Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438079 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #2055 on: May 24, 2015, 09:42:21 AM »
 :cheers:  :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2056 on: May 24, 2015, 10:10:23 AM »
One of the few times I wish I had cable Bo! Well done. Keep up the great work.  :-D :-D :-D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Hoody

« Reply #2057 on: May 24, 2015, 10:22:23 AM »
If possible can you find out the name of the programme? And maybe roughly when it will be broadcast? may be available through other sources?

Offline Sporty Dan

« Reply #2058 on: May 24, 2015, 01:59:52 PM »
Way to go!  :cheers: Now that you're a movie star, what will you do next?  :-D Seriously, way to go on the record run! That is fantastic! Best of luck for the fuel runs.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2059 on: May 25, 2015, 04:43:33 AM »
The TV fellows wanted me to run yesterday for an action footage.  I sez, "look fellows, I am 61 yeas old, and I need a break to do the laundry, redo the bike for fuel, relax, get a good night's sleep, etc."  They left yesterday evening so I am not sure if they will include me.  They did not get everything they wanted.

The short course we used for the kilo was between the public beach and the MOD drain outfall mentioned previously.  The long course will not fit there.  It is down further on the beach and the start is past the soft sand near the outfall.  They ran yesterday and John Renwick totalled the Althomethious sidecar streamliner.  He is banged up a little bit but no broken bones or anything serious.

The flying mile will be run again today.  I need to get a new wristband and put the bike through tech again.  Nervous about this one, I am.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2060 on: May 26, 2015, 05:21:12 AM »
Thermal management is a big issue.  The races are short sprints from a standing start and the compression ratio is low at 8.9 to 1 in the 865cc block.  Not much performance can be generated with gasoline so some can tipping is done.  The premise is that in this situation the combustion temps can be raised a bit without increasing them too much.  The gasoline to fuel conversion needs to be simple enough to be done in a day in a remote location without a lot of tools or supplies.

Nitropropane is added at 2oz per gallon with toluene at 1 oz per gallon and another 1 oz per gallon of secret ingredients.  A light dose, for sure.  The bike is using standard Triumph pistons so discretion is best.  Two runs were made on the 25th and we set two British national records.

1000cc modified partial streamliner, modified engine, fuel, flying start quarter mile on sand, 129.252 mph

1000cc modified partial streamliner, modified engine, fuel, standing start mile on sand, 130.130.914 mph

The nitroprop did the trick.  The race is over and we are coming home, tired and happy. 

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2061 on: May 26, 2015, 07:44:42 AM »
Congratulations Bo! A most successful trip. Well done!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Your thorough approach has rewarded you big time.  :-D :-D :-D :-D

Pete
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 07:46:32 AM by Peter Jack »

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #2062 on: May 26, 2015, 08:29:37 AM »
Bo, I am so happy for you.

Congratulations !!! ... you deserve it

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline salt27

« Reply #2063 on: May 26, 2015, 10:00:40 AM »
Bo, You did us Webfoots proud.   :cheers:

Don

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #2064 on: May 26, 2015, 07:33:15 PM »
YAH HOO........YIPPEE......... :-D :-D :-D :-D

A modern TRIUMPH twin doing 130mph on the sand :-o :-o :-o

Bo.........Have a great time while you can..............when you get home that motor will need all you've got planned for it .........and maybe a little more for your ultimate test on the salt :-) :-) :-)
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2065 on: May 27, 2015, 04:38:24 PM »
Thanks, all.  It is the inaugural meet for the Pendine sands race under Auto Cycle Union rules so we all got records.  The Straightliners and Pendine Landspeed clubs sponsored it so there were a lot of British 1/4 and 1 mile sprint bikes in the altered classes.  I was alone in my class with a modified partial streamliner.

The kilo track was set within a short distance on the Ministry of Defense part of the beach between the public access at Pendine village and the soft sand near the MOD building water treatment system outfall mentioned previously.  It was maybe a mile and a half long or a bit less.  The sand near the MOD outfall is soft and the racers call it "porridge."

The Triumph was doing between 100 and 110 mph through the traps at the kilo and I used considerable distance to gently drop the nose before doing the serious slow down.  Somewhere between 80 and 90 mph I hit the porridge.  As you can imagine, things got interesting in a jiffy.  The bike snaked all over the place and the huge decel caused by the narrow front tire digging down into the sand tried to throw me over the bars.  I learned to not panic and to keep my weight as far to the rear as far as possible.

Lesson learned.  Use a light road race fairing like the ones that Gene Romero, Dick Mann, and others used at Daytona.  Use as wide and large diameter front tire as practical.  As seen in the pix, that was not how I was set up.

As a side note, the bike was put in the crate today and in the photo they are getting ready to slip it back into the storage container at Enterprise Self Storage on Kemys Way in Swansea, Wales.  The folks that work there are real nice and they helped me to recrate the bike.  The shipper will take it from them in a week or so.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2066 on: May 27, 2015, 05:06:14 PM »
These photos, courtesy of Gretchen, show the beach and kilo track.  The first foto faces west and it shows the rock bluff and point that is a fixture in so many of the race photos from the 20's and 30's.  It also shows why there is no racing during high tide.  The second pix is from the bluff facing east showing the public beach and village at Pendine.  Note the start of the kilo in the distance.  The third picture shows the kilo track. 

Offline comet

« Reply #2067 on: May 28, 2015, 04:35:23 AM »
Great stuff. Well done. Really well done. Congratulations.
It was a shame to John Renwick had a spill though.

It sounds like the weather was on your side for the event.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2068 on: May 28, 2015, 05:45:34 AM »
The weather was great.  It was not warm enough to get the local lasses into their bikinis, but it was not raining during the meet.

This silver bike and the red one behind it race at Bonneville.  They are BSA bantams.  If that is not enough of a handicap, they are the littlest ones, the 125's.  This silver one went the fastest.  The results say John Meredith, 125cc Modified Partial Streamlining, Vintage Gas, 87.536 mph standing start mile, 87.105 flying quarter mile, and 56.785 standing start kilo.

The mile time is the speed through the traps at the end of the mile.  The flying quarter time is the average speed between 3/4 and 1 mile.  Similar mile and quarter speeds indicate the bike has topped out before the 3/4 mile mark. 

The mile track was moved down the beach with the start line west of the porridge,  The entire track and run out area was on firm sand and easy to ride.  One pix shows the little bantam being pushed off of the line on the long track.  That silver Bantam made one kilo run and six mile runs.  That is very impressive for the little BSA. 

Two runs were all I did on the long track.  It seems 130 mph is all it can do.  The pistons are those standard cast Triumph ones with the crows reworked with an angle grinder.  Common sense says all I could do with more runs is to wear out or break expensive stuff.  I was a spectator after long track run 2.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2069 on: May 28, 2015, 11:58:12 AM »
Right now I am on the train between Swansea and London.  It is sad to leave Wales.  The family across the isle has a Jack Russell terrier.  He is well behaved and sitting in his seat just like a regular passenger.

A few of the people racing here had done it before.  Most had not.  There was a run watcha brung (RWB) class for people to try out their bikes, just like at the Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials.  Note the plate on this drag bike to keep the head from blowing off.  It used a drag slick.  These guys were having all sorts of fun.  The entry is Chris Emmens, 1960 Triumph 750cc, Standing Start Kilo at 103.984.