Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438106 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #3360 on: March 29, 2019, 11:15:02 PM »
This is the sleeve that the hub grease seal rubs on.  The seals wear grooves in these after lots of miles and they do not seal well after that.  These sleeves are a press fit and can be replaced as needed.

There can be water in the lake at Bonneville.  These are bearing buddies.  They have a spring loaded diaphragm so there is positive pressure on the grease and this keeps water from entering the hub when it is submerged.  Usually I squirt in some extra grease in the hubs at camp in the morning before going out onto the lake if there is water in it.  This makes sure there is positive internal pressure.  This is standard operating practice for a boat trailer.  These bearing buddies are made in the US.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3361 on: March 29, 2019, 11:27:04 PM »
In rare cases the bearing buddies will fall off if the road is real rough.  A band of duck tape around the buddy is used to prevent this.  The black cover is a bearing buddy bra.  It keeps water and dirt out of the buddy.

The new tires are taller than the old ones.  The new axle is thicker than the previous one.  The new spring packs have added leaf.  The bottom of the bike rail is thicker.  All of this raises the rail surface 1.25 inches.  It was hard to push the bike up onto the trailer before and the added height will make it impossible.  The springs sat on top of the axle before.  The axle will sit on top of the springs now.  This will lower the rail about an inch and a half from where it was previously.  It will be easier to push the bike on and off. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3362 on: April 03, 2019, 12:53:39 AM »
This black POR 15 coating works better than any paint I have used.  It also lasts much longer than any locally applied powder coat.  The spring and axle assembly shown in the previous post is painted with it.  The stuff is pretty toxic and I am afraid to spray it.  The ventilation and safety gear around here is third world.  It is brushed on.  All is covered by clear coat to provide ultraviolet radiation resistance.  This is from a spray can and it is top professional grade stuff from an auto paint store.

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #3363 on: April 03, 2019, 08:49:44 PM »
Looking real good.............but maybe place some tape over the open slots in the square tube before your travel on the salt :wink:
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3364 on: April 04, 2019, 11:28:22 PM »
Dennis, the axle will be turned over so salt will not collect in it.  I am glad you saw this.  I did not think about it.  This is a link to the galvanic scale.    https://www.corrosion-doctors.org/Definitions/galvanic-series.htm

Local corrosion of mild steel clamped by stainless steel fasteners, in the presence of salt water electrolyte, is a problem.  The stainless steel is a more noble metal than steel.  The galvanic action corrodes the less noble mild steel.  Painting the bolts and nuts to prevent contact with the electrolyte is a solution.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3365 on: April 04, 2019, 11:33:11 PM »
Magnesium or aluminum are less noble than either stainless steel or carbon steel.  It is easy to make nice thick washers out of plate with a hole saw.  Putting a "sacrificial" washer between the stainless items and the carbon steel is the idea.  It will corrode rather than the two other more noble metals and it is easily monitored and replaced.  Any thoughts about this?   

Offline salt27

« Reply #3366 on: April 05, 2019, 01:44:19 AM »
Bo, I have had good luck with "Zink-It" cold galvanizing paint (93% zink).

Basically painting on an anode.

It can be used as a primer.

Don

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #3367 on: April 05, 2019, 08:40:52 AM »
Bo,
With the “square holes” on the bottom of the axle they have significantly cut into the material on the “tension” side of the beam and provided multiple stress concentration locations.
Is this the orientation that the axle was intended/designed for?

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3368 on: April 05, 2019, 11:02:39 AM »
The original K-mart axle worked OK and it was a "U" shaped channel 1.5 inches tall and 1.25 inches wide.  Two 2000# spindles with 1" wide round ends were welded into it.  It worked OK from a bending strength perspective for over 30 years.  The wall thickness was 1/8 inches.

The 3500# spindles are used for the purpose of upgrading the bearings.  The trailer will continue to have a 2000# gross weight limit.  The 3500# spindles had 1.5 inch wide square ends that fit inside 2" square tubing with 1/4 inch walls.  That axle was massively heavy.  Some beam loading calculations said that the tube could be lightened and still have the strength of the original axle.  So, it was hacked up with a Sawzall to the configuration shown.

Thanks for the suggestion about the galvanized paint.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3369 on: April 06, 2019, 12:48:23 AM »
This is sorta interesting.  I never met this guy when I was there.https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-47814044

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3370 on: April 06, 2019, 01:08:36 AM »

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3371 on: April 08, 2019, 12:38:53 AM »
About a couple of weeks ago I looked for something in the top drawer of a tall roll-around tool box.  Then I looked in the bottom drawer for something else and stood up and hit my head against the bottom of the top drawer.  A day or two later I was having a hard time focusing on a weld at about 11:30 AM.  Then I took the dog for a walk in the park at noon.  One eye was starting to go blind.  Immediately I went to the eye doctor.  It is a delaminated retina and they did surgery two days later.  Part of the process was draining the goo outta the eyeball and going inside with lasers.  Then the orb was filled with nitrous oxide.

One eyed welding is awful.  All I can do now is to tack things together.  The gas inside the eye messes up the focus and I cannot run a decent bead.  Now the eye is half full of water and I can see fine through it.  It is like being a frog with half the vision below water and the other half above.  The eye is getting better and maybe it will be back to normal in a week or so.       

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3372 on: April 17, 2019, 12:15:49 AM »
The surgery worked and now I can see out of both eyes.  The pupil on the surgery eye is dilated by some medicine and I cannot weld until it returns to normal size in a week or so.

The eye delamination might have saved me from some serious medical issues.  It got me out of the shop.  I was not feeling well lately and the doc did some blood tests.  The iron level in my blood is alarmingly high.  There is the possibility I might have gotten this from the metal dust during the fabrication this winter.  The shop was not ventilated very well.  Tomorrow some chest x-rays will be done to see if I am full of metal.

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #3373 on: April 18, 2019, 04:48:40 PM »
Bo.....Take care of yourself :-o    You may have sent a message to all of us about 'shop-safety' :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3374 on: April 19, 2019, 12:22:41 AM »
Iron can be absorbed into the bloodstream by way of the lungs.  I was using a disc sander to remove rust and mill scale from lots of things as well as making new parts.  Now I wear a mask with air filter cartridges.