Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438437 times)

Offline RansomT

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #3135 on: September 09, 2018, 12:29:02 PM »
You are in my parts.  Welcome to Kentucky!   This is where you can get blizzard conditions in the winter, tropical conditions in the summer, and very little true spring or fall conditions.  Hope you didn't see any damage with the rains.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3136 on: September 09, 2018, 08:57:24 PM »
I am on Hicks Pike between Georgetown and Cynthiana.  The EZ-up has been replaced.  The country around here is nice and we bury my father's ashes tomorrow. 

The wind tunnel fellow wants me to do all mods to the streamlining that I think I need before the test.  A 3-foot by 3-foot sheet of 0.025 aluminum is $27 at the local Lowes.  That is too expensive.  There is no shortage of empty beer cans around here so the mods will be done using those and I will do them correctly when I get back to Oregon.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3137 on: September 11, 2018, 10:45:44 PM »
The ol' walrus has Plan A to deal with the hurricane.  Right now I am between Kingsport and Bristol Tennessee.  It is a day's drive to Statesville N.C. where a KOA cabin is rented throughout the wind tunnel test.  Tomorrow I will snake down the mountains and get to Statesville in the late afternoon.  Then the camping gear and assorted tools will be dragged into the cabin.  A short trip to Home Depot, the grocery store, and the liquor store will provide the items needed for a prolonged stay in the cabin.  All this will happen before the first rain bands hit Statesville.  During the storm I will be snug in the cabin and pounding metal.  The sun will come out, the birds chirp, and I will tuft the bike.  Then it is a short drive to the wind tunnel for the test.  What can go wrong?  Nothing.  There is no need for a Plan B.   

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #3138 on: September 12, 2018, 09:12:18 AM »
WW, Plan B: Once you have it tufted just wait for the 145 mph winds - save big $$$!  :-o :-D :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #3139 on: September 12, 2018, 10:22:52 AM »
WW, Plan B: Once you have it tufted just wait for the 145 mph winds - save big $$$!  :-o :-D :cheers:

Dang, Woody, I was thinking the same thing!

John

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3140 on: September 12, 2018, 10:30:29 PM »
Right now I am in the KOA in Statesville.  The wind tunnel is in nearby Mooresville.  The owners let me park Bonnie on its trailer under a steel canopy over a picnic area.  It is a clear and calm night.  The campground is packed with folks fleeing the coast.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3141 on: September 14, 2018, 12:37:44 PM »
This weekend we get the rain.  Right now it is starting to be quite windy.  Hopefully these cabins are bolted down to the foundations.

An end panel was made yesterday from flattened beer cans sandwiched between two layers of aluminum roof flashing.  Trials will be made with and without the end piece.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3142 on: September 14, 2018, 12:42:31 PM »
The "new" panels were made yesterday to block off the gap under the offside foot peg.  The bike is being tufted during the short periods when the wind dies down.

Offline Bookfla

« Reply #3143 on: September 14, 2018, 01:38:43 PM »
I was at A2 with my APS bike last week. Gained a lot of good information. As everyone has said, be prepared to do as much upgrades/changes as possible. The one area they will focus on is under the front end triple trees and any gap between fender and fairing. I actually brought along another MPS bike we have thinking if I had time I would put my son up on that bike. After running a 2 hour gauntlet on the APS bike it was clear to me there were many upgrades I could do on the smaller MPS bike. Without these changes being implemented prior to testing I would really be wasting my money. All in all $990 dollar tunnel visit which enabled me to gain 40HP. In my opinion well worth it.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3144 on: September 14, 2018, 08:38:38 PM »
Folks in the South sure are friendly.  Many folks in this campground are not certain if they have a house to return to.  You would not know this by how they act.  They are calm, upbeat, polite and courteous despite the horrible trouble.

This morning I went to town for supplies like an additional water jug, food, pop rivets, duck tape, and beer.  Then I set to work.  The back end is tufted and the gap under the nearside foot peg is starting to be closed.

Thanks for the advice.  The A2 expert and me discussed the critical area at the front end.  It is an air cooled motor and it is hard to do much there.  We will look at in detail during the test.

Some of the beer I got was Island Lager from Lakeland.  It tastes pretty good.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3145 on: September 15, 2018, 08:28:55 PM »
This place reminds me of Gilligan's Island.  Most of the folks are stranded here 'cause the highways are impassable to their homes.  I might be the only exception.  The wind tunnel test is on Tuesday morning so I need to stick around.  Last night I was invited to a nice southern dinner in a trailer.  Tonight I cooked for the group.  Hobo stew was what I made.  They liked it.

It has been windy here for days.  About noon the rains came.  The locals call these "bands."  Two to three inches are predicted tonight, four inches tomorrow, and 2 to 3 inches tomorrow night.  The hard rains in the bands are scary.  Living in Oregon, I thought i was an expert on rain.  Not so.  This is new to me.

The shiny metal shows the additions to the nearside streamlining.  The upper section is made from three layers of roof flashing.  The lower section needed to be beat into a compound curve.  This could not be done using flashing so I went into town and spent an outrageous amount of money for some 0.025 sheet.  It is shown with the slot for the side stand.  It took some major figuring to get the side stand hole just the right size.      .   

Offline RansomT

« Reply #3146 on: September 15, 2018, 08:44:25 PM »
It's going to be very interesting to see the effect of the closed versus open tail.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3147 on: September 16, 2018, 08:11:32 AM »
The tail end removal is the only thing that is planned to be changed during the test, at this time.  Any other changes and retests will be what they suggest.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3148 on: September 16, 2018, 08:39:34 AM »
It rained all last night and today it is raining with the wind blowing harder.  The building in the picture is protecting the bike so I can work on it.  These wind is predicted to change direction this evening and it will blow the rain under the canopy.  It looks like I have six to eight hours to finish the tufting and metal work.

Offline Frank06

« Reply #3149 on: September 16, 2018, 12:29:29 PM »
Good luck getting it done in time Bo.  Looking forward to your report from the wind tunnel!  This is a great thread BTW...
E-Racer