Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438096 times)

Offline Freud

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #2160 on: October 13, 2015, 01:24:16 PM »
String Em up, Matt.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2161 on: October 13, 2015, 11:29:14 PM »
That sticker that is being removed is from our local dirt bike club.  They cut me down to size on a regular basis.  That is their valuable contribution to the race effort.

The current project is putting a trailer hitch on Rose's truck so I can haul the bike to the bike show.  The new hitch pin is a stainless steel bolt from the junk box.  I use that instead of the usual bent rod pin.  My thinking I do not need to buy anything and it works better.  The clown that wants to steal my trailer needs to have a couple of wrenches and a way to break the lock.  That will defeat the usual fellow who carries a crowbar, only.

A hole needed to be drilled through the bolt for a lock.  These bolts are tough and they quickly dull the common drills.  Years ago a guy gave me a bunch of short high speed drills.  These work great.  They cut through stainless and titanium just like they are mild steel.  Unfortunately, I do not know who makes them.  It will be nice to buy some more.  The symbol on the drill shank is shown.  The pointy end of the drill is facing up.  Do you know who makes these?

The drill index box that came with the drills says HUOT in St Paul.  There are all sorts of drill brands in the box so there is a good chance it is made by someone else.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2162 on: October 13, 2015, 11:46:57 PM »
I hardly have any good drills left after my encounter with stainless steel.
Drilling bolts is no joke either. I hope it works out for you Bo and you get to keep your trailer. :cheers:

A guy I knew had this little business with these rolling billboards that he'd set up in non zoned areas
so the cops started towing them away at first.
He made a removable hitch system with an odd size tube and fitted a lock that went through the tube.
That put and end to his "Illegal" trailers being towed.

I see it's common practice now with all the trailer billboard guys. :-D

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2163 on: October 14, 2015, 08:47:29 PM »
Discovery Channel Canada at 7:00 PM eastern standard time has a show featuring a few of us at Pendine Sands.

They had to do some serious coaching to make me appear to have an attitude.  In real life I am a normal guy.  I am afraid to watch this thing so tell me how it goes.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2164 on: October 21, 2015, 01:43:00 AM »
The bike is ready for the show.  It was a lot of work to prepare it.  It was dirty, dented up, some minor corrosion, and wear and tear.  Now it is clean and all the dents knocked out and the corrosion taken care of.  A lot of this is also preparation for 2016 BMST.

Rose was doing the finances a few days ago.  Our neighborhood is "gentrifying."  Property values and taxes are going up, the cost of everything is inflating fast, and we are on sort of a fixed income.  Rose is retired and my employer is a tightwad.  It looks like the racing budget is reduced and I will actually need to pay attention to it.  The build will be progressing mighty slow.

The target I had was 165 mph and that would get me back the FIM record I had.  The bike ran 146 in 2015.  Plans are revised to do something more realistic.  It will be a solid run or two above the magic 150 mph.  The new pistons will raise compression ratio from 10.5 to 12 to one.  The new cams will help, too.  The bike is ported but the rubber castings show there is room for improvement.  The intake ports will be enlarged so their minimum cross sectional area is 85 percent of the valve area.  The tops of the pistons will be ceramic coated, the intake valves polymer coated, and maybe the combustion chamber.  The head needs bigger intake and exhaust valves and I was going to develop a custom race header.  That will wait till 2017.     

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2165 on: October 21, 2015, 12:29:01 PM »
WW, I think you may have as many rivets in that fairing as I have in my car.  :lol:

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2166 on: October 22, 2015, 11:58:01 PM »
Neil, it is a Titanic project to build and repair.   

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #2167 on: October 23, 2015, 01:08:44 AM »
Neil, it is a Titanic project to build and repair.   

And built in occupied Belfast, Ireland.  Probably just a coincidence that it split its seams when it bumped an iceberg.   :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2168 on: October 23, 2015, 02:05:43 AM »
The only iceberg I need to worry about is the floating mountain.

A $500 USD a month race budget means I develop new skills or go slow.  Now I will do my port work.  Rereading Vizard's chapters on porting tell me that for a four valve cylinder the intake cross-sectional area should be 85% of the intake valve area.  The valves are 33mm wide.  Using basic math, the intake port area is {[(33/25.4) /2] **2} x pi x 2 x 0.85 = 2.25 square inches.

The iron valve seat rings have a 1.130 inch inner diameter.  Their area is {(1.130/2)**2} x pi x 2 = 2.00 square inches without subtracting the valve stem area.  The valve stem area is (0.192 /2) **2 x pi x 2 = 0.06 square inches.  The intake port at the seat ring area is 2.00 - 0.06 = 1.94 square inches.  The port has more area than the valve seat rings.  The intake flow contracts and speeds up when it goes out of the port and across the valve seat rings.  It also appears that the ports have more area than the seat rings and I should see and feel a contraction as the port meets the ring.

Intake valve seats with 2mm larger diameter were installed a few years ago.  I did not match the ports to the seats very well.  Note the plastic curve behind the rubber plug.  It shows the port roof shape I will try to make when I enlarge the intake valve bowls.

It will be a few days before I pick up the port grinder and make chips.  Does what I am thinking of doing make sense?

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #2169 on: October 24, 2015, 02:30:26 PM »
Wobbly,
When Vizard refers to “valve area” is he referring to the valve head area, as you have calculated, or the valve “curtain” area, the flow area available when the valve is open?  Seems like that would be more related to port area. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2170 on: October 26, 2015, 01:10:26 AM »
I am not sure of exactly what intake valve area Vizard is referring to.  I decided to send the head out to get it professionally done with a flow test before and after.  The head was ported once before with the standard OEM valve seat rings.  Larger intake seat rings were installed a few years ago and the ports were not fully matched to the rings.   

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2171 on: October 26, 2015, 10:57:45 AM »
Bo, do you think ports are ports and flow is flow?.

Maybe I've phrased it wrong but Grumpy Jenkins did a lot in that area
and in his book "The Chevrolet Racing Engine" he covered the above subject extensively.

I guess most of the answers you need are right there. Maybe worth a read. He got the best out of some
stuff that wasn't great to begin with. :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2172 on: October 27, 2015, 10:51:39 PM »
Mike, I am ham fisted with bad depth perception.  Those ports are tiny and complex.

Today I e-mailed the fellow that made the valves and guides and installed bigger valve seat rings and the shim under bucket setup with heavy duty springs.  He works in research and development for a valve train company.  He has some ideas based on what he saw when he was working on it.  I will send him the head.

My trailer is some sort of kit I bought at K-mart about 30 years ago.  There is no weather protection on it other than two dinky fenders.  Last night and today are the only times that clear weather was certain before the bike show.  Hauling the bike to Portland in the rain will get it dirty so I had to move fast.  After work I finished the wiring on Rose's truck so it could pull a trailer.  About 9:00 last night I put the trailer on and checked the lights.  Everything worked the first time.  That happens only a few times in the history of the world.  I am very lucky.  Rose and I pushed the bike on the trailer and I tied it down and went to bed at midnight.  At 3:00 AM I got up and hauled it to Beaverton and and left it in front of the Triumph shop. Heidi Rose uses Roses truck to go to Portland State during the day so I had the truck back home by 6:30 AM.  Rose went to the dry cleaner and picked up the seat cover.  After a few hours sleep I left on the bike with the seat cover and rode back up to Beaverton, put the seat cover on, polished the bike up with a baby diaper, and rode back home.  The bike is at the Triumph shop.  Professional bike movers will take it from Beaverton to the convention center in Portland for the show.

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #2173 on: October 28, 2015, 10:10:08 AM »
My 1982 WELLS CARGO enclosed trailer just keeps on rollin'...............but the fenders look like swiss-cheese :lol:

Bo...........do you have a SAVE THE SALT sign for the show?
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2174 on: October 28, 2015, 01:16:01 PM »
Bo, that's a lot of work for a guy your age.
Staying awake like that takes it out of you.
I guess you just do what comes natural.

Have a blast at the show brother. God Bless. :cheers: