Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438642 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #3330 on: February 24, 2019, 01:34:49 PM »
Progress was being made.  This morning there was a bang sound while I was welding and then there was no power to the welder.  The circuit breaker was tripped.  Power to the outlet resumed after it was reset.  The welder has a reset button on it and pushing it would not restore power to the welder.  It appears there is something wrong inside the welder.

The welder is a millermatic 211 running on 240 volts.  It is right near its capacity to do this aluminum work.  The duty cycle has not been exceeded.  The welds are a few inches long and some cooling time is provided between the welding.

The project is 1/3 done and lots more welding is in the near future.  There are two things I might do.  One is to get the welder fixed as needed and to continue to use it.  Another is to get it fixed and send it to one of my boys and to upgrade welders.  The least expensive upgrade is to a Miller 212.  It would be nice to get an opinion from you'all before the welder salesman talks to me tomorrow.

The 212 suggested retail is $2205.  The fancy MIG pulse welder is $2745. Maybe the $500 is worth the extra ability?  I do not know.     

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3331 on: February 24, 2019, 01:43:19 PM »
WW;

Everything I weld is with a torch so I'm not the person to give advice.  :-)

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #3332 on: February 24, 2019, 02:07:01 PM »
WW,
I am VERY biased on this subject. Buy a TIG!!! If you can gas weld you can TIG. Get rid of the "mud gun", I know that that there are many race cars built with MIG welders but get a TIG, learn to use it and enjoy the extra quality of your welding.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3333 on: February 24, 2019, 02:30:03 PM »
My close-in depth perception and fine motor coordination are flaky.  Some effort was made to learn to TIG weld with no good results.  MIG seems to work for me.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3334 on: February 24, 2019, 06:15:53 PM »
I tend to agree with Rex with the caveat that the sort of thing he's attempting to do right now would best be done with a water cooled torch which adds significantly to the expense. You can never go wrong with a bigger welding machine. I think practice would make a tig work well for you. It's not a skill to be learned in an afternoon. If you really feel you want to stick with the mig go with a stronger machine and make sure you have adequate power to run it.

Pete

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3335 on: February 24, 2019, 08:47:33 PM »
Yep I agree with PJ... I've practiced TIG for 30 years and occasionally I can make a good looking weld...  :roll:

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3336 on: February 25, 2019, 01:06:55 PM »
The MIG is making good welds when I take the time to do some practice welds to get the correct settings.  Maybe after I fully understand MIG I will try to learn TIG.

The Miller 211 is an inexpensive hobby type welder.  The aluminum welding was right at or near its capacity.  It is in the shop on a warranty claim and it will go to one of my boys when it is fixed.  The local welding supply gave me a very good deal on a Miller 212 with spool gun.  It was their floor display model and they gave me a snowy day discount.  Today the ramp welding will be finished.

The 211 welder was plugged into the most remote outlet in the system.  There might be a voltage drop there under the heavy current demands of welding.  If so, the current would be higher to supply the desired wattage.  This extra current might be what blew up the welder, is my best guess.  The 212 will be plugged into a much less remote outlet.  There will be less voltage drop and a reduced need for current.     . 

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3337 on: February 25, 2019, 01:16:24 PM »
Good luck Bo. You're definitely on the right track.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3338 on: February 28, 2019, 11:31:06 AM »
The ramp is done.  Butt joints are problematic.  It was redesigned so that all joints are lap. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3339 on: March 01, 2019, 12:57:01 PM »
This is the loading ramp on the parlor floor.  The middle is resting on the wood.  The ends are higher and the closepins under them show this.  The ramp warped when the cross braces were installed.  This is no problem for the ramp.

The second picture shows the rail that will go on the trailer.  It is in its jig and ready to be welded.  It would be a problem if it warped upward like the loading ramp.  A small amount of warpage is OK.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3340 on: March 01, 2019, 01:03:23 PM »
This is setup #1.  The middle of the ramp is held up by an unplanned block of wood 2 inches thick.  The ramp is held flat in its jig.

The next picture shows setup #2.  The middle of the ramp is tightened down on a planed wood piece and it is 1.5 inches thick.  The ramp has a reverse curvature from the direction it will warp.  The intent is to preload it so it will be straighter when it is removed from the jig.  Any recommendations about this are welcome.  It is time to take a break and go down to the local for a pint and sandwich.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3341 on: March 01, 2019, 03:30:59 PM »
That's a never ending battle Bo. A preset helps some and if you were doing the same job over and over you could probably get it sorted but for most of us we learn to do a little post welding work to get things totally straight. Tig is a little easier to control. Moving around on the project can also help some.

Pete

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3342 on: March 03, 2019, 03:18:49 PM »
What an awful day it is.  The cross braces were welded on.  Then the rail was uncinched from the planks.  I was hoping the preload wold counteract the weld shrinkage and the part would be sorta straight after it was untied.  Unfortunately I had the preload going the wrong way.  Now the rascal had a lot of arch.  Like an inch and a half in the middle.

Yesterday the Triumph club met for breakfast.  My buddies got into a discussion about how to make some toe-in on a trailer axle.  Laying some weld beads on the side of the axle to shrink one side was mentioned.  Now I am welding some beads on each side of the flange at 6-inch intervals to shrink it and to straighten the rail.  It seems to be working.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3343 on: March 03, 2019, 11:40:19 PM »
Bo, how was it with the bike on the ramp... after all, that is what it is for right....  If it works that is all that matters.... roll the bike on it... if it works, go have another pint... if  not, go have a pint and think about what you need to  do  :-D
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3344 on: March 03, 2019, 11:59:04 PM »
The ramp is done.  The middle is a half inch higher than the ends when it is laid on a flat surface.  It is OK for a ramp and it is plenty strong.  The rail on the trailer is what I am working on.  The bike sits on it after it is loaded.  The rail is straight now.  Tomorrow I will post what I did to make that happen.

The goal was to make decent welds during the ramp build.  That was figured out.  Now the objective with the rail is to figure out how to deal with warp and shrinkage.  This is a learning project.  Maybe someday I will build a frame and swingarm.

There is no shortage of pints.  There are eleven breweries in this dinky town.