Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438668 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #3195 on: October 26, 2018, 11:45:30 AM »
I'll second RR's comment!!!  :-o :-o :-o
There are a lot of pretty scary rigs out on the road.

Pete

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3196 on: October 27, 2018, 09:47:33 AM »
Tomorrow I drive north through Los Angeles.  Some trailer axle parts might be bought there so I do not need to pay for shipping to Oregon.  The trailer axle spindles will be upgraded to #84 size.  The inside ends of the spindles will be square shaped and 1.75 inch by 1.75 inch.  They will fit inside an axle made if 2.00 by 2.00 square tubing with 1.25 wall thickness.

The spindles are carbon steel.  The axle tube will be 300 series stainless steel, preferably.   Is there a problem with GMAW welding carbon steel spindles into a stainless steel axle?

Not a world champion welder but if you could tig weld those parts you could use special arc rods for the dissimilar metals. Just remove the flux and polish the rods. Great filler material.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3197 on: October 30, 2018, 02:54:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  A local welding supply can order those mixed metal rods.  My depth perception wearing a welding helmet is not good enough for TIG so I figgered out a different approach.  The axle will be made out of 2-inch 1.2 wall thickness square stainless with stainless plates welded on each end.  The spindles will be #84 size made from carbon steel with plates on their inside ends.  The spindles will be bolted to the axle with their centerlines 1.5 inches above the axle centerline.  This makes a drop axle so I can use bigger tires.  New 5-lug rims will replace the 4-lug ones.  Larger Carlisle USA Trail american made tires will be used.  In fact, everything used will be made here.  This will lower the tire rotational speed and maintain the same trailer deck height.  The spindle to axle joints will be dissimilar metals bolted together rather than welded.

The town I am in is Placerville California.  It was a gold rush town in the 1850's.  John Studebaker came out west to mine gold.  That was problematic so he learned how to build high quality wheelbarrows.  The miners liked them.  He moved back to Indiana and started the wagon and carriage business that evolved to the car factory.  This was the 70th year for the "John Studebaker International Wheelbarrow Race"     

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3198 on: October 31, 2018, 12:37:36 AM »
Bo, I bought spectacles much stronger than I need.
Those I use only for Tig. Like a magnifying glass for welding. :-D
I try not looking around at other stuff after.
It's an age thing. When I had my eyes tested I was whining about
the PC ruining my eyesight. The optician said No it's your age!!!!.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3199 on: October 31, 2018, 09:29:08 AM »
Bo, I bought spectacles much stronger than I need.
Those I use only for Tig. Like a magnifying glass for welding. :-D
I try not looking around at other stuff after.

Yep, me too... I have a dollar store set of 3.0 I use only to weld.  Broke one side at the cheap hinge, so I used a little epoxy to fix it, had some left so I epoxied the other side to keep it from breaking. 
Yea, I should just go to the dollar store and get another pair  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #3200 on: October 31, 2018, 09:32:22 AM »
What................

Why has nobody ever told me that if I get some stronger glasses I will be able to weld? I thought it was complete lack of skill causing the variability.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3201 on: November 01, 2018, 02:15:17 AM »
The Miller welding helmet I have has a magnifying lens.  That helps a lot.  The problem with one dominant eye for close-up work is the lack of parallax input from two eyes to give good depth perception.  Fortunately someone invented MIG welding.  It is something I can sort of do.

Tomorrow I will be home.  It has been a long trip.  The Mexican border in all states, the Atlantic Ocean at Assateague Island in Virginia, the Pacific Ocean at San Diego, Lake Michigan at Indiana Dunes, and all sorts of places in-between.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #3202 on: November 01, 2018, 07:26:36 AM »
     Trailer plans look good from here, hope they all work out well for you.  I like your thoughts on keeping the center of gravity low, everything in good combination helps stave off unwanted incidents and white knuckle tows.

Ed

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #3203 on: November 01, 2018, 07:50:25 PM »
John  McKichan used (I think late 60's early 70's) AMC front spindles on the trailer he built for the liner. They were readily available then but might be a little tough to find now. They bolted on with 4 bolts. One advantage was you could carry a spare spindle and hub, 5x4.5 pattern. We smoked a bearing one trip and it only took about 20 minutes to change it.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3204 on: November 02, 2018, 07:01:56 PM »
Thanks for that idea.  It makes sense to carry a spare spindle and hub along with a spare tire and wheel.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3205 on: November 03, 2018, 11:35:53 PM »
This is a picture my son sent me this afternoon.  This is from a Triumph Bonneville.  It shows the spark voltage during the compression stroke on the left and the waste spark during the intake/exhaust stroke on the right.  It takes more voltage to jump the gap during the comp stroke.  This makes the higher spike.  A cylinder that cannot compress makes a lower spike.  He uses the scope for quick detection of suspected dead cylinders.  It takes a fraction of the time that would be needed to use a compression gauge. 

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3206 on: November 04, 2018, 12:24:53 PM »
WW;

Interesting display, it is the same type waveform that I used to see on an old surplus Bendix aircraft ignition analyzer that I bought years ago. It came with a manual that explained the waveforms so I learned something about what it was telling me.

The initial voltage spike happens before the plug fires, once the gas (fuel vapor/air) between the electrodes is ionized, which takes a few microseconds, the spark jumps the gap and conducts current. This causes the voltage to fall and it is fairly constant until the spark goes out and the gas is de-ionized. Since there is no current through the plug the voltage jumps up and then decays until the next firing.

A high pressure causes the gas to be harder to ionize so it takes a higher voltage as you pointed out. Once the plug fires it shows that the discharge also occurs at a higher voltage in the pressurized cylinder.

The Bendix manual also showed the effects of a bad condenser in a points ignition. The tail of the waveform showed a large ringing that gradually died out.

A 'scope is a very useful instrument for diagnosing ignition problems.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3207 on: November 04, 2018, 11:54:02 PM »
There is a little paddle shaped sensor thing for his scope.  It can get a trace of a wire it is near without touching it.  He says this is great for finding intermittent faults.  He says pulling wires or moving them to hook up a multi tester can alter the system's behavior so it is different than it was when the customer brought the car into the shop.  He likes to "scope out" undisturbed wiring. 

Josef signed up for the Marines when he graduated from high skool.  His MOS is heavy machine gunner.  Then he worked up through the ranks to be a mid level sergeant.  Now he is applying to the program to become an officer.  This means he needs to get a college degree.  His goal is to get a degree in electrical engineering.  He was taking an on-line advanced engineering statistics course when I was visiting him.  In addition, he had to run up and down a mountain and lift ammunition cans to stay in shape for some periodic physical exam, take care of his troops and family, prepare for a deployment to Okinawa, and goof around with his father.  He was a very busy guy.       

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #3208 on: November 05, 2018, 09:25:44 AM »
Hmmmm, sounds a little like someone else we know!   :-o :-D
Looks like you taught him well!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3209 on: November 07, 2018, 10:59:03 AM »
No credit goes to me.  He left home as a skinny kid with long greasy hair, a D grade average in high school, and his main skill was breaking skateboards.  The Marine Corps worked wonders.

The problem with road trips is they end and it is time to get back to business.  Leaves are inches deep in the yard and firewood needs to be stacked, chimney cleaned, etc.  Rose is in the UK for a visit so I can "spread out" bike manuals, printouts and stuff over the kitchen table.  And leave it there.  Calibrating the Dynomation computer model to match measured dyno data is the first task.