Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438006 times)

Offline handyguy

• BANTAM FOURPLAY
Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #2265 on: January 09, 2016, 10:22:27 AM »
   I  have used  Pour 15 ($50+ qt.) on car project.. The process is 2 parts , degreasing  with their cleaner than painting with Pour 15.   Wearing respirator recommended even outdoors .  Could affect brain , nervous and kidney systems.  My brain is already affected with cars and what you want to do with them,  nerves only appear when I think about driving this project  :evil: , and drinking plenty of fluids  :cheers:  doesn't give kidneys time to absorb stuff like   ISOCYANATES  !!   Magnifier AND glasses helps to read the LABEL..  Good stuff if you don't want anything to affect the metal underneath,   it's like a tattoo..  [img]

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2266 on: January 10, 2016, 12:29:27 AM »
Oh no!  The writing on that label was so small that I did not read much more than the directions.  Fortunately I was drinking lots of beer throughout the job.  That might have saved my kidneys.  The project is done, I am still alive, and I will be more careful next time. 

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #2267 on: January 12, 2016, 09:37:19 AM »
Hotrodding at it's finest. :cheers:

For aluminum gauling on blades, I like beeswax or other solid wax sticks.  Less mess, works better than liquids.

Yep yep yep... Parafin has always been a superior cutting lubricant for aluminium.  It should be noted that both solid and liquid parafin work well, meaning candles work alright, and so does kerosene (for us americans).  In a pinch, #2 diesel and solvent aren't half bad.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2268 on: January 15, 2016, 11:50:24 PM »
Thanks for the advice, Polyhead.  Your identification says you are from Portland.  Make sure you come to the Northwest Reunion next month.  I will be there.  Look for an older slightly overweight balding guy with glasses.  That's me.

This is the left cylinder upper rod shell.  Note the chunk of surface coating that went AWOL.  These are Mahle shells and one of the technical experts in the North American office offered to examine and give me advice.  That is good support for this racer.  The shell goes out in the mail tomorrow.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2269 on: January 16, 2016, 06:18:47 AM »

This is the left cylinder upper rod shell.  Note the chunk of surface coating that went AWOL.  These are Mahle shells and one of the technical experts in the North American office offered to examine and give me advice.  That is good support for this racer.  The shell goes out in the mail tomorrow.

Bo,

Are you referring to the defect on the left side of the photo, about halfway up from the bottom?   (The top, normally installed?)

If so, carefully check the back of the bearing shell for a small bit of "foreign material".   If there is a telltale "dent" in the back of the bearing shell at that location, a bit of dirt/grit/whatever is the culprit.   If that is not the case, the bearing guy is your best bet.

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2270 on: January 16, 2016, 10:18:56 AM »
Thanks for the advice, Polyhead.  Your identification says you are from Portland.  Make sure you come to the Northwest Reunion next month.  I will be there.  Look for an older slightly overweight balding guy with glasses.  That's me.

Bo... you and half the other guys that will be there...  :roll:
See y'all there :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2271 on: January 17, 2016, 01:27:04 AM »
The micrometers, standards, and the bile were put in the shed overnight with the heater on.  The goal was to get everything to 20 degrees C or 68 degrees F.  The crank was turned forward as far as possible for measuring.  The journal diameters were measured on the right side, left side, and in the middle.  The crank was turned backwards as far as it would go and be measured.  The journals were measured on both sides and in the middle.

The sets of measurements were at 90 degrees to each other.  The measurements show the journals are round and not worn with one exception.  The right journal, where the rod pushes on it with maximum force during combustion, is worn 0.0001 inches more than elsewhere on the journal.  This is not a big deal.  The left rod journal is 0.0003 inches bigger than the right journal.  It appears to have been made that way.  This might be a big part of my problem.

This is a problem I did not detect during years of Plastigage measurements.  Monday I will take the rods to the machinist and ask him to measure the big end internal diameters without the shells, with the used shells, with new "White" coded shells, and with new "Red" coded shells.  The white ones are a little bit larger than the red ones.

This micrometer set was thrown into the recycle dumpster when my brother's company closed their R & D machine shop.  The guy that tossed them was following orders and he felt bad about it so he told my brother who is a mechanical engineer.  My brother swooped in and fished the mikes out along with a bunch of other stuff before the recycle guys came.   

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2272 on: January 17, 2016, 06:30:51 AM »
Bo,

That was a nice save!!   Hope you paid him back somehow.

:cheers:
F/B
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #2273 on: January 17, 2016, 09:11:50 PM »

pnw reunion?  Never heard of it.  You'll have to tell me more, feel free to pm it to me so we don't spam the thread up too much... or do.. you're thread :D
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #2274 on: January 17, 2016, 09:15:01 PM »

This micrometer set was thrown into the recycle dumpster when my brother's company closed their R & D machine shop.  The guy that tossed them was following orders and he felt bad about it so he told my brother who is a mechanical engineer.  My brother swooped in and fished the mikes out along with a bunch of other stuff before the recycle guys came.   

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT... oh god the machinist in me just died a little inside!  I mean.. not only are they the .0001 reading mitutoyo set, its the carbide tipped set at that!  My desire to murder.... right now...
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #2275 on: January 17, 2016, 09:30:57 PM »

pnw reunion?  Never heard of it.  You'll have to tell me more, feel free to pm it to me so we don't spam the thread up too much... or do.. you're thread :D

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,15440.0.html

Bonneville NW Reunion draws racers from all over the country
Be there or be square  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #2276 on: January 17, 2016, 10:12:37 PM »

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,15440.0.html

Bonneville NW Reunion draws racers from all over the country
Be there or be square  :cheers:

Well... if I have any money left over!  Or i'm not stuck over at the shop...
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #2277 on: January 18, 2016, 07:02:22 AM »
"This micrometer set was thrown into the recycle dumpster when my brother's company closed their R & D machine shop."

Dumpster diving at its best! I used to like to take scrap metal to our local dump and I used to come home with more scrap metal than I went with.  When we were kids, the local dumps were our parts source.  Bed frame angles and lawn mower wheels were diamonds in the rough. Bicycle handlebars would serve as a steering wheel on a go-kart and brake levers would work as a throttle.  I found an R.E.O. 2 hp horizontal shaft motor that powered my first "motorcycle". Now they won't let you take anything or even get near the scrap metal pile.  Last time I went there were two complete full suspension bikes under some misc. other metal and I asked the attendant about them.  He said that not even the employees were allowed to take anything home with them.  The true throw-away society we live in today.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 07:15:35 AM by Koncretekid »
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2278 on: January 18, 2016, 07:58:48 PM »
We had a dump near the house where I grew up.  One evening when I was a boy I snuck in to toss a bunch of scrap iron on their metal pile.  This box on the refuse heap moved and wiggled.  It was full of puppies.  I took them home and our family fell in love with them.  All of them lived happy lives.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #2279 on: January 18, 2016, 08:18:55 PM »

Well... if I have any money left over!  Or i'm not stuck over at the shop...

You can invite folks to visit your project... if you have good beer  :-D
Stainless