Author Topic: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners  (Read 1438272 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Team Go Dog, Go! Modified Partial Streamliners
« Reply #2040 on: May 20, 2015, 10:43:51 AM »
That last post is what I feel.  It is hard to write about that kind of thing.  We have a solid program.  Eight years of with speeds higher than the year before and four records.  Technology is moving ahead so fast in the 1000cc class it is hard to keep up.

The plan is to race this year at Pendine, put the high compression pistons and the big cylinders on for 2016 BMST and try to go over 150 mph, then to look at other options.  I am not sure if anyone has set a land speed record on a Matchless.  That sounds like something I could do with a bit of work. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2041 on: May 21, 2015, 02:33:07 PM »
This place is beautiful and the people are nice.  Bonnie the bike is in a rented transit van right next to a beach cottage we are staying in.  The truck has a stick shift on the right side of the wheel.  Driving here was a real thrill for us and many of the other drivers.  The hard and dangerous part is done.  Now it is time for tame stuff like racing.

Right now I am typing this in a dive smelling like spilled chip vinegar, stale beer, with disco lights and oliva newton john blaring on the speakers.  A more descriptive post with pictures will come when I find a better place to post it.  - Team Go Dog Go from Pendine Village on Pendine Sands.

Offline joea

« Reply #2042 on: May 21, 2015, 03:06:47 PM »
freaking awesome..!!!

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #2043 on: May 21, 2015, 03:43:28 PM »
YES!!!  :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2044 on: May 21, 2015, 04:12:42 PM »
GO DO IT BO!!!   :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #2045 on: May 21, 2015, 06:18:51 PM »
Excellent sir!  :cheers: GO MAN GO!!  :cheers:
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2046 on: May 22, 2015, 06:06:05 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement and advice.  Last night I walked a mile on the west end of the beach and talked to a local fisherman.  He said the Ministry of Defense has a complex of buildings on the bluff above the beach.  The waste water outfall dumps onto the beach and makes it real soft in one spot.  Otherwise, he says the beach should be hard and firm if we do not tear it up.  He pointed out to me the place and said with a heavy Welsh accent "identify and avoid."

Offline Hoody

« Reply #2047 on: May 22, 2015, 07:52:26 AM »
This should be nearby if you have time to kill as well? http://www.carmarthenshire-pages.co.uk/attractions/museum_of_speed.html Acording to wiki it sometimes displays this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babs_%28land_speed_record_car%29

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2048 on: May 22, 2015, 09:15:45 AM »
Thanks, Hoody.  The pits are right next to the museum and Babs will make a visit tomorrow.  Two members of landracing.com are here.  PJ and Peter D. Allen.

The course is behind the big and little signs.  We thought the Ministry of Defense was kind enough to be closing the area for the race.  The guy in the guard tower explained it differently.  "Stay back.  Read the signs."  The course is a firing range this afternoon.       

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2049 on: May 22, 2015, 11:57:36 AM »
Welch must be one of the most difficult languages in the world!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2050 on: May 22, 2015, 12:31:22 PM »
Been hitting the grape juice, Neil?

Welsh is even more difficulter.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline krusty

« Reply #2051 on: May 23, 2015, 06:19:53 AM »
^^^Excellent, Stan, excellent ^^^ :cheers:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2052 on: May 23, 2015, 12:16:51 PM »
Sour grapes, Stan?   :-D

That made me LOL!

Offline bones

« Reply #2053 on: May 23, 2015, 07:12:13 PM »
Hey Bo

DO NOT GIVE UP   (sorry for shouting)
    The matchless is a good idea-- g12 650?
    There is a bloke in New Zealand wit a classic sidecar which smashes all the Triumph and BSA's
    They have a center bearing and with a bunch of Yamaha xs650 parts they are fast and reliable.

All the best for the race meeting
    See you at BMST

Bones

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2054 on: May 24, 2015, 07:00:14 AM »
Hi Bones.  I am staying with the bike.  It takes a lot of beach to slow the warhorse down and get turned.  Hitting mushy wet sand and at 80+ and patches of deep dry sand on the decel is tough.  The Trusty Triumph carried me through.

All runs standing kilo sand.  Only one track was running.

Run 1 at 56 mph while I cruised through and figured out the track layout and marking.

Run 2 at 99 mph.  A weave is limiting my speed.  I back off on the throttle when it starts.

Run 3 at 101mph.  I try powering through the weave and this does not work.  It just gets worse.  I run over a huge jellyfish on the shutdown.

Run 4 at 110.984.  British National record run, 1000cc Modified Partial Streamliner, Modified Engine, Gasoline.  My arse is back in the saddle to get traction on the loose sand for runs 1 through 3.  My CG is too far back in comparison the the CP.  That causes the weave, I figure.  This run I sit far forward where I am humping the back of the tank.  It works.  No weave.   The only thing limiting speed is wheel spin.

Run 5 at 107 mph.  The course has a big wallow in it about 2/3 way down that kicks the back of the bike up in the air.  The sand is getting loose and traction is dropping.  That's all for yesterday.

Today the tide will be going out and racing will start in the afternoon on the long course.  I will not be down on the beach.  This afternoon the carbs will be pulled off and the main jets switched and needles reset for fuel.  The fuel blend needs to be used within a few hours after it is blended.  The plan for tomorrow is to have the bike rejetted and ready to go in the morning, then to pour the nitropropane and toluene mix into the gas, shake it up, and race.

The fiasco will be shown on Canada's discovery channel.  They are interviewing me and taking all sorts of movie shots.

Cheers from Pendine - WW