Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1437813 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #3180 on: September 27, 2018, 09:27:27 PM »
Bikes like mine that do not go 175 mph use a five mile course with two miles to get up to speed, a timed mile, and two miles to slow down.  We can run on either the 5-mile long mountain course or the longer international course.  Usually I can pick a course if the FIM has qualified it.  A day with side winds will make me choose a course with less to hit if I get blown off of it.  Also, some courses are in better shape than others.  Naturally, the best one is chosen.

Thanks for posting all of those graphs and other info.  This is a big help.  It gives me something to think about when I get back home.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3181 on: September 27, 2018, 09:50:57 PM »
This morning I drove east across Assateague Island and this is what I saw.  The Atlantic Ocean.  The end of the road for WW.  Now it is time to turn around and head west. 

Offline Frank06

« Reply #3182 on: September 28, 2018, 12:41:15 PM »
Bikes like mine that do not go 175 mph use a five mile course with two miles to get up to speed...

Thanks for clarifying.  I was curious because with more run-up optimum shift points will (presumably) be less important, except for perhaps the last one...  Logging speed is the only way to tell for sure if you're still accelerating.

Have a safe trip home!
E-Racer

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3183 on: October 07, 2018, 08:13:48 PM »
This is a movie my son and I watched a few minutes ago.  It has footage of the race on Pendine Sands.  The red haired fellow that rides their bikes was very helpful when planning the trip to the UK for the race.  The title is "Salt Bike: a year with the Baron"   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3184 on: October 09, 2018, 07:02:36 PM »
Tomorrow I leave Indiana and go to San Clemente to see more grandkids.  Note the descriptive highway sign.  This is a Route 66 shirt I bought.  It does not say that.  Maybe this is the road I am on.   

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3185 on: October 11, 2018, 01:31:48 AM »
Enjoy the trip Bo.
God knows you deserve it.
Thanks for all the posts.
You always keep me coming back for more. :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3186 on: October 11, 2018, 08:07:10 AM »
Seeing Chicago was a goal.  A plan was figured out after discussion with my family in Indiana.  We drove up to the overlook at Indiana Dunes.  In front of us was Lake Michigan, to the left was a steel mill in Gary, and to the right was another mill in Michigan City.  Across the lake to the left was Chi-town.  I got a good look at it through some bird watching binoculars.  All was done from a safe distance and without driving through the south side during rush hour.  That is one huge lake.

The normal operating procedure is to use the computer to figure out a day's drive between 225 and 275 miles on the freeway.  That gives me the end point for the day.  America is pretty much the same in towns along the major highways so there is no adventure there.  So, the drive to the end is done on one and two lane roads.  Regional differences are seen there.  Planning is for nerds so I limited it to scheduling the dyno session, only.  Everything else is on the day-to-day basis.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #3187 on: October 11, 2018, 09:57:22 AM »
WW, it's always more interesting just following your nose and yakking with the locals!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Frank06

« Reply #3188 on: October 11, 2018, 05:50:33 PM »
Yup.  The adventures always happen on the side roads.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

E-Racer

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3189 on: October 12, 2018, 10:48:30 AM »
The afternoon the day before yesterday the St Louie public works guys were raising the flood walls around the city.  Lots of birds are flying overhead going south.  It is time to move fast in a southwest direction.  Right now I am in Joplin Missouri and headed toward Oklahoma.  Yesterday an older local guy told me where to find a section of Route 66 on original condition.  It was way high up in the Ozarks and I took some pictures.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3190 on: October 21, 2018, 10:19:33 AM »
Weather in the Rockies was bad so a route west was chosen that went south along the border.  This is a view over the wall at Cuidad Jaurez. It looks like a war zone in Mexico.  Unfortunately, things are not much better on the USA side.  Rural america is changed.  Folks buy things at the big box stores like Walmart or order items through Amazon.  The downtown merchants go out of business.  Nothing is happening socially in the city core anymore so the younger people leave.  The town where my mother spent part of her youth is Hamlin Texas.  It was 30,000 population in the 1910's and 1920's.  Now it has only a few thousand people.   This is happening in small towns almost everywhere I went.  It was also occurring where I went in Britain and Europe, too.  Big cities are growing.  Some areas "on the wrong side of the tracks" where we did not go in my youth are now safe and thriving neighborhoods.

Weather got real good after I drove into the Tucson Arizona basin.  Sun, low humidity, and no wind.  It was really nice there.       

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3191 on: October 21, 2018, 10:33:27 AM »
Now I am in Camp Pendleton on the California coast with Rose, my middle son, and two grandchildren.  My son is a mechanic and he did a full diagnostic scan of my truck.  A bunch of issues were found and we are fixing them.  He does the mental part and I do the menial stuff.  This is his pocket single channel oscilloscope.  It comes with probes, a paddle, and other items in the drawer.  It is real useful for all sorts of diagnostics.  One of these will be a perfect addition to the Bonneville Salt Flats toolbox.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3192 on: October 26, 2018, 12:00:21 AM »
Tomorrow I drive north through Los Angeles.  Some trailer axle parts might be bought there so I do not need to pay for shipping to Oregon.  The trailer axle spindles will be upgraded to #84 size.  The inside ends of the spindles will be square shaped and 1.75 inch by 1.75 inch.  They will fit inside an axle made if 2.00 by 2.00 square tubing with 1.25 wall thickness.

The spindles are carbon steel.  The axle tube will be 300 series stainless steel, preferably.   Is there a problem with GMAW welding carbon steel spindles into a stainless steel axle?

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3193 on: October 26, 2018, 12:38:30 AM »
My choice would definitely be to stick with as high a grade carbon steel as you can find, probably 1020. There are all sorts of issues as soon as you start mixing metals, especially in a high stress situation like an axle.

Pete
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 12:42:56 AM by Peter Jack »

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #3194 on: October 26, 2018, 09:41:02 AM »
     If you haven't already, now might be a good time to evaluate the total underneath combination including the wheel/tire diameter.  Significantly smaller than the tow rig's they will be rolling much faster than the speedometer indicates leading to higher heat, more rapid wear, and more frequent maintenance or replacement of the bearings than otherwise might be expected.

Maybe just me but I go on high alert when I'm about to overtake a combination with real small trailer wheels spinning like crazy out on the open road.  Especially boat trailers given the environment their bearings get exposed to on a regular basis and not knowing when the owner last inspected and repacked them.

Ed