesse would be in a long line who have done that. It's really the few who have done it toiling many years to accomplish the feat. Every year we see first year guys with money to build/buy a proven car, have a very reputable engine builder, go thru licencing, set a record, get the hat and it's bye-bye forever. Famous drivers have done it too. Some guy named "Bobby something" I believe has a Red Hat.

Jesse has alway thought outside the box; I for one will watch and enjoy what he is doing. The next one will probably be on compressed air. :-D
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

McRat

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2009, 11:38:05 AM »
Perhaps there could be a Hydrogen Race Series.

The trophy is a little statue of the Hindenburg.

:-D

That was a joke, only a joke. :evil:

Running a piston engine off hydrogen seems to be using it as a motor fuel.  Using fuel cells to run an electric car I'd think would be using the hydrogen as a way to store electricity.

PS - Slim, I was not involved with the JJ project at all, but I thought some folk (like me) would be interested in the results, so I posted them.

Offline jl222

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2009, 11:51:06 AM »
I'm happy for Jesse and what he is trying to accomplish. I thought all records which are "World" in nature were 2 way but apparently not. I do not know anything about the BMW record with the exception that it was done Sept 20, 2004 in France on a closed course a dual fuel 12 cylinder specifically built car.

What we do with the BNI, SCTA, ECTA, etc: are Club records for specific classes.

I know Jesse has personally admired the 200 MPH club hats and would like to "earn" one and I suspect he will in the future.

Not sure on the bylaws of the El Mirage 2 Club but the Bonneville one can recognize any record set on the Bonneville salt flats which breaks a recognized record from many organizations. There are quite a few who are in the club this way.

If Jesse promotes our sport in a good way I'm all for it. I agree with those who would like them to do it in a way which would not affect hundreds of racers waiting in long lines and private meets are a way to make that happen.  The Cooks have stepped up to fill that gap.

As for "Buying" a hat; Jesse would be in a long line who have done that. It's really the few who have done it toiling many years to accomplish the feat. Every year we see first year guys with money to build/buy a proven car, have a very reputable engine builder, go thru licencing, set a record, get the hat and it's bye-bye forever. Famous drivers have done it too. Some guy named "Bobby something" I believe has a Red Hat.

Jesse has alway thought outside the box; I for one will watch and enjoy what he is doing. The next one will probably be on compressed air. :-D

It would be a lot easier to set a 2 club record at a private meet than a BNI meet as they don't have to jump through all the safety regulations and can run at their convience :roll:

JL222

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2009, 12:12:19 PM »
JL222 the car meets all of the SCTA/BNI safety requirements. However there is no class for them. They can't get a red hat on private time. They are given a certificate of speed only. It is not a record. He knew going in that it would not be a record. If they decide to run at SW or Cooks Land Speed Events  private meet it will be for time only. I hope that we can see more of this vehicle on the salt. At this time I haven't heard if any future attempts will be made at El Mirage. Again it will not be under SCTA sanction.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2009, 12:21:10 PM »
The only bashing is in the title, whose bashing?

title it is .

i've seen them changed before.
this is on page 3.

i don't have the savvy to do it.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline RichFox

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2009, 12:21:53 PM »
If JJ was to run that car at Speedweek wouldn't it be an AA/FS? Is there any reason that Hydrogen burning piston engines would be in any different class than alcohol burning cars?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2009, 12:33:59 PM »
If so he would have to run on Burklands 417 mph record. I think there is still some issues with hydrogen safety. But that's a subject for another thread.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline RichFox

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2009, 12:43:54 PM »
Is the car blown? I thought he was running on the Nish 377 record. Either way he has some improvement to make. I still think 199, first time out on the dirt is pretty good. I never went 99. 187 or something