Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1437859 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #2085 on: June 11, 2015, 01:35:30 AM »
The Beach is another pub/inn with some land speed racing history.  In the evenings there was all sorts of loud singing coming from within.  One quiet afternoon I went in and asked "Is this a typical Welsh pub with all this carrying-on?"  The bar lady said "No, those blokes are from England.  Its Bank Holiday.  We are sort of quiet here, mostly."  The sign is on the side of the pub.  This was another pub on my nightly route.  Gretchen liked these pubs, too.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2086 on: June 11, 2015, 01:47:49 AM »
A caravan park is like an American trailer park.  This one is well kept up.  The caravans are similar to a single-wide in America.  The owners rent them out by the day when they are not using them.  This one we stayed in was very clean and quiet.  A lot of racers stay in these.

I did not know what to expect here as for services and supplies.  Everything I needed was packed in the crate including fuel.  The tire pump was powered by the van cigarette lighter socket.  A US to UK power adapter and two extension cords were used to connect the battery charger to an outlet in the caravan.  I was smart to bring all of this stuff.  There is not much in this town for mechanics supplies and there is no petrol (gas) station.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2087 on: June 13, 2015, 02:24:25 AM »
It is worth it to spend a few days in Pendine before and after the race.  The Welsh coast is worth a visit.  It is easy to walk around the the bluff at beach's end when the tide is out.  Lots of sea caves there and majestic cliffs.  A public trail starts at the bottom of the bluff and goes along the top of the sea cliffs to the cove to the west.  Lots of nice views.  A road goes to the top of the ridge to the north of town where the cows are in the photo.  It is possible to look across the Bristol Channel and see the coasts of Devon and Cornwall in England.

The thing to remember when sand riding is to shift one's weight to the rear when riding over loose and powdery sand.  Also, expect the bike to move around a lot and do not tense up or panic.  Relax and let the bike find its way.  Use tires with tread and good large air filters.

This is the last Pendine post.  Hopefully someone reading this will go there.  It is a good race in a pretty place with nice people.   

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2088 on: June 13, 2015, 10:55:46 AM »
Thanks Bo.

You gave us a virtual tour and it was cool.

Have a safe trip home brother. :cheers:

Offline Rasmussen

« Reply #2089 on: July 10, 2015, 09:36:51 AM »

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #2090 on: July 10, 2015, 02:10:10 PM »
Sounded great!   :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline SaltPeter

• Can't you just be Serious for once in your Life!
« Reply #2091 on: July 10, 2015, 05:21:21 PM »
Great Adventure .... thanks for sharing it Bo  :cheers:

Pete  :-D
The Mission is to go as fast as possible along on that old Road Less Traveled.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2092 on: July 12, 2015, 03:16:10 PM »
Wow, Ivan.  That flick shows one thing about the sand.  A gentle start is needed so as not to break the tire loose.  Although that was an exit at low throttle, the bike was sorta squirrely.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2093 on: August 14, 2015, 12:36:40 AM »
The bike made it as far as Portland.  Now it is hung up in customs.  The issues are some paperwork problems I cannot begin to understand.

This does not deter me from the big challenge.  That is how to go a lot faster and to get my old FIM record back at 2016 BMST.  It got raised last year to over 160 mph.  I am scared to look it up and see the actual number.  Pistons are on hand to raise the static compression ratio into the twelves.  It was 10.5 to 1 before.  They will be sent out for ceramic coating next week.  This will add a few mph to the 146 the bike runs now.

There is a sale on race cams at Triumph Performance.  A pair of race knockers will set me back about $600 which includes the sale reduction and racer discount.  Not a bad price so two are on order.  I sent in the OEM cams for my street Bonneville to be used as blanks.  Right now I am using a pair of midrange cams in the LSR bike that are great for hill climbing, scrambling, and motocross.  It will be nice to get the Mae West grinds.

A spec card will come with the cams.  Standard equations will be used with this data to calculate the air flow past the valves.  I am almost certain that sonic choke will be a problem.  The figuring will tell me the valve sizes I need.

The advance curve will be reprogrammed for a 9,400 rpm cutoff with a new curve.  It cuts out at 8,400 rpm now.

That's it.  About 100 hp is what I expect.  Not enough.  Cherubs will fly down behind me and blow me through the mile faster than I will normally go.  I saw these little rascals on church ceilings throughout Europe so I know they are there.  Devine Wind, that is what I am counting on.       

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2094 on: August 15, 2015, 12:20:46 PM »
I use the Saints. They're good for any speed I ask. :-D

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2095 on: August 19, 2015, 01:25:23 AM »
The 2016 build will use the aggressive cams and the new pistons.  The pistons say 13:1 on the box.  The head has standard size exhaust valves and 2mm larger intakes.  The combustion chamber was enlarged around the intake valves to reduce shrouding and to promote air flow.  This lowers the static compression ratio to 12:1.  All my engines have bear names.  Baby bear, mama bear and papa bear are built.  This new one will be grizzly bear.

The engine for 2017 will be the same with a few differences.  I might try to build a 2 into 1 header with megga designed using software.  Also, the intake ports will be reworked do they are downdraft rather than side draft.  The critical measurement on a standard cylinder head is the distance between the bottom of the intake valve spring pocket and the top of the intake port.  The distance is about 10mm on this almost new cylinder head from the scrap pile.  This distance will be reduced to 5mm when the ports are straightened.  There is room for the modification.  It will take me over a year to get this engine together.  It is the part of the 2017 build.  This hot mama will be "Kodiak" bear.       

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2096 on: August 19, 2015, 09:09:30 AM »
I can't bear this build anymore. :-D :-D :-D

Way to go Bo. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline JimL

« Reply #2097 on: August 19, 2015, 12:32:22 PM »
Bo, my heads use shorter springs and thick aluminum spacers under the spring seat washer.  This allows moving the top of the port a little higher (thinner) with the spring still supported.  The lower radius of the intake port gets shaped where the corner-turn area occurs, but the bottom of the port face is NOT opened up...only the top, upwards (and sideways).  You can actually use JB weld if you fall through into the thick spacer (we had lots of heads to mess with and never got that far).

This requires those fabricated heavy steel manifolds I use, to fit the new higher inlet port position in the head.  The goal is a higher and better angled intake port....not just the size.  A small improvement in angle will move that 0.5 Mach problem a little higher in the rev range than you might think.

Boy....what a bunch of confusing sentences I just wrote.  :|

Anyway....its the best you can do if the aluminum is crappy like mine and cant be welded up to move the port upward.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2098 on: August 20, 2015, 12:26:28 AM »
The Triumph head was originally developed for a 790cc engine and it is now a 995 one with the same stroke.  The intake valve centers are too close together and the exhausts, too, for this size bore.  Up to 6mm larger valves can be used.  Shrouding becomes an issue with valves this size unless a lot of metal is removed all around them.  Moderate size valves are needed so they will be unshrouded without adding a lot of combustion chamber volume.  Straightening the inlet tract, like Jim says, helps to avoid sonic choke problems.  It means that smaller, better breathing, valves can be used.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2099 on: August 28, 2015, 09:13:37 PM »
The cylinder head flow test results are plotted.  The exhaust cam that has been in the engine for a few years has 0.388 lift and the exhaust valves are standard size.  The flow curve shows the valves and ports certainly are not oversized for the in the bike now.  It will be a good idea to enlarge them before installing the higher lift cam.

The intake cam also has 0.388 lift and the intake valves are 2mm larger than standard.  The flow curve flattens out at lifts above 0.300.  A higher lift knocker will not do any good until the valves and ports are enlarged to handle the flow.

Horsepower is directly proportional to intake flow at 28 inches according to some commonly used equations.  The flow limitation in the cyl head limits horsepower.