Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1437861 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #3390 on: August 03, 2019, 02:55:01 AM »
This is a typical meal before it goes into the oven.  Lots of veggies is the key.  The other foto shows a bowl of soup.  It is almost impossible to stay fat when following the Tuscan guidelines.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3391 on: August 07, 2019, 12:04:17 AM »
Today was the first time to use these fancy and very expensive wire connectors.  They are shown on the video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wh5gM8GM70

Unlike in the video, it takes a very long time with the heat gun to melt the solder ring so it liquifies and flows into the joint.  The shrink tubing melts and vaporizes away before the joint gets hot enough to melt the solder.  Has anyone figured a way to avoid this issue? 

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3392 on: August 07, 2019, 09:57:09 PM »
Today was the first time to use these fancy and very expensive wire connectors.  They are shown on the video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wh5gM8GM70

Unlike in the video, it takes a very long time with the heat gun to melt the solder ring so it liquifies and flows into the joint.  The shrink tubing melts and vaporizes away before the joint gets hot enough to melt the solder.  Has anyone figured a way to avoid this issue?

WW;

I've used solder sleeves before without problems but they were US military surplus ones , not the NTE Chinese (?) ones from Summit. If you heat the sleeve with a heat gun on "medium" heat it should shrink the sleeve, melt the adhesive, and then melt the solder. My key to success was to not use a high concentrated heat. I haven't tried the Summit NTE sleeves, though.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3393 on: August 10, 2019, 11:30:51 AM »
These connectors are made here, as best as I can tell.  There are several different brands.  Grainger sells several of them.  The solder ring shrinks around the wires when heated.  Continued heating melts the ring into the wires.  The rink shrinks down onto the wires.  Then, more heat makes the ring melt completely and the insulation melts, too.  Melting the ring halfway or 3/4 way into the wires, but leaving some of the ring intact around the wires seems to be working.

A guy was shot and killed in a city park within eyesight of my house early this week.  Another fellow was gunned down on the sidewalk three blocks from my house a few days ago.  I heard the shooting.  There were a lot of rounds fired fast in uneven sequence, like more than one shooter.  It seems these were innocent folks like me are the victims who were in the wrong place at the right time.  A lot of the work I am doing is outside on my truck and trailer where I am an easy target.  Its hard to concentrate on fabrication when one has to worry about some clowns walking up and murdering you.  I wish I was at speedweek.  lts crazy around here. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3394 on: August 11, 2019, 01:09:29 AM »
This is a wiring connector with the ring partially melted into the wires.  The insulation is not melted at the lower temperatures that are used to do this.

Experience is showing me that it would have been a good idea to use stainless steel for brackets, etc years ago.  That little extra money spent on metal then would save me a lot of work today.  The new light bracket is stainless steel. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3395 on: August 11, 2019, 01:32:40 AM »
Some parts like the conduit clamps could be purchased in stainless steel.  The rubber parts of the cable clamps were reused and new metal parts were made from stainless steel sheet.

Connectors are watertight and are made by Delphi.  Pins and sockets were crimped onto the wires then soldered to them.  This makes a durable connection.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3396 on: August 11, 2019, 01:35:49 AM »
This is a Delphi connector that is closed up and ready to use.

Dialectric grease was applied to all terminal pins ad sockets.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3397 on: August 11, 2019, 01:42:13 AM »
A galvanic cell is created between metals of differing galvanic potential in an electrolyte like salt water.  This results in corrosion of one metal and the deposition of its corrosion salts onto the other metal.  Blue Loctite is used on connections between different metals.  It fills the voids within the threaded section and it prevents the entrance of electrolyte.  This eliminates galvanic based corrosion.  This is a connection between a stainless steel cable clamp and screw and a carbon steel frame.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3398 on: August 13, 2019, 11:01:22 AM »
Products are shown and mentioned here.  They are not necessarily the best.  Comparison testing is not done.  They are what I am using and nothing more.

The wiring harness is made longer than needed and it is doubled over at the connections.  This way, the connectors are not stressed if the harness is pulled.  Also there is some added harness length.  This might be handy in the future if the trailer is modified or something is added that requires a longer harness.

There is a big performance difference between the common electrical tape in the home improvement stores and professional quality tape.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3399 on: August 13, 2019, 11:09:01 AM »
Newer wire coverings make harness building easier.  The harness can be assembled fitted, and adjusted before the wires are covered.  This could not be done with the old style coverings.

This is Techflex Flexo Overexpanded.  It is smaller diameter than the end connector.  It expands like a boa constrictor and can be moved over the large connector to go into its final location in another part of the harness.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3400 on: August 13, 2019, 11:10:42 AM »
WW;

3M electrical tape 33+ is good stuff.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3401 on: August 13, 2019, 11:15:04 AM »
WW;

I used similar woven sheath for my wiring harness, too. Mine was made by Thermofit. It makes adding or removing additional wires later an easy task. Looks neater, too.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3402 on: August 13, 2019, 11:39:29 AM »
There is an older fellow in town who has a small electronics supply store.  I select the old school stuff and bring it up to the counter to buy.  He shows me the new age things that work better.  Guys like him in little electronics stores are hard to find these days.

This is a thick wrap that can be opened up to fit over the wires and it closes again.  It is Techflex Grip Wrap.  Wires subject to abrasion like the lead connecting the trailer to the truck are wrapped with this and covered with the overexpanded mesh wrap.

The wood deck is held down by stainless steel carriage bolts.  Almost always the bolt spins with the nut when they need to be unscrewed after years of use.  The square hole in the wood no longer is able to restrain the bolt from twisting.  The bolt heads are slotted prior to installation as a pre-emptive measure.  That way a screwdriver can be used to keep them from turning upon removal.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3403 on: August 13, 2019, 11:46:35 AM »
The bolt heads are slotted by the chop saw using this fixture.  It is a piece of channel with a hole drilled in it.  The bolt is put through the hole and a nut is put on the exposed end and it is tightened up against the channel.  The bolt cannot move while the slot is cut.

The trailer is done.  It will be taken down from the blocks and be hitched up to Rose's truck.  The street bike, EZ-UP, and loading ramp will be tied on and I will drive up to Beaverton to pick up the race tires for use at B-ville next year.  This is a practice run to see if the trailer works OK.     

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3404 on: August 19, 2019, 01:34:59 AM »
The battlax tires have worked great in the past.  There was a set of model 023 tires on the bike and it is time for some new ones.  These are T31, the best that I could find, and they supersede the 023's.  They are (W) rated for over 169 mph and steel belted.  Those strong belts might hold the tire together if something bad happens to it during a run, is my thought.