Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438035 times)

Offline Koncretekid

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #3375 on: April 19, 2019, 09:39:45 AM »
Life's uncertain; eat dessert first and go fast now!  Get better soon, Bo!

It is a wonder that so many of us have survived this long when we think of all the stupid stuff we've done.  Washing parts off in gasoline, riding without helmets,  grinding and cutting without safety glasses, weld flashes, no hearing protection, no hard hats on the job, hanging off ladders and trees, dui, and did I mention driving way too fast?

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3376 on: April 21, 2019, 07:26:48 AM »
Life's uncertain; eat dessert first and go fast now!  Get better soon, Bo!

It is a wonder that so many of us have survived this long when we think of all the stupid stuff we've done.  Washing parts off in gasoline, riding without helmets,  grinding and cutting without safety glasses, weld flashes, no hearing protection, no hard hats on the job, hanging off ladders and trees, dui, and did I mention driving way too fast?

Tom

Bo,

Get well soon!!

Tom,

If we all live "sensibly" what will we do for "fun"? ? ? ?

:cheers:  guys
Mark
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #3377 on: April 21, 2019, 08:50:58 AM »
About a couple of weeks ago I looked for something in the top drawer of a tall roll-around tool box.  Then I looked in the bottom drawer for something else and stood up and hit my head against the bottom of the top drawer.  A day or two later I was having a hard time focusing on a weld at about 11:30 AM.  Then I took the dog for a walk in the park at noon.  One eye was starting to go blind.  Immediately I went to the eye doctor.  It is a delaminated retina and they did surgery two days later.  Part of the process was draining the goo outta the eyeball and going inside with lasers.  Then the orb was filled with nitrous oxide.

One eyed welding is awful.  All I can do now is to tack things together.  The gas inside the eye messes up the focus and I cannot run a decent bead.  Now the eye is half full of water and I can see fine through it.  It is like being a frog with half the vision below water and the other half above.  The eye is getting better and maybe it will be back to normal in a week or so.       

Bo, from one retina separation sufferer to another, it ain't no fun. I had that gas proceedure too and was supposed to keep my head tilted so the bubble could put pressure on the damaged area. I felt like a walking bubble level. Again, no fun. Prior to the separation, I had both retinas welded more times than it took to build my car. I asked the doc if blows to the head (I had several really bad ones) caused the detachment. He said no, I just have thin retinas. Who knows when it will happen again. I feel for you, man.

John

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3378 on: April 22, 2019, 10:57:46 AM »
Thanks for the kind thoughts.  Now I am back to abnormal.  The doc did more tests and an x-ray.  The excess iron in my blood is due to drinking too much beer.  A respirator is a good thing to wear while grinding and welding.  A simple mask is not good enough according to folks who know about the subject.  This is what was recommended.  The filters have activated charcoal inside them and they last about a month under normal use.  The big mistake people make with these is using the same set of filters for everything.  The filters on the example shown here are for particulates.  Different one are needed for other things such as paint fumes.       

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3379 on: April 23, 2019, 11:45:03 PM »
Some stainless steel nuts and bolts were drilled with holes for safety wire this afternoon.  Normally I use some sort of fancy machinist's oil to lube the drill bit.  I was too lazy to look for it and I grabbed the nearest thing that might do the job.  It was Dri Slide Bike-Aid Dry Moly Lubricant.  www.drislide.com  The stuff works very well and better than the machinist's oil.  The little 4 oz bottle I bought years ago cost $20.69 so the oil is not cheap.  It probably paid for itself in the number of drill bits I did not dull or break.     

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3380 on: April 29, 2019, 12:39:45 AM »
The trailer was put together in its rusty state to see how everything fit.  There are some minor changes I need to make.  The parts are at the sandblaster for rust removal.  Then they will be painted and the trailer will be put back together.  The truck has lots of little problems and corrosion from years of towing the bike to and from the lake and driving on the salt.  Also, there is wear and tear from that crazy trip to the east coast.  This take a lot of time, money, and patience to fix.  All of this work is keeping me from building the race bike.  It looks like the bike will be on the salt in 2020.  There is too much for me to do to race it this year.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3381 on: July 03, 2019, 01:33:12 AM »
A lot of paint systems and powder coatings have been tried over the years.  This is what has evolved to be the current method 'cause it works best.

The trailer frame had lots of rust and it was sandblasted.  Not all of the rust could be removed.  Some remained in the deeper pits.   This treatment was used to chemically neutralize the remaining rust.  There are many brands of treatment available that do similar work.  This stuff is the easiest to use and it gives the best results of the different products I have tried.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3382 on: July 03, 2019, 01:38:57 AM »
The product is applied as per directions on the bottle.  The frame is covered with this nasty looking surface.  This is what is desired.  The can contains what will be used for the first coat of paint.  This stuff makes a hard and durable surface.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3383 on: July 03, 2019, 01:47:30 AM »
The frame is painted black.  These big Q-tips are used to paint the insides of the holes in the frame where a brush does not fit.  They are made for cleaning the insides of dog's ears and they are available at pet stores.
Acetone is used to clean the brush.  The paint does not keep well and it starts to harden quickly.  Two tablespoons are poured into a Dixie Cup and I quickly shut the can.  The small amount in the cup is brushed on until the cup is empty.  The cup is tossed into the trash and the process is repeated. 

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3384 on: July 03, 2019, 03:31:32 PM »
Some stainless steel nuts and bolts were drilled with holes for safety wire this afternoon.  Normally I use some sort of fancy machinist's oil to lube the drill bit.  I was too lazy to look for it and I grabbed the nearest thing that might do the job.  It was Dri Slide Bike-Aid Dry Moly Lubricant.  www.drislide.com  The stuff works very well and better than the machinist's oil.  The little 4 oz bottle I bought years ago cost $20.69 so the oil is not cheap.  It probably paid for itself in the number of drill bits I did not dull or break.   

WW;

When the M16 rifle was first introduced in Vietnam, they had a bad tendency to jam. It was found that Dri-Slide was the trick to keeping an M16 functioning in that environment. Since GIs couldn't get it through their regular supply channels, the Dri-Slide company shipped cases of it to the troops in Vietnam free of charge!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3385 on: July 09, 2019, 02:02:24 AM »
The USMC sleeping bags were "upgraded" recently to a poor design that does not keep the soldier warm like the old ones did.  Tomorrow my uncle's WWII down paratrooper's bag will be sent to one of my boys so he has a warm place to sleep.

The undercoat comes in different colors.  Gloss black and grey are what I use with the first coat being black and the second coat grey.  This helps to see if the second coat has full coverage.  This is hard to tell if both coats have the same color.

The grey undercoat was brushed on with full coverage.  The black spots are where the paint receded.  This is sorta like what happens when water beads on glass.  This is a very annoying aspect of this paint.  Two undercoats are needed to get full coverage.  Phosphate treatment, black undercoat, grey undercoat, first topcoat, second topcoat, and third topcoat are what I do in that order.  The paint from one coat dries overnight  before the subsequent coat is applied.  The paint is sanded between coats If I feel energetic.

A mask with filters for organic fumes is necessary. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3386 on: July 09, 2019, 02:09:21 AM »
The parts are hung outside for a few days.  This keeps the fumes from the drying paint out of the shed.  This is important if a person will be working in the shed without a respirator.  Breathing low level fumes for a long time when the parts are drying can be just as bad as not using a mask during painting.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3387 on: July 09, 2019, 08:06:16 PM »
An earlier post mentions that two tablespoons of paint are poured into a Dixie cup and applied.  Then the empty cup is tossed and another filled and painting resumes.  The brush is completely cleaned at each cup refill.  The tendency of this paint to quickly set up and lose viscosity makes me hesitate to try to spray it.

The brush is cleaned in acetone.  There is a lot of exposure to this chemical during a painting session.  Acetone goes right through common latex and nitrile gloves.  Butyl gloves are needed.     

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3388 on: July 09, 2019, 09:09:19 PM »
WW;

Down sleeping bags and parkas are great in a cold dry climate. If it rains and they get wet, the down turns into a wet goo with no insulating value at all. Something like a HolloFill filling is much better.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3389 on: August 03, 2019, 02:50:08 AM »
Thanks for the advice about the down bag.  It probably will be used for family camping trips where it will be dry.

A skinnier me is lighter and more aerodynamic and this means more speed.  My weight was between 205 and 215 pounds.  Now it is in the 160's and I am able to keep from gaining it back.  This is what I do.  The entire plan is on the back of a street map used in Florence Italy so I could find my way around town.  It shows the Tuscan version of the food pyramid and it is a lot different than the American one.  Florence is in Tuscany.

The title says "Eat Well, Eat Healthy, Eat Tuscan."

Food Group 6 at the top is "Meat, Cold Cuts, Desserts"  Group 5 is "Cheese, Eggs, Potatoes."  Group 4 is "Fish, Poultry."  Group 3 is "Legumes, Dried Fruit, Milk."  Group 2 is "Cereal, Extra Virgin Olive Oil."  Group 1 is "Fruit, Vegetables."

Under the pyramid it says "Six steps to a healthy and balanced diet.  The PAT - Tuscan Diet Pyramid suggests a few sure-fire steps:  consume all food without any exclusions.  Most often those at the bottom that represent the basis of our diet.  More rarely those expensive foods at the top.  Wine with meals in moderation.  And at the base of everything, water for drinking and physical activity.  With some care and lots of flavor, hearth is served."