Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438491 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #3120 on: August 22, 2018, 04:40:52 PM »
That looks good.  Your back is level which is very important.  Make sure you can keep it level and see ahead with your helmet on.  I needed to use a Shoei X-14 helmet with the optional thicker front pad and thinner rear pad to get the proper view while tucked.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3121 on: August 25, 2018, 08:04:54 PM »
The bike is together and it is in the Winnemucca KOA.  The 104 horsepower at the rear wheel is all I can get this year.  It is not enough.  So, work was done on the aero.  Note the lower tail hump, longer tail length, and higher seat.  I knew I needed more than the power I could get last year.  So, I lost 35 pounds and did six months of yoga.  Now I can painlessly flop down and hug the tank like young Macroux.  My mechanic son is coming up from Camp Pendleton and he will meet me here.  Then we go on to the speed trials.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3122 on: September 02, 2018, 12:54:30 AM »
The bike is transported with the tail and fairing on it.  There is a 152 mph record for a naked 1000cc twin in FIM.  It was set many years ago by Alan Cathcart, the UK journalist, on a Bonneville Thruxton.  We got to Wendover on Sunday and spent the evening and Monday switching the bike to naked class and getting it through tech.  My middle son, Josef, took leave from Camp Pendleton to help with it.  The job was too big for me, alone.

Offline TheBaron

« Reply #3123 on: September 02, 2018, 11:12:46 AM »
i just love the hammered alloy and rivets of your streamlining, great effort...

What speed numbers did you get as an "open" bike ???

I rode one of these new Bonnies for a few years and liked it, however they sit up so high, making such a big hole in the air, that
140 mph would be a great number to hit I'm guessing....

Robert in California
Red Baron Race Team

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3124 on: September 03, 2018, 11:34:36 AM »
The bike ran naked on Tuesday.  No one was ahead of me in the line so I made the first run of the day with a choice of track.  There was a strong wind from the mountain side.  If I got blown off of the track on the short course I could hit the timing tower. If this happened on the long course I would be out in the crunchies with much less danger.  So I chose the long track.

The launch and crossing the underground river was OK.  Then a gust of wind came through the slot and almost blew me off of the track.  I kept on the throttle and heeled it over toward the mountains and the run went OK.  The bike could not gain any rpm after the shift into 5th.  The frontal area and aero drag coefficient are much increased during a side wind so this might be part of the problem.  Timed speed was 127 mph.

It was time to make a calibration run.  The bike was ran a second time while shooting ducks through the entire timed mile.  Runs on two different dynos show that this happens at 8,900 rpm.  The time slip said 129 mph.  Some calculations gave me the slip factor.

The gearing was examined using the slip factor.  The 19 - 42 combo would hit the rev limiter at the 155 mph target speed.  This was against a 152 mph record.  The gearing was perfect.  The bike does not have enough power.  The naked record was out of reach for the meet.  Right then I gave up on FIM record chasing.  The objective now was to get a 150 mph medal.  We went back to camp and started to put on the streamlining.

Josef and I went to the Legends dinner and the ladies in town made this great banquet.  Good food and it was free.  Any day that a guy learns something and goes to bed on a full stomach is a nice one. 

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3125 on: September 03, 2018, 12:38:04 PM »
WW;

I think it was Jack Costella, who said "Add gears until it goes slower, then add horsepower."

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 09:25:20 PM by manta22 »
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline TheBaron

« Reply #3126 on: September 03, 2018, 07:40:18 PM »
Sounds like you had a fine time of it, all things considered...

You are so right about crosswinds slowing you down....

My little pushrod 350 will lose 5+ mph if it just sees a flag move anywhere in the area....

Man, that is a LOT of slippage you had,,,, 20% or so,,, that backend would have been fishtailing all over the place, and the tire should have been all chewed up...

DO you think some of it could have been clutch slippage?  I had that problem and I had to shim the clutch springs to get it to stop...and then, of course, the dang clutch cable failed from all the extra strain....on the starting line and with no spare on-hand...that's racing

It will often only show up in High Gear and after the oil get good and warm.....You are ,after all, making a lot more horsepower than an oem motor....

Good fortune and hope to see you on the track sometime..

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3127 on: September 04, 2018, 10:03:15 AM »
The calibration run was in 4th gear.  The slippage was a percent above or below 5%.  I do not remember exactly.  It is in my notes in the truck.

There is a Motul oil that I am using that prevents clutch slippage.  I cannot remember the designation.  It is on a bottle of it in the truck.

Last night I tried to sleep in a truck stop in Woodward Oklahoma.  Big trucks were near me.  One was a cattle truck that needed an engine rebuild.  Those guys and gals do not turn those rigs off at night.  It was hella smelly and noisy.  It took a lot of beer for me to go to sleep.  I woke up groggy with a hangover.  Now I am in the diner drinking coffee until my eyeballs vibrate.  Then it will be time to hit the road.

We spent Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning at the KOA rebuilding the bike to partial streamliner.  Then it went through tech in the late afternoon.  Thursday was the last day of the meet and they were doing down runs till noon.  I was one of the first to be staged and ready to go.  There was an 8 mph headwind so I waited.  About 11:45 it died down to around 3 to 4 mph so I made the run.

The bike is always spooky on the shutdown.  It is either about to go into a speed wobble or in one.  It was well behaved this time.  Dropping 35 pounds of weight and reducing the fork offset did the trick.

Speed was 149.7 mph.  0.4 mph slow from a 150 medal.  We will be back again next year.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #3128 on: September 04, 2018, 10:24:47 AM »
WW, you are such a tease! :-o :-D :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #3129 on: September 04, 2018, 06:20:49 PM »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh.........so close!  You beat me by 1.9 mph :wink: :wink:
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline TheBaron

« Reply #3130 on: September 04, 2018, 08:22:25 PM »
Wow ! your aero package gained you a full 20 mph....

That is a real good job you did on the aero package.....

When a fairing is added to a lot of bikes, only a 6 to 9 mph increase is seen,,,till they do some aligning and tweaking anyway...

Robert

PS: 4th gear makes a lot more sense on the slippage

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3131 on: September 04, 2018, 10:52:52 PM »
My little four cylinder truck with all of the camping gear, bike, trailer, air compressor, EZ up, generator, etc, is too slow for the interstate.  I take a lot of back roads like in the pictures.  This gives me a lot of time to think about aero.  Right now I am in Wellington, Kansas.  At night in camp I have a few beers and look at the bike.  What I need to do is lower the top of the tank and fairing so I am looking over the top of the triple clamp to see the track.  This will make a big reduction in frontal area.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3132 on: September 05, 2018, 09:59:47 AM »
WW... if you are on the way home from Bonneville you may have turned right when you should have turned left....  :-D
The second pic looks like you are on my road, except for the pavement and trees  :roll: 
Enjoy your trip on the back roads... best way too see America   :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3133 on: September 05, 2018, 10:07:59 PM »
The Oklahoma state parks have excellent camping facilities.  There was no need to go to the truck stop.  Of course, I learned this after I spent the night with the big trucks.

My pa showed me how to drive his F-100 Ford using a vacuum gauge hooked to the manifold.  High manifold vacuum = good fuel mileage.  The little truck will pull the load at 75 to 80 mph on the freeway, no problem.  Unfortunately I am using a lot of throttle and manifold vacuum is low.  I am assuming this means the gas mileage will also be low.  The 2008 Toyota is fuel injected.  I do not know if the manifold vacuum of driving is valid for EFI engines.  It worked great on carb engines.     

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3134 on: September 09, 2018, 12:17:18 PM »
It has been raining off and on since I entered New Mexico.  Last night I visited relatives in Kentucky.  I was sleeping in the truck and the EZ-up was covering the bike, tools, and other things I took out of the truck to sleep in it.  It rained for hours, then it rained extremely hard for a few minutes.  The EZ-up collapsed onto the bike and trailer under the force from the falling water.  These are the after effects from Gordon.  A big hurricane is scheduled to hit North Carolina the day I was going to arrive.  So, I will be getting there a few days early to sit it out in the KOA during the hurricane. Then the task will be to get ready for the wind tunnel test.