Author Topic: Best Wishes and a Speedy Recovery  (Read 15662 times)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: Best Wishes and a Speedy Recovery
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 05:47:02 PM »
My wishes for a speedy and full recovery.....

Mike said there was all kinds of debris that came out of the bags.... spair socks, underwear, motor parts!
kent

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 06:15:13 PM »
Best wishes for a speedy recovery here as well.

Willie, keep us posted when you can, thanks.
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

McRat

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 06:28:15 PM »
OK, that explains a lot.  When the bike started flipping, lots of things came flying off it, maybe 15' in the air, I thought the bike returned to kit form.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 07:11:19 PM »
On the SCTA web site there is a before picture on Bozzies bike. You can see what Noonan is talking about on the rake etc. It's under the 2009  EM results and bikes pictures.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline bak189

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 07:15:58 PM »
Saddlebags is not real the really the problem.....chassis/frame engineering is the real problem...................
In the late 1990's Mike Corbin brought a bike to the salt with bags that he was planning to market, he ran the bike at around 190mph with no problem........took the bags off and ran around 3mph faster................
The point I am trying to make is that it is all about knowing how to build a high speed chassis/frame........
As John N. noted what works a freeway speeds, may not work at LSR speeds......................................
Our best to Richard...

Question authority.....always

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 07:27:11 PM »
Bob,

The comment about the bags was not that it was the primary problem that caused the wreck, it was mentioned that parts were in the bags..if the bike went in to a rear wobble and the parts were loose and not secured it would be dangerous as they could come out and hit him in the head after the wreck started..anyone know how his helmet held up?  Again why would you run saddle bags LSR racing?

Did he free himself with the bike or did he and the bike swap riding positions before they stopped?

Any video..?

J

Offline bak189

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 07:46:17 PM »
Your right John....the bags were not the problem....the chassis/frame were the real problem...................

Willie, knows the bike.....what say you Willie..................................................................................

PS. The picture of the twin engine bike shows it to have the same rake/trail as the crashed "bagger"

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 08:23:46 PM »
..anyone know how his helmet held up? 

Did he free himself with the bike or did he and the bike swap riding positions before they stopped?

J

Info from an eyewitness of the incident- the rider was thrown from the bike (high side) after he and the bike were seen "wobbling". 

An EMT mentioned that the helmet had cracked in half, we didn’t ask his definition of cracked in half, i.e, crack down the center, spilt in two etc.  Both were first person accounts. But, like anything else, take them only as info, not exact.
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 08:25:56 PM »
..anyone know how his helmet held up? 

J

Info from an eyewitness of the incident- the rider was thrown from the bike (high side) after he and the bike were seen "wobbling". 

An EMT mentioned that the helmet had cracked in half, we didn’t ask his definition of cracked in half, i.e, crack down the center, spilt in two etc.  Both were first person accounts. But, like anything else, take them only as info, not exact.

Scott,

Thanks for the information..cracked helmet is scary.. :|

How is John after his "scenic tour" ?

Hope he is OK as well.

Also did you get my email today ..?

John

Offline willieworld

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 09:34:50 PM »
someone on here said that the bike had no trail that is not true--as you can see in the before pics the bike has about 38 degrees of rake with a harley front that equals about 5 to 7 inches of trail --i really dont think that was the problem --i am very familiar with the bike the frame is a very sturdy aftermarket frame ---my guess would be that it is a swing arm bike with everything rubber mounted ---the engine mounts solid to the transmission and the transmission is mounted solid to the swingarm   those three things are rubber mounted to a perimeter frame ---the rear wheel   swingarm    trans and motor are all tied together and can flex quiet a bit as a unit--and i think thats what happened---the tail was wagging the dog--- another thing that may have some effect is the fairing its a harley fairing and designed for a couple overweight yuppies to set behind all dressed in leather it works very well at freeway speeds but i dont think i would run one over 80 mph ( kent would know more about that than i )the only thing i know is what dave has told me richard has a cracked vertebrae and a brain bleed and he is pretty beat up but nothing else broken--as far as all of the experts here why dont you all wait until dave gets the bike back home and i will take pictures and post all of the information that i can instead of spreading rumors --i think that would be the intelligent thing to do  as soon as i hear anything about richard  i will post the information here  ---i think that our main concern for the next couple of days should be richard  ---good news i just talked to dave bozzi and he said the doctors arnt worried about the brain bleed every thing is ok there --now the concern is the swelling in the vertebrae and the surrounding area pinching the spinal cord looks like he will be wearing a neck brace for a few months and tomorrow he will be out of icu into a regular room   until i hear something else     willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline bak189

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
Thanks for the up-date, Willie

Offline Geo

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2009, 09:54:23 PM »
Thanks willie and all for the updates.  Richard is in our thoughts and prayers, get better.  Have a mailing address for cards?

Geo

Offline willieworld

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2009, 10:43:05 PM »
Looked up the address and I am pasting it here. If you would like to send a card please address it as so:
Patient Richard Bozzie
1150 N Indian Canyon Dr
Palm Springs, CA 92262

(760) 323-6251

Thanks for all of you who are concerned. We wish Richard a speedy recovery...
Willie and Sheri Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2009, 11:11:23 PM »
Willie - Thanks for the updates, please continue to keep us informed of Richard's status. Send him our well wishes.

Scott

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2009, 11:40:01 PM »
Someone said that someone said the bike did not have any trail.. 8-)

That was not what was posted..someone said the bike appears to have little on no trail..the bike is raked beyond a safe amount and has no place in LSR in it's current former configuration..We as racers need to point out this type of dangerous behavior to each other and the organization to protect some from themselves.

If several bikes have run over 250 mph safely why not learn from the positive results of  many others rather than learn from the many mistakes of a few?

J