Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438142 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #2970 on: December 16, 2017, 10:15:55 PM »
The dyno room is torn down at the Triumph shop and the dyno is for sale.  Lack of demand for its services is the big reason.  Far fewer folks are doing hop-up and the new performance modifications come with appropriate EFI map changes.  It is "plug and play" for the average customer.  It looks like I need to find a new shop to do the dyno work.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2971 on: December 17, 2017, 12:45:53 PM »
. . . or buy it (cheap?).
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2972 on: December 17, 2017, 12:54:43 PM »
Sounds like a great retirement job investment.... aren't you approaching....
Just Saying  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2973 on: December 18, 2017, 02:25:44 PM »
Me too old.  Right now I am fixing the house up for eventual sale and getting rid of things.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2974 on: December 24, 2017, 11:03:20 AM »
Werner is my youngest son.  He is a marine corporal at Camp Pendleton and he is visiting us for the holidays.  A few years ago he bought a pickup truck to pull his house trailer.  It pulled the thing to a new trailer park but barely made the trip.  The truck engine is an inline six diesel and it was too low powered.  He did not buy a bigger truck.  Instead he took the little motor apart and started work.  This is his second engine.  The first was a 150cc Honda bike motor for his land speed race bike.  He talked to me about this project at the start.  I know nothing about cars or diesels.  My advice was that he was a complete idiot.  It seemed like an expensive fiasco. So, I get no credit for his success.

The engine was rated at 144 HP from the factory.  He added n additional turbo that was scrounged from a vehicle at the san Onofre dump.  Then he learned to weld from the University of U-Tube and he made his manifolds.  The bottom end was taken apart and the bearings coated and some other things.  He cut grooves in the block for o-rings around the cylinders.  Then he took apart the tranny and rebuilt it.  Harbor Freight tools and his older brother helped.  The truck is running and he took it to the local dyno and did some tuning.  It puts out 711 HP at the back wheels. 

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2975 on: December 24, 2017, 11:14:33 AM »
"Impressive, young Skywalker."

Keep it together.

Happy Holidaze!!

from the flatlands . . . . . .

:cheers:
M
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2976 on: December 24, 2017, 12:01:19 PM »
That sounds adequate for hauling the trailer. Congratulations Werner.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2977 on: December 24, 2017, 10:11:23 PM »
One day he might join the forum.  His CO (commanding officer) does not allow him to go to B'viile.  More marines get killed in goofy stuff like bike and car accidents than in combat.  The CO is acting logically based on the typical viewpoint about racing.  They do not know that competition is safer than street riding.  The trailer is for sale now and the truck will be up for sale soon.  He has two kids and needs a house.

The boy is the fourth of five children.  By then, I was sorta burned out on being a super parent.  We are in a poor state.  "Timber Appalachia" it is called.  Nothing much was going to happen in his life unless he made it happen.  He had to figure things out for himself.  The kid is a basic hot rodder.  He is far ahead of where I wuz at his age.  He will be here for a week or two.  I will try to teach him what little I know.  Introduction to Dynomation will be a good start.     

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2978 on: December 26, 2017, 01:20:35 PM »
Werner uses an exhaust gas temperature gauge when he pulls the trailer.  He hooked up a pump to a tank of windshield washer fluid and it squirts into the intake tract when he activates a switch.  He keeps his EGT temps from getting too hot using this setup.  The washer fluid has methanol in it as well as water.

High eye port helmets are a topic on another thread.  A chinese one was mentioned.  A land speed crash will be a bad one so it seems logical to get a good quality helmet.  In addition, I do not buy anything from mainland china for various reasons.  The one I got was a Shoei X-14.  It replaces a new Arai Vector 2.

The street bike is parked in front of the shed door.  I crouch down lower and lower until the top of the black windshield meets the lower edge of the helmet eye port.  The groove on the door that lines up with this is recorded.  The X-14 groove is the highest one.  Some geometry calculations using triangles shows that I can lower my head a fraction of an inch.  The triangle between the edge of the windshield and the shed door is much longer than the triangle between the windshield edge and the helmet.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2979 on: December 26, 2017, 01:33:55 PM »
This is the Vector 2 and X-14.  The vector is the normal shaped helmet.  The X-14 has an emergency release.

My hope was the high eye port helmet would allow me to get my head down 1.5 inches.  This will not happen.  The aero advantage from the Shoei might help.  This is something I cannot evaluate without wind tunnel testing.

This research on helmets used lots of asking questions.  The Snell standards have a frontal impact test, I was told, and this limits how high the eye port can be.  The helmet will be too weak if the eye port is very high and it will not get Snell certification.  The X-14 meets Snell standards.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #2980 on: December 26, 2017, 07:42:45 PM »
Looks good Bo, especially on the aero.  In 2013 I made 9 little changes (including finding and donning my lucky biker shorts!) and gained 9 mph.  If only we could always be that lucky.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2981 on: December 26, 2017, 11:55:03 PM »
Maybe that will work for me.  Does washing them between meets diminish their lucky power?

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #2982 on: December 27, 2017, 09:47:53 AM »
Maybe that will work for me.  Does washing them between meets diminish their lucky power?

I'll let you know when I get around to that!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2983 on: December 28, 2017, 10:19:05 PM »
The T-100 Bonneville has a traditional 360 degree firing order with both pistons going up and down together.  One piston is at the top of the power stroke and the other is in the middle of valve lift overlap.  The chopper style America and Speedmaster models and the scrambler have crank throws with a 90 degree offset like the one in the foto.  These are typically run with a 270-450 firing order.  The Triumph dirt track team does this.  This is what I am doing this year.  They can also be set up for 90-630 firing order.  I might do this, too, at a later date.

The parts came back from Revco where they were balanced.  Little drill holes and spot grinding indicate that work was done.  They were balanced for the big bore pistons and the Carillo rods.  These lopsided firing order twins are very smooth.  This should be an almost vibration free race motor.

This conversion is costing me a lot more than I initially figured.  The shed is being cleaned out and a few things are posted in the classifieds on the Triumph forum.  There is no interest there.  I will post them here, too, under the W. Walrus Shed Sale thread.  A donation will be made to Slim if I can get rid of these most excellent items.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #2984 on: January 01, 2018, 10:24:01 AM »
That's one beautiful bit of eye candy!  I especially like the knife block, olive oil, and microwave oven - - a true motorhead's dinner table.

Tom