Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1437937 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #3105 on: August 18, 2018, 01:11:04 AM »
The FIM rules say "No part of any streamlining may exceed below the inner circle of the tyre rim at its lowest position."

The rear wheel covers are streamlining.  They extended down to the outer face of the wheel rim and they were taped to it.  The edge of the cover was lower than the inner circle of the wheel rim.  Now the edges are trimmed so they do not go lower than the inner edge of the rim and the outside edges are reinforced.

The new rules also say "With the rider in racing position, no part of the streamlining shall cover the front wheel rim when viewed perpendicular from the side."  There was a small portion of the rim that was below the fender and hidden from view by the fairing.  The lower fairing leading edges are being trimmed back so the rim below the fender is clearly visible from the side.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3106 on: August 19, 2018, 01:19:32 PM »
Lots of aluminum and a zillion pop rivets later...

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3107 on: August 19, 2018, 01:25:15 PM »
The bike meets the new 2018 FIM rules as wells those listed for 2019.  The last tasks were to cut crescents out of the leading edges of the fairing  The rim below the fender needs to be visible from the sides when the rider is on the bike.  The bike is not loaded now so it looks like too much is removed.  Actually, just enough of the fairing was taken off to meet the new regs.

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #3108 on: August 19, 2018, 06:40:04 PM »
Wobbley you state from the FIM rules that, "No part of any streamlining may exceed below the inner circle of the tyre rim at its lowest position"

I am looking at the FIM Technical Appendices for FIM World Records as supplied and used at out FIM Australian Speed Trials this year at Gairdner, cannot find any reference to this rueling  :?
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3109 on: August 20, 2018, 01:18:59 PM »
Ours is issued after the FIM international congress.  Maybe they made the changes?  The full rules are on the BMST website.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3110 on: August 20, 2018, 04:46:11 PM »
The wind tunnel folks have some options to use during testing.  The smoke looks like a good idea.  Pressure transducers under the wheels will give me valuable information about lift at speed.  Are there any other options that are useful to a bike guy?

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #3111 on: August 20, 2018, 05:39:28 PM »
Thankyou Wobbley for bringing that to my attention,, I am reading from the rules dated July 20, 2017, I notice the ones you have posted are dated July 2, 2018,,

First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #3112 on: August 21, 2018, 09:08:20 AM »
The wind tunnel folks have some options to use during testing.  The smoke looks like a good idea.  Pressure transducers under the wheels will give me valuable information about lift at speed.  Are there any other options that are useful to a bike guy?

Don't over-tuft it WW!  :-o :-o :-D
https://a2wt.com/AeroInfo.html
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3113 on: August 21, 2018, 10:08:37 AM »
Woody, the time I set aside to research this aero stuff I spent beating metal into something that might pass the rules and I leave on Thursday AM.  Unfortunately, I am as sharp as a marble on this subject.  Do you mean to make sure I do this, or to minimize it?  Also, what should I get for data to use in digital modeling this winter?

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #3114 on: August 21, 2018, 11:42:37 AM »
The example shown has about 2~3 times more tufting than you will need.  :-o
This will show more than the smoke. It will show what happens when the smoke gets fuzzy and it will!  :x
Wind tunnels are pit stops - mount everything major that you can - it is quicker to remove stuff than to mount it! Take lots of tape and cardboard! :lol:
Something I think might be interesting is to wrap your fairing with shrink wrap to smooth out all your pop rivet turbulators.  :roll:
Two most common comments in the wind tunnel: "Wow, look at that!" and "I have no idea!" What you need is somewhere in between!  :cheers:
They will give you a spreadsheet with all the run data but they do not chart it. Let me know if you need help with that. Enjoy A2. Ask for a look-see next doors!
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3115 on: August 21, 2018, 12:04:29 PM »
Thanks for the help.  I arrive at the campsite near the tunnel a few days early.  At camp, using duck tape and styrofoam and cardboard I will add what I think I need.  Then it is easily removed during the test.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3116 on: August 21, 2018, 12:21:21 PM »
What are the tufts made from?

Offline Marcroux

« Reply #3117 on: August 21, 2018, 12:43:22 PM »
Yarn, use a contrasting color. May be your wife has some she can spare. If not try a place that sells knitting supplies. That what I used.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 12:50:19 PM by Marcroux »

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3118 on: August 22, 2018, 01:25:48 AM »
Macroux, your location is Chico.  That was where I did my last 3 years in engineering skool.  They had a flume in the hydraulics engineering lab and that is where we did "water tunnel" modeling.

Offline Marcroux

« Reply #3119 on: August 22, 2018, 12:51:17 PM »
I used the farm roads, a pickup truck , two of my buddies and camera to do my aero testing. Why the cops never trouble us I don't know. Funny writing this I am in the mood for a Grad burger sadly the Graduate close a few year back. I went to Chico State never finish my degree.    
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 12:53:02 PM by Marcroux »