Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1437822 times)

Offline gowing

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #3600 on: April 25, 2020, 12:29:57 PM »
Are you planning on running the bike this year?

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3601 on: April 25, 2020, 12:42:33 PM »
Selling surplus bike parts on E-bay is an ongoing task.  This is a piston that has been sitting in a box on a shelf for 11 years.  I was taking pictures of it for the auction and I saw this on the skirt.  A crack running from 5 to 11 o'clock and another smaller crack going out from it to the right.  Has anyone seen this distress on a new and unused piston?

Is it a forged or cast piston?
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3602 on: April 25, 2020, 03:43:22 PM »
Lockdown is my fate until this virus disappears, I get sick with it, or a vaccine is developed.  How much fun can I have on the salt if I am worried about getting sick and dying?  Dyno work is planned for this summer.

The piston is cast.     

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #3603 on: April 25, 2020, 05:17:23 PM »
WW, just drill three small holes at the ends of the crack and label them racing lubrication ports!  :naughty lol8
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3604 on: April 25, 2020, 06:00:13 PM »
"Is it a forged or cast piston?"

Naa ? it's just junk.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3605 on: May 13, 2020, 10:50:01 AM »
These questions are about the Bay of E.  A set of almost new Bonneville barrels with pistons was put up for auction.  The retail price new was just under $1,000.  They were out to bid for a few weeks and the winning offer was $5.00 plus shipping to their house.  Thew were shipped out to their lucky new owner.  Other items like a crankshaft and swingarm have been on the block for weeks with no offers.  Has the market for used vehicle parts gone away?   Would it be wise to hang onto this stuff for a year or so and relist it?   

Offline desotoman

« Reply #3606 on: May 13, 2020, 12:16:31 PM »
With so many people out of work at this time and  having no idea if they will even be re hired, the market for selling non essential items has disappeared.

A month ago I listed some items on Craigslist cheap just to move. Not one reply for those items. Right now I will wait for a couple of months before I try again.

Hope that helps.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #3607 on: May 13, 2020, 02:33:03 PM »
Has the market for used vehicle parts gone away?   Would it be wise to hang onto this stuff for a year or so and relist it?

Times change. The young have different interests than the old. And it's just not auto racing, it effects most hobbies. The kids don't want high end audiophile equipment?they stream Spotify on their phones. The phone's camera has destroyed the non pro camera market. Vegetarians don't buy meat smokers.

I've been cleaning out the garage. Last week I sent a pickup full of valuable (?) stuff to the dump. And I'm planning to do the same again soon. Sell something for $5.00 isn't worth my time or effort.
Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #3608 on: May 13, 2020, 03:31:43 PM »
... Sell something for $5.00 isn't worth my time or effort.

May I have an Amen! brothers?  :clap

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3609 on: May 13, 2020, 04:20:14 PM »
BS (Beef Stew)... I find if you put it on the curb will a free sign part of it will disappear... but put it out there with $50 price and all of it will disappear... although sometimes you have to wait till in the morning to see that it's gone...  :-o  :roll:
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline salt27

« Reply #3610 on: May 13, 2020, 05:13:39 PM »
I wish the prices of the items I've been watching on E-Bay would come down.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #3611 on: May 13, 2020, 08:37:52 PM »
Maybe you should add a couple rolls of toilet paper?
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3612 on: May 14, 2020, 10:27:12 AM »
Thanks for the advice and the varied viewpoints.  The Bonneville was losing its ability to be a competitive engine in 2006 when I started my build.  Lots of critical custom made performance parts are from the hoards of others who did not toss the things out when logic said they should have.  Almost all of my machine tools and measuring things were gotten for free or next to nothing in price.  Several thousand dollars worth of were pulled from a dumpster by my brother.  It sorta hurts to scrap my parts when I know there are guys like me out there who do not have $$ and can use the stuff.     

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #3613 on: May 14, 2020, 07:40:06 PM »
BS (Beef Stew)... I find if you put it on the curb will a free sign part of it will disappear... but put it out there with $50 price and all of it will disappear... although sometimes you have to wait till in the morning to see that it's gone...  :-o  :roll:
 :cheers:
If I put it at the curb, I'd get a visit from the local police. This ain't Kansas, Oklahoma or Texas  :-)
Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.